• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No cards anywhere?... (Of any kind)

Associate
Am I missing something here?

Are you seriously telling me that pc gaming is basically impossible for any new commers now and for the foreseeable future?

I've been in this game since 1985 and have never seen the industry so ******.

As someone said, you can get an xbox and playstation 5 and enjoy gaming for 450£.

oh wait they are not available too.:D

Associate
It was always a bad idea, esp when the region's main powers are not always friendly to the West, either :p

But as with everything else, money talks. China is cheap as chips to assemble things. Not quite so easy to explain how SK and Taiwan became manufacturing powerhouses... although proximity to China probably helped!
China might be cheap as chips but their specialization is rather low and the leading manufacturers countries in the world are not exactly on political good terms with China either.

Soldato
Cards are fairly easy to pick up in Hong Kong shops, so long as you can prove no pro-democracy leanings. If not they give you a warehouse address on the mainland, and details of where to buy your one-way ticket.

Caporegime
What I did is sold my old GPU's on eBay for the going (inflated) rate, which then gave me enough money to buy a new one for the going (also inflated) rate.

It kinda balanced out in the end... But if you don't have a previous card to sell I imagine its pretty dire... :(

Associate
3060 is still quite possible to get, or rx 5500xt for 290 which was on sale the other day.

the crazy price is not just on GPU, but also with a lot other "hot" products in the market.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Let's not forget this issue is bigger then just the GPU gaming market. I know we all like to feel sorry for ourselves not being able to game on max FPS but this is a worldwide problem in all markets that require chips and wafers. There are car manufacturers bringing down their projected profit and revenue forecasts by billions because they can build the cars but they can't get the chips required! We are talking about luxurious $60k+ cars sitting in parking lot's waiting for chips to be delivered to customers.

Will things improve? No they won't you can't just simply increase production without the production facilities and capacity. If multi billion dollar companies are forecasting a lasting shortage that's only going to get worse they are probably right.
nail head well and truly struck here...drastic increases in silicon demand in recent years...even your bloody toaster is getting smart...has pushed silicon fabrication facilities to their limit. You can't just throw up another silicon fab, it's usually a multi-year process, and quite simply, they aren't being built fast enough to cope with demand.
The fact that both major console manufacturers, most major phone manufacturers, both major CPU manufacturers and both major graphics manufacturers all decided to launch new models over a five month period just brought this issue to the forefront

Associate
Why does this very high silicon demand not seem to effect things like apple ipads, macbooks, samsung galaxy mobiles phones and lots of other stuff ?

I'm no expert but I imagine Samsung and Apple will be impacted the least by this as they're the biggest customers for wafers and they're buying capacity in huge quantities at a discounted and set price. This allows things like iPads to remain the same price.

I can see a price hike when the next generation of Apple stuff comes out to reflect the current market though.

Back
Top Bottom