*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Hi

Little bit of help required ref my ap in Standalone mode.

I am on virgin media 600mb BB.
Have had a UAP AC LR for over 2 years running in Standalone mode. Speeds are not too great (ie mobile phone using chip sets that have newer wifi chips as well as old apple air ipads), 80mb , 33mb on brand new laptop in different location.

I know the Ap is not running to its full potential as tried my asus router which runs alongside VM Hub 4 in modem mode (normally have the wifi turned off and only use the UAP so no conflicting WIFI zones etc). With Wifi turned on the asus the pages refresh much quicker and than the AC LR. Speeds of 300mb download. uploads always no higher than 30mb with Virgin.

Thinking that it could be the wrong channels as all set to auto mode, i played about with this and end up getting faster on some devices but then others it sometimes says cannot access the internet.
Used the RF spectrum and still couldn't get my head around the best channels to use.

My only route left is to use some controller and log in and check, enable band steering etc or use their air something scanner.

What are my options here guys if i wanted to make changes other than what i can in standalone mode?
Is there a cloud key you plug in to your network switch? Do you have to pay a sub? Does the cloud key (hardware device) run 247 and send a wifi signal all the time or does it run over Ethernet.

I originally thought the problem might be the asus router (doing all the dchp and brains behind delivery of internet to the ap) so was going to upgrade this but thinking i should check the AP first before spending any money.

Thanks in advance, all input appreciated.

Soldato
Hi

Little bit of help required ref my ap in Standalone mode.

I am on virgin media 600mb BB.
Have had a UAP AC LR for over 2 years running in Standalone mode. Speeds are not too great (ie mobile phone using chip sets that have newer wifi chips as well as old apple air ipads), 80mb , 33mb on brand new laptop in different location.

I know the Ap is not running to its full potential as tried my asus router which runs alongside VM Hub 4 in modem mode (normally have the wifi turned off and only use the UAP so no conflicting WIFI zones etc). With Wifi turned on the asus the pages refresh much quicker and than the AC LR. Speeds of 300mb download. uploads always no higher than 30mb with Virgin.

Thinking that it could be the wrong channels as all set to auto mode, i played about with this and end up getting faster on some devices but then others it sometimes says cannot access the internet.
Used the RF spectrum and still couldn't get my head around the best channels to use.

My only route left is to use some controller and log in and check, enable band steering etc or use their air something scanner.

What are my options here guys if i wanted to make changes other than what i can in standalone mode?
Is there a cloud key you plug in to your network switch? Do you have to pay a sub? Does the cloud key (hardware device) run 247 and send a wifi signal all the time or does it run over Ethernet.

I originally thought the problem might be the asus router (doing all the dchp and brains behind delivery of internet to the ap) so was going to upgrade this but thinking i should check the AP first before spending any money.

Thanks in advance, all input appreciated.

Effectively, adding a UniFi Cloud Key will get you no appreciable benefit. All the key parameters you need to manipulate are available in the standard-alone mode on the app. Adding a controller will get you very little.

I would start off with disabling auto. Set your 2.4GHz band to channel 1, 6 or 11 and set VHT to 40. Set your 5GHz band to channel 36 and set VHT to 80. That gives you all the available bandwidth.

Associate
Hi Roy, many thanks for the response, I am trying your suggestion,

On the phone app i also have a option for transmit power auto , high , medium , low for 2g and 5g, what should these be for each please?

Soldato
getting real bored of this now..

alert that an AP has disconnected, so half my wifi is down. controller says heartbeat lost but the AP can still be SSH'd. it connected to the same switch as the Ubuntu VM running the controller.

i just randomly lose my APs at for no particular reason. SSH and "reboot" and up it comes again.

controller 6.0.45.0. ac-lites on 4.3.28.11361. but has happened on multiple different firmwares now.

vE4b8h1.jpg

Associate
Hi thanks, seems bit faster but tends to drop back to 2g allot.

Without controller can I turn on band steering? Maybe this the last piece of the puzzle?

When I reboot AP with new settings will go way high to 200MB as on 5g and shows full bars, but then drops few minutes to 2g

Soldato
You can turn on band steering from the app. But that just tells your AP to try 5GHz first. If the clients don’t want to stay on 5GHz (and it sounds like they don’t) then there is nothing to be gained from it.

How is the access point mounted? On the ceiling or a wall?

Associate
Hi, currently sideways not flush on the ceiling. I have tried both ways previously with same results. So it's on a wall not ceiling.

I have not tried to switch location since making the channel changes today

Soldato
I would start off with disabling auto. Set your 2.4GHz band to channel 1, 6 or 11 and set VHT to 40. Set your 5GHz band to channel 36 and set VHT to 80. That gives you all the available bandwidth.

Bad advice.
You cant recommend channels for others without them doing a site survey to see what congestion is like on the available channels.
He needs to use a wifi analyzer app on the phone or access points site survey to see what's in use.
Most residential users just fit and forget the standard router ap they get so manually setting it means you can select dfs frequencies that are not used as standard by isp access points giving you easy options on the 5ghz band.

Soldato
i just randomly lose my APs at for no particular reason. SSH and "reboot" and up it comes again.

controller 6.0.45.0. ac-lites on 4.3.28.11361. but has happened on multiple different firmwares now.

Disconnected doesn't necessarily mean that the AP isn't broadcasting, it could just mean that the controller can't manage the AP. Before you reboot it next time, SSH in and do 'info' rather than reboot. I have an AP in an office in Rome (the only AP there) that will occasionally like to disconnect from the controller but the people in the office still have working wifi.

How is the AP connected? Is it wired into a switch?

Soldato
Bad advice.
You cant recommend channels for others without them doing a site survey to see what congestion is like on the available channels.
He needs to use a wifi analyzer app on the phone or access points site survey to see what's in use.
Most residential users just fit and forget the standard router ap they get so manually setting it means you can select dfs frequencies that are not used as standard by isp access points giving you easy options on the 5ghz band.

Rather than criticising my advice, why not actually offer some yourself?

Soldato
Bad advice.

It took me a little while to find it, but page 28 of the UBNT Ubiquiti Wireless Network Administrator training guide (entitled Troubleshooting iOS devices) states “for 5GHz, select Channel 36 and set the channel width appropriately”. So apparently not such bad advice.

Soldato
Soldato
Bad advice.
My AP AC Pro's have a channel scanner function - theyu will scan the surrounding area for used/unused channels

Soldato
It took me a little while to find it, but page 28 of the UBNT Ubiquiti Wireless Network Administrator training guide (entitled Troubleshooting iOS devices) states “for 5GHz, select Channel 36 and set the channel width appropriately”. So apparently not such bad advice.

that is bad advice, if everyone followed it channel 36 would be rammed while everything else empty.

Soldato
Disconnected doesn't necessarily mean that the AP isn't broadcasting, it could just mean that the controller can't manage the AP. Before you reboot it next time, SSH in and do 'info' rather than reboot. I have an AP in an office in Rome (the only AP there) that will occasionally like to disconnect from the controller but the people in the office still have working wifi.

How is the AP connected? Is it wired into a switch?
I'll check that next time, but clients had either dropped WiFi or those in range moved to the other ap so it seems it had stopped broadcasting. Both of my lites seem to do it randomly.

This one is wired to my main switch via ui injector. The other is powered off an ERX (configured as switch) at the other end of a poweline link (powerline is pretty reliable knock wood).

Associate
getting real bored of this now..

alert that an AP has disconnected, so half my wifi is down. controller says heartbeat lost but the AP can still be SSH'd. it connected to the same switch as the Ubuntu VM running the controller.

vE4b8h1.jpg

Turn off gateway monitoring.

Edit -

Its called "Uplink Connectivity Monitor", with the description of "Used to determine if your APs have a valid network connection".

Soldato
Finally decided to decommission this since the new vodafone vox3 does decent wifi.

IMG-20210307-175348.jpg

Had this for a very long time need to check my paperwork it could be 10years old or more.
Anyone ever used one before?

Soldato
Has anyone here had much joy with TVs that won't join 5Ghz AC networks?

I've got a TCL C185K with AC WiFi. For some reason, it only joins my 2.4Ghz band.

Its only ~5 meters from a nanoHD AP, direct line of sight. Other devices in the same room connect and get over 500mbps performance (Actual internet performance using my 500mbit VMG internet).

Using the Netflix App 'Troubleshooting', this suggests I'm only getting about 50-70mbits via the Wireless N network.

All/any help appreciated.

What channel is your 5Ghz on? Some TVs it seems (LG c8 OLED in my case), don't like DFS channels

You are spot on. Not using a DFS works perfectly. Trying to get onto a DFS channel and it says the password for the network is incorrect.

I have manuallye changed the channel to a non DFS one, and it works perfectly... but then the next day its swapping back to the DFS channels.... any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom