Combi Boiler Nerds (Or Heating Engineers) - Which boiler?

Soldato
So, my 14 year old Ideal Isar (Yes, I managed to actually get one of these to last this long.....) REALLY needs replacing now and I am stuck as to what to get.

My boiler man swears by Baxi and has suggested a BAXI 630 with 7 year warranty installed for £1700, or a cheaper alternative as a Main Ecotec 30 with 5 year warranty at £1500 (Apparently the same boiler with a different badge).

My Uncle, who is a retired heating engineer and now a boiler consultant, has said I should look down the route of a Worcester 30si, which is coming in at £1930 installed - 10 year warranty.

I have also had a quote on a Vaillant ecoTEC pro 30 at £2208 fitted, 10 year warranty and a fancy WiFi connection. Uncle says this is above what he would consider to be a reasonable price for this boiler.

My boiler man says he doesn't like Worcester, because despite their good reputation, they have "cheap plastic parts in which split". My uncle like Vaillant as a preference but puts Baxi in third place between these four options.

I am looking to sell the house in 1-3 years, so I do not want to spend a fortune, but need to make sure it has a decent boiler so as not to put off buyers and give myself something to "do the job" in the meantime.

I therefore don't care about long warranty period or if it is WiFi enabled, but want it to be enough to not give someone cause for concern when buying the house wondering if it needs imminent replacement.

£2k was really the most I was wanting to spend. The house is a 3 modern 3 bed Semi with 2 bathrooms. My gas bill is about £300 a year.

What say thee, boiler geeks of OCUK?

Man of Honour
I am looking to sell the house in 1-3 years, so I do not want to spend a fortune, but need to make sure it has a decent boiler so as not to put off buyers and give myself something to "do the job" in the meantime.
Put in whatever works out cheapest which has sufficient warranty to cover you until you sell.

Associate
Your boiler man seems quite expensive compared to what I was quoted and paid last January to get mine replaced. Ended up getting a Baxi 836 installed for £1550 which includes a 10yr warranty. He also quoted £1300 fitted for a Baxi 636 with 7yr warranty, but as we're not moving anytime soon we opted for the longer warranty of the 836.

Soldato
OP
Your boiler man seems quite expensive compared to what I was quoted and paid last January to get mine replaced. Ended up getting a Baxi 836 installed for £1550 which includes a 10yr warranty. He also quoted £1300 fitted for a Baxi 636 with 7yr warranty, but as we're not moving anytime soon we opted for the longer warranty of the 836.

Who was that through? Assuming you are NE Newcastle, you aren't a million miles from me

Soldato
Shop around get plenty of quotes the prices will vary massively. Make sure you are comparing like for like ie if one has a wifi thermostat then of course it will be more expensive but it will be available with a big standard thermostat.

If you plan to sell the house just get cheap with a good warranty and make sure it is serviced as required. No point buying something flash if you are not staying. Does what you have really need replacing? If it works I wouldn’t get rid of it you won’t save any money!

Associate
Who was that through? Assuming you are NE Newcastle, you aren't a million miles from me

Yeah, I'm in Gateshead. Was fitted by Clarks Heating and Plumbing. Just had a look on their FB page and the prices have gone up. Looks like they offer the Baxi 630 for £1500, and the 830 for £1800 now

Associate
Cripes that's cheap, I had a quote yesterday (granted it's to replace an antiquated unvented cylinder system) that's more than double what you would be paying installed.
Though, I guess that might be because it's not like for like!

Soldato
OP
Decided to go for the Main.

Crazy it it literally the exact same boiler with a different badge on it...

Soldato
Ideal are the daddies at the moment, with WB and Vaillant not far behind. Baxi are also worth a shout.

That said, ive had a Biasi for 4 years in a flat and its lasted longer than i thought it would, i made sure the system was properly flushed and balanced once installed.
Never thought I'd hear that but tbf I had an Ideal fitted under the Warm Front government scheme in 2007/8 when my late father was really poorly. Still going strong despite utter neglect (but almost 24x7 use as Mum loves a hot house).

Man of Honour
Ideal are the daddies at the moment, with WB and Vaillant not far behind. Baxi are also worth a shout.
We have an Ideal C35 as fitted when the house was new in 2014. I've had to have the heat exchanger replaced however it was covered under British Gas Homecare. There's a Potterman in the new house we're buying, I hope it lasts a bit longer than the Ideal has.

Soldato
OP
That's my bill for two months!
I live alone, have very good insulation and wear shorts and T-Shirt most of the year round. Heating gets set to 18c and used no more than 3 hours per day in the middle of winter. So I pretty much use it mostly for hot water / showers and the gas hob.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Ideal have really upped their game in the last 5+ years, I work in the controls industry and we get to analyse failures rates and what not, and ideal along with their warranty make them a top proposition.

Viessmann are another newish entrant into the UK market worth looking at.

On the topic of gas bills, I pay £200 a month, i have elderly parents and stupidly old house :(

Capodecina
Soldato
For what it is worth, Viessmann were rated the best boiler by Which? for three years running - for some strange reason, last year they were not rated so highly.

However, you are not looking for a long-life boiler and you say that you live in a modern house so go for the cheapest boiler with a five year warranty :)

Back
Top Bottom