• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card prices?

Associate
There is a 3060 without waterblock on an auction site for £449.00 so I hope that`s given you an idea of how outrageous £1400 is.

By the way, I want a 3060 myself but £449.00 is still way too expensive. The MSRP is £299 which is still expensive because the 2060 was selling for that 12 months ago.

Every single auction of cheaper cards that I've seen was a scam - as in, when you click buy eBay shows that this seller has been blocked and auction doesn't exist anymore. That's about all models below £1k and recently even 3080s for £1200+ show that often.

Soldato
thought i quoted the wrong person, turns out i didn't :D

I saw.

Just to confirm, I think the current situation stinks and although easy for me to say, I wish mining wasn't a thing and all gamers could get a card at rrp.

I caved and mined on it. Made it free when 1070 sale taken into account.

Bought to game first and foremost so my conscience is relatively clear.

Associate
I saw.

Just to confirm, I think the current situation stinks and although easy for me to say, I wish mining wasn't a thing and all gamers could get a card at rrp.

I caved and mined on it. Made it free when 1070 sale taken into account.

Bought to game first and foremost so my conscience is relatively clear.
that wasnt what i was getting at, more the fact that people keep saying you cant get them at rrp when you can. but like you said you already know that :)

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Last I heard that store in Bolton is still a retail store :p
Just to clarify, in this case they are a fulfilment hub, Nvidia set the pricing, that store ships them. This was done to bypass the Irish sea border issue, otherwise Nvidia would have continued to fulfil from their Irish fulfilment hub.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
makes sense in anycase you can still get them at mrsp direct. :)

The FE gives nvidia the ability to say it's cards are priced cheaper.
Exactly, and why are they doing this? reviews.
& why can they maintain their pricing when nobody else can?
shorter supply chain and 65% margin to swallow up price increases.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2021 | NVIDIA Newsroom

I have absolutely no issue with people who want to buy FE, my only issue is with those who expect Nvidia's partners to be able to supply their own cards at Nvidia's MSRP when;
They usually make less than a third of the profit margin than Nvidia (circa 15%)
Their coolers are often better quality, & their PCBs are often larger, with more VRMs (cards run cooler & quieter than FE)
They have to ship to hundreds, possibly even thousands of resellers & distributors globals (who also want their share of the profit) vs Nvidia who can ship to a handful of global fulfilment hubs who operate on a flat, contracted service fee.

The only way that Nvidia's AIB will be able to hit MSRP in the current climate is if Nvidia slash their GPU margins by half and that's never going to happen.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
It's very difficult to buy from Nvidia, though.

I got lucky with a 3090 in Jan. Since then, I've been trying to get a hold of either a 3070 or a 3080 and despite getting involved with three drops and getting one in my basket two of those times, I've not managed to actually get one.

I've been told by few people already that if you got any FE card of the 3k series they will NOT let you buy any other - it's supposedly one per customer, irrelevant of the model bought. Which sounds very odd to me and I did not get confirmation either way from the store yet.

Associate
Exactly, and why are they doing this? reviews.
& why can they maintain their pricing when nobody else can?
shorter supply chain and 65% margin to swallow up price increases.

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2021 | NVIDIA Newsroom

I have absolutely no issue with people who want to buy FE, my only issue is with those who expect Nvidia's partners to be able to supply their own cards at Nvidia's MSRP when;
They usually make less than a third of the profit margin than Nvidia (circa 15%)
Their coolers are often better quality, & their PCBs are often larger, with more VRMs (cards run cooler & quieter than FE)
They have to ship to hundreds, possibly even thousands of resellers & distributors globals (who also want their share of the profit) vs Nvidia who can ship to a handful of global fulfilment hubs who operate on a flat, contracted service fee.

The only way that Nvidia's AIB will be able to hit MSRP in the current climate is if Nvidia slash their GPU margins by half and that's never going to happen.

I don't think anyone has an issue with AIB cards costing more than FE ones. I think 50-100% more starts to look a little bit like profiteering, if you ask me.

Are you suggesting the 3080s being sold at over £1k, the 6900xts at £1500+, 3090s at £2k+ are being done at tight margins, no more than previous years?

I've been told by few people already that if you got any FE card of the 3k series they will NOT let you buy any other - it's supposedly one per customer, irrelevant of the model bought. Which sounds very odd to me and I did not get confirmation either way from the store yet.

This was introduced a few drops ago, yes.

That's the reason why I missed out on the 3080 to be fair, the order was declined after payment. The two attempts after that were done with a different account, IP and payment details but they'd be sold before I could complete the checkout process.

Associate
I got my 3090fe on the last drop, and now it sits water cooled and very happy with it, sitting at 21c under quake RTX 34c thats it for me untill next gen!

I wonder if your system.is using more power or less overall, as a result of the water cooling.
The chip runs cooler, which means less voltage needed to push the same charge through, that's for sure. The fans are effectively moved from the card to the rads, and I think they are as also more efficient, being bigger. The pump is 'new' power but I expect overall that liquid cooling is still more energy efficient than air cooling.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
re you suggesting the 3080s being sold at over £1k, the 6900xts at £1500+, 3090s at £2k+ are being done at tight margins, no more than previous years?
Oh no absolutely not, I'm sure that everyone in the chain is making more margin than usual but less supply doesn't mean less overheads. With every single raw material including cardboard costing more...and tenfold increases in shipping costs...there is definitely considerable cost increases at play.
As I said earlier though
The FE supply chain is:
Fabrication
Factory
Fulfilment hub
End user
And Nvidia make well over 50% margin

The third party cards supply chain is;
Fabrication
Nvidia
AIB factory
AIB local hub
Distributor
Reseller
End user

And every step is an extra, inflated shipping cost.

I'm still firmly believe that each party wants/needs a bigger slice of the pie in the current climate, but the only party making 50% plus is Nvidia.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I wonder if your system.is using more power or less overall, as a result of the water cooling.
More, absolutely.
Because the card doesn't use less voltage unless it's downclocked.
Nvidia drivers actually boost the card higher due to the lower GPU temperature.
However for the increased power you get increased performance

GAC

GAC

Soldato
I'm still firmly believe that each party wants/needs a bigger slice of the pie in the current climate, but the only party making 50% plus is Nvidia.

wants/needs, everyone is taking the micky it seems, glenfiddich 18 year old single malt has suddenly gone up £10 for no apparent reason that i can so, seems covid was the excuse for everyone to get a bit more greedy.

in my mind 1% extra costs means everyone is at least doubling that to make back the lost profit and 1 extra for good measure.

Permabanned
The FE's are better looking, cooler and quieter than the AiB's this time around esp. the 3090FE, only issue they are crippled by a lower power limit at bios level.

The price is £1399 no matter what you are told above (not saying you can easily find one now but I and many did).

Permabanned
They are all out to make money, Nvidia until this gen did not have any partners outside BestBuy USA.

So you can now buy an FE here in UK via one partner (or at least could when there was stock) and it will still be @ MRSP not any higher (cannot control Ebay scalpers).

So stores would not be able/allowed to mark the FE's up if they did sell them so instead they sell you AiB's and yes no doubt it cost them more to purchase but theyre crazy overpriced.

I know it is easy for me to say sitting with a 3090FE (had a 1080Ti and Titan Xp now sold) but do not buy them, I got lucky mid Jan 2021 and caught one, some have even since.

Last edited:
Soldato
surprised other manufacturers like asus, msi, gigabyte etc havent gone the nvidia route and setup direct retail sales from their own websites bypassing any middle man and making even more profits.

Back
Top Bottom