• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
I was so excited about building a pc to play valheim with my friends instead of on my old laptop.

I now can't finish it because I don't want to be scalped. I even thought I stood a chance on a 6700xt today, lol how silly was I :(

Yeah I had a quick punt at the 6700XTs today to get my PC going again but honestly they were priced higher than 6800XTs (elsewhere, not sure about here).

I just can’t deal with that level of day light robbery lol, rather have nothing.

Associate
I'm tempted now need to send back my PSU for RMA and going prices for Red Devils 5700xt is £800 on the bay. Which is twice as much as I paid new. I think I'd be stupid not too.

Associate
I just sold my 5600xt on eBay for £510 , that was from some person sending me a best offer. Thought it was too good an offer to turn down. Managed to get hold of a Rtx3070 this morning for £650 . So £140 for the cost of the upgrade. It’s crazy how prices are still rising .

Associate
I just sold my 5600xt on eBay for £510 , that was from some person sending me a best offer. Thought it was too good an offer to turn down. Managed to get hold of a Rtx3070 this morning for £650 . So £140 for the cost of the upgrade. It’s crazy how prices are still rising .

£650 seems pretty cheap given everything I've seen (seen them at £800+), private sale or another retailer?

Last edited:
Associate
I’m sure this has been pointed out but selling expensive cards on the auction site seems pretty ballsy considering chargebacks etc. I thought about selling my 3090fe when I first saw the prices skyrocket but the risk of a chargeback months down the line really didn’t seem worth it. How do you protect yourself from that?

Associate
I’m not going to lie I’m very tempted to sell my 3080fe to the trade in place for £1190. Ive stuck it on fb to see if anyone is stupid enough to offer more, if not I may pop to cex on Monday.

it’s crazy it’s come to these prices, I guess mining had had a major part in it as I can’t see a normal gamer playing double rrp just to play games.

Associate
I’m sure this has been pointed out but selling expensive cards on the auction site seems pretty ballsy considering chargebacks etc. I thought about selling my 3090fe when I first saw the prices skyrocket but the risk of a chargeback months down the line really didn’t seem worth it. How do you protect yourself from that?
I sold my old PC and 2 GPUs on an auction site, all fine. What's a chargeback? :) Well if you get the card back all working fine I don't see a problem with a refund. You have to state about refund in the listing, mine was 'no refunds'. just copied what everyone else was doing, no refunds seem fairly standard, the card is working fine, they get it and it works, everyone is happy.

Associate
I sold my old PC and 2 GPUs on an auction site, all fine. What's a chargeback? :) Well if you get the card back all working fine I don't see a problem with a refund. You have to state about refund in the listing, mine was 'no refunds'. just copied what everyone else was doing, no refunds seem fairly standard, the card is working fine, they get it and it works, everyone is happy.
Its possible for buyers to charge back the money through PP (don't know if I can mention payment services on here) for arbitrary reasons with no need to send the item back, meaning sellers are left out of pocket and their item. I had this happen with a guitar I sold, the buyer claimed it was faulty months after the sale, they did it all through PP so the auction site never contacted me I just had the money deducted from my account. I tried to chase it up to no avail, they wouldn't force them to return the item and they basically washed their hands of the whole thing. It's a well known issue among sellers on there but big sellers just accept the loss because they can afford to. I'm sure it's quite rare but people are very angry about scalpers atm and that might cause a bitter buyer to f you over.

Caporegime
Its possible for buyers to charge back the money through PP (don't know if I can mention payment services on here) for arbitrary reasons with no need to send the item back, meaning sellers are left out of pocket and their item. I had this happen with a guitar I sold, the buyer claimed it was faulty months after the sale, they did it all through PP so the auction site never contacted me I just had the money deducted from my account. I tried to chase it up to no avail, they wouldn't force them to return the item and they basically washed their hands of the whole thing. It's a well known issue among sellers on there but big sellers just accept the loss because they can afford to. I'm sure it's quite rare but people are very angry about scalpers atm and that might cause a bitter buyer to f you over.

Here's hoping they do.... and hopefully they leave it to the last couple of weeks to really twist the knife in.... Buyer has every right to screw over scalpers taking advantage of this situation.

TBH, I'm kind of tempted to go out of my way to buy the items and do this for pure badness :p

Soldato
I haven't had many problems on Ebay over the years, but there's certainly a lot of risk if you get a bad buyer. They can open a case months later with Paypal and get their money back, and Paypal will not make them return the item either. This happened to me once, with a RAM kit that the person claimed was an unauthorised transaction several months after the fact. Paypal refunded them without hesitation and with no conditions (like returning the item). Even putting that rare scenario aside, you have various other scams on the table, like somebody just outright claiming that the card wasn't in the box when it arrived and you sent them something else. There's no way for you to prove you didn't (they don't care about photos or even video, as you could have technically still switched things afterwards), so even if Ebay make them return the item, they can just stick a GTX 260 or something in the box, send it back and they'll be refunded. I've never had that one, but I know people who have.

Most transactions go just fine of course, and you have to be really unlucky to meet someone so scummy, but I still tend to avoid Ebay for high value sales these days. I'd rather take slightly less from CeX or the MM on here and have zero worries about getting paid.

Soldato
Trying to get any card right now is a proper mission... either sat staring at a screen all day waiting for drops or renting/using bots for alerts etc. Missed this mornings drop, was gutted! Had a load of messages from people telling me to get on right now but i was 10 mins too late lol.

Soldato
where do you stand if youve sold a faulty electrical item on ebay, the buyer knows full well its being sold as faulty and not working but then they try and claim their money back because surprise surprise, it dont work and theyre just trying it on? whats the likely outcome for a seller?

Associate
where do you stand if youve sold a faulty electrical item on ebay, the buyer knows full well its being sold as faulty and not working but then they try and claim their money back because surprise surprise, it dont work and theyre just trying it on? whats the likely outcome for a seller?
All I can say is that they almost always side with the buyer. I'm no expert though.

Soldato
They could either state that the fault was completely different to the one described or that you sent a different item completely. Ebay will side with them in either case. You can likely protect yourself from the first by just not going into details about any faults or functionality other than to say it's broken and you don't know why, but there's not much you can do about option two.

Associate
I haven't had many problems on Ebay over the years, but there's certainly a lot of risk if you get a bad buyer. They can open a case months later with Paypal and get their money back, and Paypal will not make them return the item either. This happened to me once, with a RAM kit that the person claimed was an unauthorised transaction several months after the fact. Paypal refunded them without hesitation and with no conditions (like returning the item). Even putting that rare scenario aside, you have various other scams on the table, like somebody just outright claiming that the card wasn't in the box when it arrived and you sent them something else. There's no way for you to prove you didn't (they don't care about photos or even video, as you could have technically still switched things afterwards), so even if Ebay make them return the item, they can just stick a GTX 260 or something in the box, send it back and they'll be refunded. I've never had that one, but I know people who have.

Most transactions go just fine of course, and you have to be really unlucky to meet someone so scummy, but I still tend to avoid Ebay for high value sales these days. I'd rather take slightly less from CeX or the MM on here and have zero worries about getting paid.

If you missed the news, eBay doesn't work with PP the same way anymore. Buyer can still pay with PP but that goes to eBay not to the seller, then eBay wires money to seller's bank account. No more chargeback directly from PP like this, now they will have to go through eBay, open a proper case etc. Which means protection will work both ways and there will be proper case. Not that you couldn't fight chargeback from PP (even if through your own bank) before, but it was more problematic.

Back
Top Bottom