• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Yup, warm air flow is better than no air flow. And when we say warm air, it’s still only a few c above ambient and well below the working temperature of the component.

Those heat spreaders on ram are more for looks than anything else.

Soldato
any tricks (beyond thermal replacement) to prolong life on a FE card?

undervolt undervolt undervolt!

Can’t emphasise enough how good it is. Depending on what settings you end up running with you get either a tiny loss in performance for massive power and heat savings, or actually better than stock performance, still using less power and generating less heat.

Associate
undervolt undervolt undervolt!

Can’t emphasise enough how good it is. Depending on what settings you end up running with you get either a tiny loss in performance for massive power and heat savings, or actually better than stock performance, still using less power and generating less heat.

What kind of undervolt do you use for gaming? power limit or lock clock/memory? Or an actual fixed voltage?

Soldato
What kind of undervolt do you use for gaming? power limit or lock clock/memory? Or an actual fixed voltage?

I use a custom curve in Afterburner with a few saved presets. Been working on a few fully stable profiles for my newish 3090FE in the last week or so. Consensus seems a custom curve is the best way to do it, and it works very well for me with the last few gens of Nvidia cards.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Have not noticed but now you mentioned it and I actually looked its blowing directly onto my RAM. :p However I am only running at 3200 speed, its not overclocked just tighter timings.

Haven't checked temps (I don't even know if my RAM has a temp sensor) but I've got it running at 3800mhz CL16 and had no issues so far. Saying that I haven't done any GPU heavy work, just mining which runs at around 60C after tweaking (got too many things to sort out before I get back into the video work I wanted it for).

Permabanned
Haven't checked temps (I don't even know if my RAM has a temp sensor) but I've got it running at 3800mhz CL16 and had no issues so far. Saying that I haven't done any GPU heavy work, just mining which runs at around 60C after tweaking (got too many things to sort out before I get back into the video work I wanted it for).

Core might be 60, its the memory junction temperatures everyone worried about. Check HWInfo. :)

Associate
When everyone is talking about Memory Temp in relation to the GPUs they don't mean the computer RAM modules. The memory temp on the GPU can be checked with the software HWinfo as mentioned above.

Associate

Get HWinfo64 and check your vRam temps. On a 3080 or 3090 FE you are likely hitting very high numbers. Even if you copied someone's settings I would check and you want to be under 100C.

A2B

A2B

Associate
When everyone is talking about Memory Temp in relation to the GPUs they don't mean the computer RAM modules. The memory temp on the GPU can be checked with the software HWinfo as mentioned above.

my reply was in response to DRAM:

So has anyone else found that installing the FE has pushed temps on system ram over it's thermal stability?

Last edited:
Caporegime

The discussion is about the new airflow pattern of the 3080/3090FE with air blowing upwards from the right side of the card towards the RAM slots on the mobo and whether it effects RAM temps.

Soldato
No but you see me and others have found the opposite. Our previously stable ram overclocks suddenly are no longer viable since introducing a 3000 series card (3080 or 3090).

I know that the reviewers such as Jayztwocents and Gamers Nexus tested the cards and concluded the thermal designed did not impact on ram stability.

But me and others have found the opposite is true.

See here.

Associate
The discussion is about the new airflow pattern of the 3080/3090FE with air blowing upwards from the right side of the card towards the RAM slots on the mobo and whether it effects RAM temps.
Ah my bad I didn't see that. I have not had an issues on mine, but saying that my ram OC isn't much and I have not had any long sessions other then 1-2 hours of MSFS2020.

A2B

A2B

Associate
No but you see me and others have found the opposite. Our previously stable ram overclocks suddenly are no longer viable since introducing a 3000 series card (3080 or 3090).

yeah if the RAM is on edge temp-wise and relies on cool air cooling it, it makes sense that warmer air may not
cool it enough and can push it over the edge. what are your problematic overlock frequencies & voltage?

Associate
I've got 4 sticks of 3200 RGB vengence pro at XMP settings. With my 2080ti it was low 50s while gaming. With the 3090Fe it was pushing 60. Ramped the case fans up and it now sits in the high 40s. It's enough of a difference to cause instability if the ram is running an OC or higher voltage.

I don't think it's the fan on the FE card, I think it's just the fact that the card dumps more heat into the case.

Caporegime
I've got 4 sticks of 3200 RGB vengence pro at XMP settings. With my 2080ti it was low 50s while gaming. With the 3090Fe it was pushing 60. Ramped the case fans up and it now sits in the high 40s. It's enough of a difference to cause instability if the ram is running an OC or higher voltage.

I don't think it's the fan on the FE card, I think it's just the fact that the card dumps more heat into the case.

Which is down to the exhaust fan on the fe mostly as the fan at the i\o end of the card exhausts some heat out the back.

Soldato
yeah if the RAM is on edge temp-wise and relies on cool air cooling it, it makes sense that warmer air may not
cool it enough and can push it over the edge. what are your problematic overlock frequencies & voltage?

I was running 3600MHz - 14 15 14 14 28 @ 1.47 for a good year prior to introducing the 3080 in Jan.

I tried 3600MHz 14 15 15 15 30 @ 1.47 - 1.5v and still unstable. (These where timings from dram calc)

---

And as for fan exhaust, have all my fans on 100% all the time. And my case is decent for airflow P400a.

Associate
Which is down to the exhaust fan on the fe mostly as the fan at the i\o end of the card exhausts some heat out the back.

Not sure, despite the sort of blower design it manages to increase my case temps much more than the 2080ti. The OC 2080ti and undervolted 3090FE are both drawing about the same amount of power.
The cooler works well. It drops temps very quickly when the load is off but after an hour of hard use everything is getting hot and noisy.

Back
Top Bottom