What watch do you wear?

Pez

Pez

Soldato
Fellas - I've been given an old pocket watch and not having much joy identifying make/model/era etc... anyone able to help?

watch1.jpg

watch2.jpg

watch3.jpg

Soldato
I've always worked by the principal that if the watch starts gaining or losing time outside of it's normal operational levels, it's fine and just leave it alone. I guess if you really wanted to be accurate on that you'd get something to measure its beat rate.

If it does start changing it at least needs a new oiling, and that's the time to service it.

Obviously if something happens, like water gets into the watch, you have it serviced asap.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure plenty will disagree :p.

Yeah i'm kinda the same. It keeps time and everything is fine, the face probably needs a polish so got some polywatch. Would would rather buy another Nato strap from Omega lol

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Look at this stunning new Captain Cook Ceramic: https://wornandwound.com/hands-on-with-the-new-rado-captain-cook-high-tech-ceramic/

A shame they opted for polished centre links on the bracelet, it cheapens the look on every watch to my eyes, should always be brushed or satin.

Today I walked around a bit as the weather was basically summer here, first outing in summery weather with the Hamilton and have to say the AR coating is immense. It's not blue tinted like on the Laco so isn't obvious in normal light, but you really appreciate the legibility in the flesh. Not even my Baltics with underside AR coated Sapphire can beat this mineral + double AR legibility and all the more strange how Hamilton chose not to put any AR on the Khaki Field models which do have sapphire :/

jOSmP4i.jpg

Soldato
Fellas - I've been given an old pocket watch and not having much joy identifying make/model/era etc... anyone able to help?

watch1.jpg

watch2.jpg

watch3.jpg

Seen a similar one on ebay after doing a google image reverse search https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17470972...-53481-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001 albeit the face design is different.

I'm not sure exactly about the markings on whether it's silver or just silverplate. There's a guide here http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingUKsterlingmarks.html if i remember correctly the letters may relate to a year of manufacture so that could narrow it down a bit. I see on the top there's the lion passant and what would appear to be an F although it is quite faded.

Soldato
Look at this stunning new Captain Cook Ceramic: https://wornandwound.com/hands-on-with-the-new-rado-captain-cook-high-tech-ceramic/

A shame they opted for polished centre links on the bracelet, it cheapens the look on every watch to my eyes, should always be brushed or satin.

Today I walked around a bit as the weather was basically summer here, first outing in summery weather with the Hamilton and have to say the AR coating is immense. It's not blue tinted like on the Laco so isn't obvious in normal light, but you really appreciate the legibility in the flesh. Not even my Baltics with underside AR coated Sapphire can beat this mineral + double AR legibility and all the more strange how Hamilton chose not to put any AR on the Khaki Field models which do have sapphire :/

jOSmP4i.jpg

I would take the glare of a non AR coated sapphire crystal over a mineral, in this instance. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely looking piece and authentic. However, I'm not a fan of a watch with a mineral crystal when combined with the asking price of this piece. Plexi / Hesalite would have been a better choice IMO.

The lack of AR coating on my Khaki Field took some getting used to and in certain light it is a pain. I think what adds to the problem is that the crystal is domed. It seems to act as a wide angle lens and really capture all surrounding light.

What is bonkers is that both watches have the same movement, but more than double the cost difference. But hey.. This is the watch world we live in and love :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would take the glare of a non AR coated sapphire crystal over a mineral, in this instance. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely looking piece and authentic. However, I'm not a fan of a watch with a mineral crystal when combined with the asking price of this piece. Plexi / Hesalite would have been a better choice IMO.

The lack of AR coating on my Khaki Field took some getting used to and in certain light it is a pain. I think what adds to the problem is that the crystal is domed. It seems to act as a wide angle lens and really capture all surrounding light.

What is bonkers is that both watches have the same movement, but more than double the cost difference. But hey.. This is the watch world we live in and love :D.
Saw this and thought of you! Actually I initially thought of me but no way I can get another through the acceptance process so soon :p The Seamaster 300 Vintage is 1500 off at EJ
https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webst...eamaster+300+men's+brown+leather+strap+watch/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

I think this highlights that the movement doesn't really factor too much into the cost. The Khaki Pilot was specifically made as a re-issue and is unlike any other Hamilton with a dial no other Hamilton has and that sort of thing typically has a price associated with the whole thing.

Soldato
Saw this and thought of you! Actually I initially thought of me but no way I can get another through the acceptance process so soon :p The Seamaster 300 Vintage is 1500 off at EJ
https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webst...eamaster+300+men's+brown+leather+strap+watch/

Thought of me? :D I'm touched, but unless it's a Speedmaster Professional with that kind of discount, it's not for me :).

I think this highlights that the movement doesn't really factor too much into the cost. The Khaki Pilot was specifically made as a re-issue and is unlike any other Hamilton with a dial no other Hamilton has and that sort of thing typically has a price associated with the whole thing.

This is the interesting thing about watches, the expense isn't often down to the what's behind the dial. But down to the design. It is a fantastic looking watch and quite special.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just spotted that Stowa now list a 36mm Flieger Bronze which I didn't see before.... You can opt it with bronze or ss case back which typically you never see on bronze watches so am guessing because it uses CuSn8 bronze they can offer a bronze case back since this alloy doesn't patina as quickly as others and as such no skin irritation or major greening... I'd sell the Baltic Bronze and add a bit to get that :o

https://www.stowa.de/en/pilot+bronze+vintage+36.htm

Soldato
Well I did the sensible thing and paid off a chunk of mortgage instead of buying a seamaster :(

So I'm lowering my sights a little. Back to looking at the hydroconquest and this seems a good deal for the ceramic bezel version :

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/sale/l...HimiqTbw9qQSxtrIjd6B71YEphV8vWLxoCXvIQAvD_BwE

Only minus is the rubber strap rather than bracelet. Although I believe the bracelet on the hydroconquest isn't its strongest point anyway.

Have spotted the grey one with the bracelet for £70 more though..

Last edited:
Associate
Try the rubber strap out. I've really grown to like actual rubber or FKM straps for anything that doesn't need to be worn formally. They'll handle anything and just wipe clean.

Soldato
Try the rubber strap out. I've really grown to like actual rubber or FKM straps for anything that doesn't need to be worn formally. They'll handle anything and just wipe clean.

I'm close to ordering now. I think for the price it's a good choice. Only 12mm thick and 41mm diameter so not too big and bulky. Longines is a good brand and the movement is solid. For £980 can't go far wrong.

Edit : now ordered. Early birthday present to me :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom