Adulting time - Baby on the way

Soldato
From experience, I'd see how it goes or work out what sort of stuff you'll actually cart around before making decisions.

I traded in my Integra Type R for an Octavia vRS when our child arrived.

Really bad decision, we didn't have one of those massive prams and bags of stuff, just a little fold down one and a nappy bag, so I didnt need the space, the boot on the Integra was fine.

Yeah 3 doors was a bit annoying but it's only a short period that you're constantly putting a baby seat in and out.

And, she loved high revs for going to sleep!

Associate
From experience, I'd see how it goes or work out what sort of stuff you'll actually cart around before making decisions.

I traded in my Integra Type R for an Octavia vRS when our child arrived.

Really bad decision, we didn't have one of those massive prams and bags of stuff, just a little fold down one and a nappy bag, so I didnt need the space, the boot on the Integra was fine.

Yeah 3 doors was a bit annoying but it's only a short period that you're constantly putting a baby seat in and out.

And, she loved high revs for going to sleep!
Yeah but it not just the year of putting the baby seat in. You also have the years of climbing in and doing their belt up, until they can do themselves. I thought I could get away with 2 door car, when our 2nd was older enough to climb in the back without any help. I did for a while but I quickly got fed up with it.

Soldato
We got the wife an Ateca to do the majority of the family trips. Went with the FR 2.0T so that it wasn’t totally sterile to drive. This allowed my time with my Cayman S to be extended by 18 months. Made every journey (even with the pram and all the other necessary crap) easypeasy.

In the end I decided to jump before being pushed. With the child seat in place and my little one growing very quickly, it was clear the Cayman’s cabin space was getting too compromised. Her feet were starting to reach the dashboard and soon would be no longer safe/comfortable. I figured if I was going to get something a bit more practical, just go big. Ok, so the RS6 is probably overkill, but for those times when the space is needed, I’m covered :D

Oh, and it’s quite nice to drive too :cool:

Associate
OP
Are you going to have 2 cars or 1?

Best thing car-wise I did was buying a 308SW as soon as our first was born.
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/PEUGEOT-308-SW-GT-6089_9.jpg

Still Loadsa space for 2 now we have our second and the boot space was larger than a 5-series estate perfect for 2 prams or whatever else.

Reasonably priced, looks decent and you just know that when you or your SO is half cut on sleep deprevation there will be some some kerb rash etc and you wont feel it's a big deal because the car is there for doing the parenting job...

dunno what your budget is like but if you could squeeze in a dedicated family bus then it might mean you also get to have something nice to play around in.[/QUOTE]

Other half will have another car with a bigger boot that we'll probably use most of the time. Will just be something I can fit a buggy in the back and a car seat really if needed. Have been thinking about just keeping it, I know how it's been treated since new basically and it hasn't done a lot of miles. Tbh I've had my nephew's in the back of it and it wasn't that much of a pain, but that's once in a blue moon and would probably get annoying fairly regularly.

Actually I'm pretty sure I'd struggle with a bulkier car seat, the gap past the seat and the door pillar in the 2 series really isn't that big even with the seat pushed all the way forward. I had some trouble with the smaller nephew and his seat:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Is it your 1st kid? problem is your mrs will go utterly loony and buy the worlds biggest pram and baby seat and the rest of the crap that goes with having kids. My kids are 8,7 and 3. This was the 1st year i could really go back to a normal car after estates and suv's. Ive now got a 3 series saloon, a roof box and a bike rack.

An Audi A3 5 DOOR HATCH sized car would be ideal for you. Most estates in this segment arent all that big, even my A4 avant wasnt that big.

Yeah first kid, most of her/my family are buying a lot of stuff so I should probably look into things that aren't the size of the moon to mention when the time comes:cry: OH likes leaving me to things like that anyway as I like to research haha.

Mercedes C63 wagon. :)

I would love one, I think the fuel bills would start to get annoying. I feel like I have to fill up every 3rd or 4th time I'm in the 240 at the moment:cry: Granted it does have a pretty small tank, like 50L or something.

I did forget to put the budget in, would be up to like 25k used with a mixture of loan and some cash lying about. Potentially a few thousand higher for something I reeeally wanted. I like to mod my cars so I tend to steer away from finance these days.

Soldato
I went to a new Kuga but to be honest, even with one baby sometimes the amount of stuff you need to shift is crazy, especially if you are going on holiday or something. I now have an S-MAX on order as the boot is bigger (don't need the back rear seats) and I have another baby on the way. I'm sure a Mondeo Estate or similar would also fit the bill and I would have preferred that but the wife didn't. This way, you don't need to worry about hauling things or compromising on prams that fold up a certain way etc. Also good for family trips and other times you need to move stuff (bought all your new furniture yet?). However, it sounds like you already have access to a car like that, so why another?

I have a cheap run-around Fiesta for commuting and things that has mostly sat on the driveway since Covid and the baby seats go in that just fine, although I'd never get the big pram in the boot easily (although a fold-up stroller is no issue of course).

I also have kept a car in the garage for actually enjoying driving (Lotus Elise Sport 220), so if you do like driving it may be worth considering getting one practical car and one fun car. I've always found that easier than trying to kill both those birds with one stone.

Associate
OP
I went to a new Kuga but to be honest, even with one baby sometimes the amount of stuff you need to shift is crazy, especially if you are going on holiday or something. I now have an S-MAX on order as the boot is bigger (don't need the back rear seats) and I have another baby on the way. I'm sure a Mondeo Estate or similar would also fit the bill and I would have preferred that but the wife didn't. This way, you don't need to worry about hauling things or compromising on prams that fold up a certain way etc. Also good for family trips and other times you need to move stuff (bought all your new furniture yet?). However, it sounds like you already have access to a car like that, so why another?

I have a cheap run-around Fiesta for commuting and things that has mostly sat on the driveway since Covid and the baby seats go in that just fine, although I'd never get the big pram in the boot easily (although a fold-up stroller is no issue of course).

I also have kept a car in the garage for actually enjoying driving (Lotus Elise Sport 220), so if you do like driving it may be worth considering getting one practical car and one fun car. I've always found that easier than trying to kill both those birds with one stone.

My OH currently has a horrible little fiat 500 that she's had for about 4/5 years, so we'll definitely need to chop that in for something else at least. I can't sit in it without being hunched forward a bit and my head touching the roof lining. Can't stand sitting in it:cry: Then you have my car with 2 doors and quite an awkward boot. The boot actually holds quite a bit, it's more the shape/size of the boot opening that's a pain. Also the space between the back of the seat even when fully pushed forward and the door pillar getting things/yourself in and out the back isn't brilliant on the 2 series as mentioned above.

Soldato
My OH currently has a horrible little fiat 500 that she's had for about 4/5 years, so we'll definitely need to chop that in for something else at least. I can't sit in it without being hunched forward a bit and my head touching the roof lining. Can't stand sitting in it:cry: Then you have my car with 2 doors and quite an awkward boot. The boot actually holds quite a bit, it's more the shape of the boot opening that's a pain. Also the space between the back of the seat even when fully pushed forward and the door pillar getting things in and out the back isn't brilliant on the 2 series as mentioned above.

So get one practical car and either keep your BMW if you like it or something else fun that matches whatever budget you want to use that's left.

My wife also used to have a 500 and it's probably the worst thing I've ever driven. Horrible steering, engine was gutless, handling terrible, ride bad and worst was the brakes were also pretty pathetic. I never felt good driving it and it was actually pretty new and well maintained.

Associate
I did forget to put the budget in, would be up to like 25k used with a mixture of loan and some cash lying about. Potentially a few thousand higher for something I reeeally wanted. I like to mod my cars so I tend to steer away from finance these days.

That’s a very healthy budget, should get you a very good car. Maybe something like this:
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102078794717

Soldato
Honestly you don't need a massive car. Believe it or not I managed to fit a pram under the bonnet of the 911, and as the guy with the cayman will agree, there's not much space there. The caveat being that it was a 6 plus pram so no good until they can support their weight.

Associate
OP
Honestly you don't need a massive car. Believe it or not I managed to fit a pram under the bonnet of the 911, and as the guy with the cayman will agree, there's not much space there. The caveat being that it was a 6 plus pram so no good until they can support their weight.

That is really surprising actually, would never have thought a pram would fit under there. Mad:cry: Think I'm just gonna help the OH find a decent bigger car and keep the 240 for now. See how it goes, I'm sure we'll manage. Seems a bit ridic both buying a new car. She seems to be coming round to that idea now to:p

Thanks for all your input in this with all your experiences with different cars, never needed to think about any of this when buying a car until now:D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll give you one piece of advice, don't bother getting one of those big expensive travel systems. You don't need it, and it will quickly turn into an expensive pain in the arse.

Soldato
You can cope, don’t panic buy something massive. Mine is almost 2 and the only cars we’ve had since he was born are a Toyota Yaris and a BMW i3s. Just be intelligent with what accessories you buy - for example our pram is a babyzen yoyo+ and fits in a footwell, our travel cot folds down to minuscule size. It costs more but it was cheaper than a larger car. We’ve had holidays in southern Spain and France in the Yaris without any issue.

In fact, we expected the Yaris to be too small, so I bought a 470L roof box last year. Not used it yet (albeit holidays are somewhat limited at the moment).

Associate
I managed fine with a TT with a child from 0-2 years. Most journeys would be in the wife’s 5 door Leon and if not the car seat would be up front.

I put it up for sale within 24hrs of putting a baby and a toddler into he back in the rain however!

New family car is a 5 door m140i with 2 child seats into her back chosen for how short the bases are. No regrets.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Reading these posts makes me wonder how on earth we managed having an Vauxhall Astra with three young kids. We even went camping a few times in it!

Associate
OP
You can cope, don’t panic buy something massive. Mine is almost 2 and the only cars we’ve had since he was born are a Toyota Yaris and a BMW i3s. Just be intelligent with what accessories you buy - for example our pram is a babyzen yoyo+ and fits in a footwell, our travel cot folds down to minuscule size. It costs more but it was cheaper than a larger car. We’ve had holidays in southern Spain and France in the Yaris without any issue.

In fact, we expected the Yaris to be too small, so I bought a 470L roof box last year. Not used it yet (albeit holidays are somewhat limited at the moment).

That's good to know about the babyzen, was actually looking at the yoyo2 the other night and they do look very compact. Did you bother with the extra newborn pack with it or is it a different model?

New family car is a 5 door m140i with 2 child seats into her back chosen for how short the bases are. No regrets.

Did actually think about chopping it in for the M140 hatch, could even transfer the sports cat/diff and license for the map haha. Probably just see how it goes for now with the OH getting the fiat 500 replacement:cry:

I'll give you one piece of advice, don't bother getting one of those big expensive travel systems. You don't need it, and it will quickly turn into an expensive pain in the arse.

Have heard this from a fair few people recently, one being my sister who said it was a bit of a waste of money in the end.

Soldato
Reading these posts makes me wonder how on earth we managed having an Vauxhall Astra with three young kids. We even went camping a few times in it!
There was one guy on here a few years ago that was complaining a q5/7 (can't remember which exactly) wasn't big enough for 1 child:rolleyes:. Pack sensible, we managed a week away with 1 child in a mk 7 fiesta, once you don't have to sterilise things you save a ton of space (likewise everything they move up a carseat). We never had isize ones, but I believe they are massive. The pram I had was a quinney zap that folded up tiny.

Soldato
That's good to know about the babyzen, was actually looking at the yoyo2 the other night and they do look very compact. Did you bother with the extra newborn pack with it or is it a different model?

We have the newborn pack. If it’s the same pack as ours you’ll need it when they’re young, it keeps them flat and rear facing.

it’s a low pram and won’t manage off road, but was fine for our purposes. And now he’s older and forward facing its perfect.

You may want the isofix adapters so you can move the car seat onto the pram frame. When they’ve fallen asleep just as you get to the shop, and you only need to pop in for 5mins, you’ll wish you had them :p

Back
Top Bottom