The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
!Lens Invalid with this lens error.

Hi, has anyone seen this issue ? I have an A7S3 latest firmware on lens and camera. Whenever i have it hooked up to my DJI RS2 gimbal and use the USB-C to multi function cable from the camera to the gimbal, i get that above error. The lens i have attached is the Tamron 17-28. I've not had a chance to test it with some of my other lenses, as of yet, including my Sony GM 24mm. . I will. But its kinda annoying as that 17-28 is almost exclusively used when i'm using the RS2 gimbal.. the gimbal start record button still works, but with the screen filled with a black box, it gets annoying having to clear the message to make sure my WB and focus are all in order before hitting that record button on the gimbal. I could have course not bother with the cable, and just use the camera's actual record button. But again that's not ideal either, as it throws a bit of wobble in, getting my hand up there, whereas that record button on the gimbal is right there next to my thumb.

Soldato
Is the Sigma f1.2 still amongst the best 35mm available for FE mount in terms of quality /speed despite its size? The reviews indicate it's tack sharp edge to edge unlike the F1. 4.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Definitely looks promising:

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-first-image-of-the-new-sigma-35mm-f-1-4-fe-lens/

I loved the old Art lens on my a77 back in the day, but I find 35mm either a bit too wide for my style, or not wide enough depending.
It appears it still sacrafices absolute optical quality for size. So the question remains whether I'd still be happy using the F1. 2 due to its weight. I don't see a problem carrying this with a number of primes as opposed to a 200-600 on a A7 R4 and a rig.

Caporegime
I'm very tempted by the Sigma 35 f1.4, though from what I've read it's worth saving the extra for the Sony GM.

Depends. I have seen reviews where the sigma is 99% of the sony. They sony saves you lots of weight and is so much smaller. Okay the AF is better on the Sony. Depends if that is worth the £500 difference to you or not?

Caporegime
Sony for years has always done distinct models for different jobs. With the A1 which can do everything they have broken this formula.

Not sure we will ever see an A9iii

Last edited:
Associate
As always it will just not quite have the best of the A1. Less EVF, lesser buffer, lesser shots per second, less res etc and will be one incredible all round camera for the masses.

I can see Sony dropping any further R and S models in future.

I could see the a7r being updated - it's higher res and more affordable than the A1 if you don't need the a1 features. The a7 and a7c could coexist, but I don't see a real need for an a9iii, unless they make it an out and out speed demon.

Caporegime
What is this thread doing all the way on page 3 :eek:!?

Taking my A7iii on its first holiday to Tuscany this week. 85 and 28-75 to cover the trip, would have loved something wider but don't want to spend £100 renting.

Back
Top Bottom