Are you patronising?

I subscribe to a number of Youtube channels but have never "Joined" a channel. I see some have tiers of membership, for example one group I subscribe to has a top tier of £89.99 per month. I can't imagine paying that.

Are you a patron of any channels? Are there any genuine benefits you use?

Soldato
I subscribe to a number of Youtube channels but have never "Joined" a channel. I see some have tiers of membership, for example one group I subscribe to has a top tier of £89.99 per month. I can't imagine paying that.

Are you a patron of any channels? Are there any genuine benefits you use?

I think you get behind the scenes content and advice. Can't imagine ever paying for it though. Might sub to a couple of twitch channels that's it.

Man of Honour
I don't do anything like that - I was watching a stream couple of nights ago though and some of the donations were silly - the top 5 were like £1000,200,150,100,100.

I have occasionally done one off payments through stuff like that for a good cause but I don't tend to be a person who gets too into any one thing so don't really see value the same in paid subscriptions for the extra content, etc.

Soldato
No but I'm amazed at how much people will pay. A channel I often watch did a live chat earlier which I haven't seen before and people were paying them £20 just to say hello. They must have made hundreds in a couple of hours responding to questions. Not a big channel either.

Soldato
a lot of the music channels offer transcriptions/backing tracks etc of the songs/lessons on their videos but that's usually through patreon.com, I've never seen any channels worthwhile 'joining' on Youtube...the 'benefits' are usually access to livestreams and different icons to make your messages stand out in the chat - or sometimes they'll only respond to people in the chat that have joined or who are paying money so it shows up in the chat
I've never seen any channels anywhere near £90 a month to join tho :o

Man of Honour
Yeah I'm always happy to support the creators of the content I consume, be that via patreon, paid subs, merch, or live events. I rarely use the additional benefits they provide though. I see it as helping ensure the content I enjoy keeps getting made, I wouldn't pay anything close to £80 though.

Soldato
I just signed up to Patreon for a guitar channel, you get access to live streams, can vote in song lessons and get to help keep the guy running the channel. It is a small channel so for £2 a month I don't mind supporting it.

Soldato
I do it for the football ramble but that’s about it, I use to buy their end of year specials as well. Just as a thanks for keeping the pod free. They stopped doing them and moved to a patron.

I technically do it with the athletic as I have a sub for them as well.

i however would not pay anything close to £80 to listen/watch a few things.

Capodecina
Soldato
I use to support someone on Patreon but he never said thank you to the community in the time that I did, or was very communicative at all, so I stopped. If I'm giving you money for something you're doing, at least say thank you.

Soldato
I have not ever sent money to a content creator.

I would consider doing so if it was a small guy just starting out and I really enjoyed their content, but all the people I watch frequently clearly earn far more money than me, so I feel like they earn enough tbh. And I'm sure I would miss that money more than they would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom