Closed back gamer, needs convincing on open back

Associate
As title; price isn't so much an issue as convenience - I love, love my Audeze Mobius, but I'd like to try open back gaming, in case it makes me less awful. Integrated mic is a must, something lovely and cheap; what's about?

Last edited:
Soldato
As title; price isn't so much an issue as convenience - I love, love my Audeze Mobius, but I'd like to try open back gaming, in case it makes me less awful. Integrated mic is a must, something lovely and cheap, and potential relationship ending quality; what's about?
Why would you compare closed back £400 headphones to open back cheap headphones? Or by "something lovely and cheap" do you mean around £400?

For that price you get some very nice open backs and add a proper microphone

Personally I use the following, but am tempted to try closed backs (like the Mobius) I have a feeeling they will make my ears too warm and hurt after a short period of time. Most closed backs always have with me.
The K702s are very open but expect have nowhere near the bass impact the Mobius or other closed backs do. That said, the bass is good and sounds great to me in the Dolby Atmos 'Amaze' trailer

AKG K702 - £120
MiniXLR>3.5mm adapter - £30
VModa boom pro - £30

If you werent that far away we do a demo swap meet

Last edited:
Associate
Depends on what you will be driving them from - having owned the Mobius and K702 in the past I'm thinking you will find the difference quite difficult unless you have an amp for the K702 to give their best - they might sound a tad 'thin' and underwhelming otherwise. I've tried closed back headphones/headsets multiple times but just can't get on with the isolation and narrow soundstage the majority seem to have.

If you have a decent way to drive them, the K702 are great though. Otherwise, would maybe be worth trying something like:-

Sennheiser Game One/PC37x or PC38x - if integrated Mic and being easy to drive is a priority
Fidelio X2 or maybe even SHP9500/SHP9600 with the VModa Mic mentioned above (no need for the adaptor) if you want something cost effective that is easy to drive but will also give you an insight into open backed performance.
Beyer Tygr 300r - if you want a great open backed headphone but don't mind getting a modmic to attach to it (although the Tygr is hard to come by at the moment) - these are also easy to drive and sound fantastic in games

Whichever you choose will likely be a stark difference to what you are used to so be prepared to spend some time with the new set to adapt to how they sound.

Associate
OP
Thanks both - I have Soundblaster AE-9 to drive them, that I haven't got around to selling. The Sennheiser Game One look ideal. I'd love to try the K702, but I want an integrated mic.

Soldato
Thanks both - I have Soundblaster AE-9 to drive them, that I haven't got around to selling. The Sennheiser Game One look ideal. I'd love to try the K702, but I want an integrated mic.
I use a G6 which reads to be similar to the AE-9. It drives the K702 perfectly fine. The VModa boom pro mic is sort of integated. You just connect it with an adapter and its got a clip with mute and volume control on the wire. It does require a miniXLR to 3.5mm adapter though, which I have (Ream adapter)

I tried the Sennheiser Game one. They clampted my head too much and were not comfy on my ears at all so sent them back

Just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT1770s so will see how I get on with closed back headphones, coming from the 702s. Hopefully no more eurovision can be heard with closed back headphones!!

Associate
I use a G6 which reads to be similar to the AE-9. It drives the K702 perfectly fine. The VModa boom pro mic is sort of integated. You just connect it with an adapter and its got a clip with mute and volume control on the wire. It does require a miniXLR to 3.5mm adapter though, which I have (Ream adapter)

I tried the Sennheiser Game one. They clampted my head too much and were not comfy on my ears at all so sent them back

Just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT1770s so will see how I get on with closed back headphones, coming from the 702s. Hopefully no more eurovision can be heard with closed back headphones!!

Yea - the G6 is great with the K702 - that headphone needs driving to give its best. Game One/PC37x/PC38x pad opening can be a bit narrow for some and the clamp is high until they break in then they get a lot more comfy. Still not as comfy as the Beyers I have though (Tygr & DT990) plus the AKG headband wasn't the best for me - that's the problem with choosing headphones - no matter what anyone recommends, you just don't know until they are sat on your own head.

The Senns built in mic does add the convenience of the flip to mute mic which I always found useful though - plus the adaptor and Vmoda can hang a bit low for some I guess.

Soldato
I've tried closed back headphones/headsets multiple times but just can't get on with the isolation and narrow soundstage the majority seem to have.
DT770 does really nicely for binaural sound gaming.

Just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT1770s so will see how I get on with closed back headphones
At least same driver using Amiron Home and DT1990 loose notch in soundstage size to DT990.
Though positioning is very good (DT1990 gives in your face clarity of details) and bass of that driver beats old hands down.

Associate

Yea - I had that one once and the MMX300 headset also and they certainly were the best/most spacious sounding of the closed back sets I've tried. Wonder if the usual Beyer treble energy had something to do with that? Still find Beyers really comfortable so (attached cables aside on some models) they are a good shout.

Soldato
Yea - the G6 is great with the K702 - that headphone needs driving to give its best. Game One/PC37x/PC38x pad opening can be a bit narrow for some and the clamp is high until they break in then they get a lot more comfy. Still not as comfy as the Beyers I have though (Tygr & DT990) plus the AKG headband wasn't the best for me - that's the problem with choosing headphones - no matter what anyone recommends, you just don't know until they are sat on your own head.

The Senns built in mic does add the convenience of the flip to mute mic which I always found useful though - plus the adaptor and Vmoda can hang a bit low for some I guess.
Yep, exactly. They (any headphone) may sound the best in the world but if its not comfy on your ears and head they're no good for listening more than 2 minutes!

I made a simple mod for my 702s with double sided tape and foam padding. Wont win prizes for looks but who cares, they're indoor headphones

Vmoda mic and adapter also shown

E19IkVU.jpg.png

z6hTsXU.jpg.png

uCQC8d0.jpg

YizyCjG.jpg

At least same driver using Amiron Home and DT1990 loose notch in soundstage size to DT990.
Though positioning is very good (DT1990 gives in your face clarity of details) and bass of that driver beats old hands down.

Isnt comparing DT1770 to 1990 like comparing apples to oranges as the 1990 are open or 'semi-open' whatever that is?

Hopefully the 1770s are comfy (dont cook my ears or crush them) and are not too weighty. If so then i'll almost certainly be keeping them.

Soldato
Isnt comparing DT1770 to 1990 lke apples to oranges as the 1990 are open or 'semi-open' whatever that is?

Hopefully the 1770s are comfy (dont cook my ears or crush them) and are not too weighty. If so then i'll almost certainly be keeping them.
Just like DT 770 to 990 range uses same (old) design driver so do DT1770/1990/Amiron Home use same new driver design.
So wouldn't wonder if 1770 has little smaller soundstage than 770.

Soldato
Just like DT 770 to 990 range uses same (old) design driver so do DT1770/1990/Amiron Home use same new driver design.
So wouldn't wonder if 1770 has little smaller soundstage than 770.
Do you mean the new driver design has a smaller soundstage than old? If so, I presume that's by design to improve something else... you would hope!

C64

C64

Soldato
open are just better especially in summer , if you have leather or pleather pads do the sock hack for summer sweats

Soldato
Yep, exactly. They (any headphone) may sound the best in the world but if its not comfy on your ears and head they're no good for listening more than 2 minutes!

I made a simple mod for my 702s with double sided tape and foam padding. Wont win prizes for looks but who cares, they're indoor headphones

Vmoda mic and adapter also shown

E19IkVU.jpg.png

z6hTsXU.jpg.png

uCQC8d0.jpg

YizyCjG.jpg

Isnt comparing DT1770 to 1990 like comparing apples to oranges as the 1990 are open or 'semi-open' whatever that is?

Struggling to find a female mini XLR to female 3.5mm anywhere. Any suggestions where to look?

Associate
You can’t go wrong with a PC 37X. I used to have HD598s but couldn’t stand the extra wire of the modmic. The plastic magnet also wore out and the microphone would flip away from my face with a little tug on the wire.

Associate
As title; price isn't so much an issue as convenience - I love, love my Audeze Mobius, but I'd like to try open back gaming, in case it makes me less awful. Integrated mic is a must, something lovely and cheap; what's about?

I have been on a pair of Grado SR325i and SR60's since 2007 and used to get regularly accused of cheating as the combination of these and the X-Fi CMSS card at the time was giving me scarily accurate sound positioning.

Back
Top Bottom