• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Caporegime
So all set up for the most part. Only tested one game (code vein), which is badly optimised and just uses one core, but went from low 70s outside to 110fps in the same area. So a nice uplift over the 5820k at least in that game :).

would be interesting to see some other games you play compared. thanks.

Associate
Got this setup over the weekend for my nephew with a Gigabyte H510M S2H motherboard and a CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

Enabled "CPU Power Performance" and "Turbo Power Limits" but left the individual Level1/2 power limits on "Auto" for the time being. Would probably fine-tune these further based on others' experience.

Also enabled XMP for DDR4-3200 but had to update the bios to version F6 to boot at this speed (board came with bios version F2).

Didn't do any stress testing but my nephew's a happy chap now, says his games no longer feel "laggy". Coming from i5-3470 its definitely a big improvement.

Soldato
Got this setup over the weekend for my nephew with a Gigabyte H510M S2H motherboard and a CoolerMaster Hyper 212.

Enabled "CPU Power Performance" and "Turbo Power Limits" but left the individual Level1/2 power limits on "Auto" for the time being. Would probably fine-tune these further based on others' experience.

Also enabled XMP for DDR4-3200 but had to update the bios to version F6 to boot at this speed (board came with bios version F2).

Didn't do any stress testing but my nephew's a happy chap now, says his games no longer feel "laggy". Coming from i5-3470 its definitely a big improvement.

H510 and a 11400 is a good idea. With 3200 being a good price / performance point for ram.

I'd be wary of completely bare VRMs, but just for gaming it probably won't make a difference.

Soldato
I’ve not used a 11400, but AMD’s Cezanne and Renoir APU’s paired with A520 boards are incredible. It’s just a shame you have to buy the system as a bundle or OEM.

Soldato
Soldato
This motherboard looks solid for the price:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...200-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-180-ak.html

A 6+2 phase VRM with 50A power stages and a reasonable looking heatsink too.

Yeah, it's a good board. I bought the H570 version of it for my 11400. The main difference being 2 extra 10gb USB ports on the back panel.

Very happy with it. But haven't tried to up the power limits and things. It's mostly a work pc atm paired with a 1050ti.

Soldato
would be interesting to see some other games you play compared. thanks.

Sorry, don't really have anything else to compare. Other stuff I noticed the cpu holding back a little, I've already finished, so aren't installed anymore and I would have forgot the exact fps in areas anyway. Code vein just happens to be one I'm still actively playing so direct compare was easy. Only other things I'm constantly playing are rocket league and fall guys, but those aren't demanding so no change there.

Associate
H510 and a 11400 is a good idea. With 3200 being a good price / performance point for ram.

I'd be wary of completely bare VRMs, but just for gaming it probably won't make a difference.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Bare VRM does make this board look less appealing but for a gaming only 11400 it should easily suffice.

Must say price/performance with H510 and DDR4-3200 is really awesome value for money. Now just need the absolute joke of a GPU market settle somewhere sensible :p.

Soldato
Yeah that's exactly what I thought. Bare VRM does make this board look less appealing but for a gaming only 11400 it should easily suffice.

Must say price/performance with H510 and DDR4-3200 is really awesome value for money. Now just need the absolute joke of a GPU market settle somewhere sensible :p.

I would be more inclined to get a motherboard with VRM cooling,whether its AMD or Intel.

The MSI B560M PRO-VDH and ASRock B560M Pro 4 are around £90ish. Until the end of May MSI is doing a cashback deal,so you can get another £13 off if you get a Core i5 11400F.

uINh5ux.png

Last edited:
Associate
I would be more inclined to get a motherboard with VRM cooling,whether its AMD or Intel.

The MSI B560M PRO-VDH and ASRock B560M Pro 4 are around £90ish. Until the end of May MSI is doing a cashback deal,so you can get another £13 off if you get a Core i5 11400F.

So would I but spending £30 odd for 2 VRM heatsinks (which really aren't necessary for the use-case) didn't seem like a great deal.

Nice heads up on the MSI cashback offers, didn't know about these. Good bit of info for those in the market, only 3 days left before term no. 3 expires though.

Soldato
So would I but spending £30 odd for 2 VRM heatsinks (which really aren't necessary for the use-case) didn't seem like a great deal.

Nice heads up on the MSI cashback offers, didn't know about these. Good bit of info for those in the market, only 3 days left before term no. 3 expires though.

Its not only VRM heatsinks but a better VRM. Plus if you keep the system for 3 years,its £10/year more,and you know if you want a better CPU in there you can probably put one in.

Associate
Its not only VRM heatsinks but a better VRM. Plus if you keep the system for 3 years,its £10/year more,and you know if you want a better CPU in there you can probably put one in.

The cost is trivial really I agree and if I were looking to depreciate this then even an extra £90 (£30/year for 3 years) on a Z590 would've been fine.

I guess the question is how much "over-spec" does the person thinks is justified because reasons (i.e. better VRM, upgradability path, etc.) that could make H510 lose out to B560, could then also make B560 lose out to Z590.

Soldato
Uncooled cheapo VRMs are pretty much designed for sub 50W TDP CPUs and in general market PCs sized for playing MS Word.

For example those anorexic VRMs with heatsinks in many B450 boards can keep temps under control only with 65W TDP CPUs.
Because of efficiency losses simply rising that high under power draw of fully loaded higher TDP CPUs.
Without heatsinks VRM would have to be lot oversized in components to keep losses low and spread it over more components.
But they don't put even OK good level VRM circuitry onto cheapo boards.

Soldato

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying but the MSI B560M Pro-VDH does have heatsinks. The MSI B560M Pro does not.

Ah I read further up and now I understand. You weren't saying that at all. Ignore. :)

Soldato
The cost is trivial really I agree and if I were looking to depreciate this then even an extra £90 (£30/year for 3 years) on a Z590 would've been fine.

I guess the question is how much "over-spec" does the person thinks is justified because reasons (i.e. better VRM, upgradability path, etc.) that could make H510 lose out to B560, could then also make B560 lose out to Z590.

I suppose it depends again on what you intend to do with it. So if you have no inclinations to overclock it(this is what unlocking the TDP does),and don't run it under heavy load and only use the stock cooler one of the cheaper H510 motherboards would be fine. An example is if you are using it for an office PC. However,if you do intend to run it under heavier loads,and overclock it,its not such a good idea to go too cheap on the motherboard IMHO.

WRT to even the H510 if its a 4 layer motherboard you only get 2933MHZ RAM support,so it needs 6 layers to do 3200MHZ. The better H510 motherboards with heatsinks are still between £80~£90. So might be able to get away with one of those. But then its only £10 more to get a B560 motherboard.

That extra £30 on a B560 would enable you to overclock the CPU better,more connectivity,etc. Z590 doesn't really offer you much over the B560 unless you really want to run the top end CPUs,use a lot of AVX2,need more than one graphics card,etc.

Back
Top Bottom