What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Took a punt and ordered a Devosa Ternos Ceramic (looks like a submariner homage ?) anyhoo..Got the black dial version, 40mm case, 12.5 thickness.

8-FC92-D6-E-72-A7-41-C6-83-B7-AA17-F9410-EA1.jpg

edit - looks blue in this photo. Think it may be the coating on the glass.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Lumed bezel markers too? They are nice although the angled brushing on the lug faces don' match the direction of the brushing on the bracelet which is slightly distracting :D

I got the Hamilton buckle today came within 24 hours from Italy which was quite impressive. I have to say I can see why it is £56... It's heavier than the 18mm buckle that comes with the stock NATO strap whilst being smaller (16mm) and the satin finishing quality is considerably nicer and matches the finishing on the watch case. Both tongue and body are milled too.

buckle_new-OE.jpg

Soldato
I don’t think it has lumed bezel markers - no. It shipped out last night so should see it Monday or Tuesday. :)
Edit- okay I see what you mean with regards to the lug / link brush @mrk , the brush faces inward toward the links rather than the same direction as the brush on the link. It doesn’t strike me as strange though ? :p

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don’t think it has lumed bezel markers - no. It shipped out last night so should see it Monday or Tuesday. :)
Edit- okay I see what you mean with regards to the lug / link brush @mrk , the brush faces inward toward the links rather than the same direction as the brush on the link. It doesn’t strike me as strange though ? :p

It's not strange I guess but is distracting as makes the bracelet look like it's from a different watch with brushed finishing that matches it :p

Soldato
My bday is coming up and wife is keen to get me a watch up to £5k

Narrowed it down to these.....

Any thoughts?

Any reason for including the Speedy date rather than standard Speedy Pro? They're quite different in person (the positioning of the subdials and bezel changes the appearance a great deal...and the date may be smaller, but the standard Speedy Pro wears smaller than its dimensions suggest anyway)

Soldato
The standard speedy looks a little boring to me.
I think the big pull of the Speedy is the brand heritage and the fact it was the first watch on the moon. You'll therefore find a lot of folk (me included) that would only consider the recently discontinued (see: cheaper :)) hesalite version, no-date.

I'm not familiar with the model number but if you want an interesting watch then the top row Breitling (?) looks tidy. I wouldn't personally pay 5k for a Tag and the Tudors are more boring than a no-date Speedy.

Soldato
The standard speedy looks a little boring to me.
I understand. Speedy Dates are very much worthwhile buying second hand as they tend to not retain value as well as their dateless Pro sibling, so that could save you a fair wad.

Of all your choices, I'd be going for the Pelagos (probably in black, but still a great piece in blue!)

Man of Honour
Any thoughts?

I'm personally on the fence bewtween a black Pelagos and the new black/white Omega Seamaster, so I'd go in the Pelagos direction :). I'd personally pick it over the BB58 for one key reason too, the faux rivets on the 58 bracelet are just awful.

The Pelagos has a standard style bracelet as well as having one of the best clasps there is.

A negative though is that it's a little more niche than the 58, so if you ever want to sell you might move the 58 faster (In the same way that Subs always go faster than Seadwellers).

Soldato
I think the big pull of the Speedy is the brand heritage and the fact it was the first watch on the moon. You'll therefore find a lot of folk (me included) that would only consider the recently discontinued (see: cheaper :)) hesalite version, no-date.

I'm not familiar with the model number but if you want an interesting watch then the top row Breitling (?) looks tidy. I wouldn't personally pay 5k for a Tag and the Tudors are more boring than a no-date Speedy.

Its the Brietling Navitimer 8.

I get the appeal of the speedy but with all other chronographs in the same price bracket it just kind of looks boring. I love the dark side of the moon version and some of the other editions but they are just too expensive.

Soldato
I'm personally on the fence bewtween a black Pelagos and the new black/white Omega Seamaster, so I'd go in the Pelagos direction :). I'd personally pick it over the BB58 for one key reason too, the faux rivets on the 58 bracelet are just awful.

The Pelagos has a standard style bracelet as well as having one of the best clasps there is.

A negative though is that it's a little more niche than the 58, so if you ever want to sell you might move the 58 faster (In the same way that Subs always go faster than Seadwellers).

Omega Seamster would be nice if it didnt have that Helium valve :/ I cant get past that.

Ye, the BB58 bracelet is aweful with the faux rivets. I would only consider it with a leather strap.

Back
Top Bottom