• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

People who got GPUs, how did you do it?

Associate

I bought a 3090 FE from a notification on that discord server this morning. Had to be fast, but completed checkout in the browser the discord app opens on ios which is a bit janky. Only signed up to the forum from an article on the £5000 3070 the other day, had a good browse around, joined that discord server and a few days later I've got a card arriving Monday :D. Price is a little steep at £1399. They were selling the 3080 FE for £649 twenty minutes later, but I probably wouldn't have got that. 3070 FE at retail price too.

So I'd recommend joining that server and setting up notifications properly on your phone.

Associate
I think if I had just missed it I would understand. But it was in my basket I was at the checkout and it vanished.

It's gutting and I'm not sure it's right. Surely if you are at that point it should be reserved until you complete or have 10 minutes.

Associate
I think it's pathetic, that I have to literally fight and go above and beyond to get a GPU. I am trying for almost a year, with no success. I am not trying hard, just checking here and there and refreshing few websites. I'm getting to the point, where if in few months I will not get one, I'm done with gaming. It is utterly ridiculous, that companies selling PC Components are allowing scalpers to do dirty job. They will be announcing new GPUs soon, where 90% of normal people can't get the current gen. Stupid.

Associate
I think it's pathetic, that I have to literally fight and go above and beyond to get a GPU. I am trying for almost a year, with no success. I am not trying hard, just checking here and there and refreshing few websites. I'm getting to the point, where if in few months I will not get one, I'm done with gaming. It is utterly ridiculous, that companies selling PC Components are allowing scalpers to do dirty job. They will be announcing new GPUs soon, where 90% of normal people can't get the current gen. Stupid.
It's crazy but I don't think you'll have much luck unless you at least join one of the alert services unfortunately. I spent a few months doing as you and just refreshing sites every now and then, whilst waiting to be able to get the case I wanted, and saw nothing. Once I got the case, I joined one of the telegram alert groups and got a 3080FE a few days later at the next drop.

Soldato
Sometimes when you really want something, you have to fight for it, I agree it's silly but it is reality and it has been for the better part of a year, so if you want one, you will have to jump through some hoops or pay waaay more than you should for one, although that does seem to be changing as we speak, there seems to be a lot more supply hitting retail every week now judging by my alerts and some browsing and the prices are trending down too, so you could 'just buy one' now if you wanted, but you wouldn't necessarily get exactly what you want and probably not at the price you would like, but it's heading in the right direction at least. Until about a month ago, you just wouldn't have been able to get anything without being signed up to stock monitoring services and acting on alerts straight away, no delay, drop what you are doing and get on it and be logged into the website already and have you details saved and ready to go, it's just the way it has been.

You are not the first person I have seen make a statement like this though and to me if you can honestly say you're done with gaming, (just like that) then obviously it doesn't mean that much to you really, I know for me it has been a core part of my life since I was a teenager, there is no 'done with gaming' for me, it defines a huge part of my identify and so does the PC hardware hobby even outside of gaming itself, I have spent countless hours of my time in game worlds and messing with PC's all my life, I started when I was 12 and now I am 37 ...it's just a dimension of my reality of the only existence I have known my entire adult life and all my teenage years to me, I can't just 'be done ' with it. Perhaps that's why I feel as strongly as I do about it all, what would I do without it ? ...I have no idea tbh, as I said, it's been such a big part of my life for so long, it's hard to imagine.

Associate
I just bought an Aorus 3080ti from another retailer who just got stock, I’m well happy, I signed up for their notify emails to when they get stock and received one today and quickly jumped on it, sadly it wasn’t cheap but none are these days :,( but it was a now or never moment. Should be here by 25th :)

Soldato
member for 20 years, 7k posts, cannot see this mythical GPU sub-forum
There are permissions problems with it, I can't see it either, but as far as I know the deals are being posted in there and in the Members Market jointly which you should be able to see.

Associate
I think I was not clear with my statement - If I won't get new GPU in few months, I'm done with gaming on PC, not overall. I still have stack of all consoles, I am gamer since I was few years old, now I'm 32. I play whole my life, and can't imagine my life without it. But I always followed my protocol - save some money, get new console or upgrade my PC. These days, I fight more to actually get something in stock, rather than struggle with money. I am frustrated to the point where I said I will quit gaming, but PC gaming. The thing that give me hope, is everyone above saying that situation is improving, I really hope it will, as I don't see myself playing new Battlefield without maxing it out. I always wanted best CPU ang GPU and played on max settings. I still can, but in 1080p. My 2080ti is not good enough for max details in 2k for newest games (so far only Cyberpunk, but I know new Battlefield need RTX3080 to be maxed out in 2k). So I don't see a point in gaming on PC, if I can't have what I want. And as much as I would like, I will not pay 1500 pounds for RTX3080 when retail price was supposed to be 650, this is just ridiculous. I am willing to spend max 900, not a penny more.

Soldato
thanks so much for this, sounds like people are still having luck with getting FEs for MSRP provided they're quick and lucky
You're welcome, good luck getting a card, a lot this week managed to get one this way :D. Also don't stress about the LHR cards and not LHR cards, there is no difference in daily use for games and any application apart from the mining rubbish they limited, everything else works the same.

Soldato
I think I was not clear with my statement - If I won't get new GPU in few months, I'm done with gaming on PC, not overall. I still have stack of all consoles, I am gamer since I was few years old, now I'm 32. I play whole my life, and can't imagine my life without it. But I always followed my protocol - save some money, get new console or upgrade my PC. These days, I fight more to actually get something in stock, rather than struggle with money. I am frustrated to the point where I said I will quit gaming, but PC gaming. The thing that give me hope, is everyone above saying that situation is improving, I really hope it will, as I don't see myself playing new Battlefield without maxing it out. I always wanted best CPU ang GPU and played on max settings. I still can, but in 1080p. My 2080ti is not good enough for max details in 2k for newest games (so far only Cyberpunk, but I know new Battlefield need RTX3080 to be maxed out in 2k). So I don't see a point in gaming on PC, if I can't have what I want. And as much as I would like, I will not pay 1500 pounds for RTX3080 when retail price was supposed to be 650, this is just ridiculous. I am willing to spend max 900, not a penny more.

You have a 2080ti... Use DLSS on cyberpunk ( a game that even struggles on this gen and people turn down settings) and BF. A 2080ti is more than capable to game at 2k with that card.. People are fighting over 3070's that are basically less powerful than a 2080ti and gaming even at 4k with them. You can even pass on the 30xx series and wait for next gen with your card.

Also you can sell your 2080ti and buy a card and not pay much more so your argument is a bit strange to me. One you have a card in high demand that can be sold for a lot right now and more than powerful enough for your resolution too.. Am I missing something here :confused:

Back
Top Bottom