fan cables melted, pc powers on but no display

Associate
So helping a friend out do some minor upgrade to their pc, new fans installed and 1tb SSD installed awaiting to be cloned as they have an old school HDD only and recently been having issues with the system being a bit slow at times (Hence the upgrade to SSD) One of the fans already in he pc case seems to have well shorted out or something as the cables for it now in places no longer have the plastic coating on as it melted it. Have removed this fan from the system, checked all that is visible with no sign of damage to other components but the system still just wont put an image on the screen despite turning on (with no smoke) could this fan of damaged other parts without visible damage?

Associate
OP
it is a 750w corsair psu, i am waiting for them to bring the pc round here to mine as i have a spare pc i can test the other components in to rule one out at a time.

Man of Honour
it is a 750w corsair psu, i am waiting for them to bring the pc round here to mine as i have a spare pc i can test the other components in to rule one out at a time.
Thats all you can do is test as theres no obvious cause but mite be worth trying to clear thd cmos on the motherboard.

Soldato
If PC is old enough to lack SSD it's certainly old enough to possibly have dead "BIOS" battery.
BIOS battery on its way out can cause some crazy symptoms.

Associate
OP
First thing i would do is test the gpu in yours to make sure it displays , then go from there.
cheers, was what i was thinking, that and the ram because the system wouldn't display eitiher on the onboard graphics regardless of which ram stick was present. Only other thing i have not done so far is reseat the cpu because i didn't have any thermal paste with me.
If PC is old enough to lack SSD it's certainly old enough to possibly have dead "BIOS" battery.
BIOS battery on its way out can cause some crazy symptoms.
good call i had overlooked this but will add it to my test list

Soldato
good call i had overlooked this but will add it to my test list
It has actually caused inability to power on situation once or twice here in forum in last year or so.
And PC being likely disconnected from power for that maintenance is prime time for BIOS battery related problems to show themselves.

Man of Honour
cheers, was what i was thinking, that and the ram because the system wouldn't display eitiher on the onboard graphics regardless of which ram stick was present. Only other thing i have not done so far is reseat the cpu because i didn't have any thermal paste with me.

Does that mean you tested the gpu in yours ?

Sorry im a little tired

Associate
OP
Does that mean you tested the gpu in yours ?

Sorry im a little tired
not yet, i should have the system here this evening so i can start testing and trying to find out what is going on tomorrow. Never known installing a few new replacement fans and ssd to be such a pain lol

Back
Top Bottom