Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Associate
Price of the MK now £174.50. If you respond to your recent price match case you should be able to get a further refund.

Ah, 3 days too late - has to be within 28 days and I'm just out now. Never mind - I was happy at £250, so £200 is still great.

£174.50 (at JL) for this keyboard though is an absolute steal.

Soldato
Just read that the app ram use limit of 5gb is continuing with IPad os 15 with Apple having no intention of removing. How crappy is that…..

I think it makes sense at the moment due to the fact that only a very small subset of devices have more RAM. It's amazing some of the things that can be done within the limits, look at the Divinity Original Sin 2 game, completely ported over to the iPad Pro within the limits. I suspect this limit will be lifted if and when we move to 16GB being a more traditional model.

Soldato
Would it be really hard for the OS to increase the app limit to 10gb or whatever if it detects the presence of 16gb RAM? I don’t know the answer, I’m just wondering if this is a technical limitation or Apple being Apple.

Soldato
It’s just Apple making things easier for themselves. Tbh I doubt the 16GB models will ever be able to use it especially as Apple said they have no plans of removing the 5GB App limit. Kind of annoying especially as they used the 16GB as a selling point. Glad I only got the 8GB 11”…..

Soldato
Nope not really it’s such a well optimised system. Just can see some being annoyed they have limited the hardware in this way. Just need to remember that your iPad is not a computer it’s an iPad and if you want a computer buy a Mac……lol

Man of Honour
Isn’t the 5GB limit per app? so it helps on multi tasking. Also I’m sure I read they are pushing a feature for devs to use past the 5GB.
Correct, it's per app so if doing a lot of multi tasking on the higher RAM model it may prove quicker and/or more efficient.

Soldato
It’s just Apple making things easier for themselves. Tbh I doubt the 16GB models will ever be able to use it especially as Apple said they have no plans of removing the 5GB App limit. Kind of annoying especially as they used the 16GB as a selling point. Glad I only got the 8GB 11”…..

I can’t see many people opting for the 1/2TB models just to get that extra ram as well. The price difference is monumental.

I just can’t make my mind up on the 11 or 12.9, I think the latter is way too big.

Soldato
I have a A12Z 11” and an M1 11” tbh I don’t notice any difference between them in my usage other than Geekbench. The M1 was a bit of a waste really but my Wife wanted a new tablet so ordered the latest. In hindsight grabbing another A12Z version and saving a few quid would have been a better option.

Soldato
The M1 was a bit of a waste really but my Wife wanted a new tablet so ordered the latest. In hindsight grabbing another A12Z version and saving a few quid would have been a better option.

At the very least you'll get an extra year of software updates out of the M1 and it'll likely be noticeably zippier than the A12Z in 4 or 5 years. The extra is probably money well spent if you'll keep the device for a while.

Back
Top Bottom