realistic speeds for wifi 6?

Permabanned
I have VM 1Gb/s and also 600Mb/s is about it over WIFI as their HUB4 the same as your fancy router is WIFI 6AX (I know there are different top speeds for them by combining all radios), the AX201 is also WIFI 6AX.

You can get WIFI 6E/BT 5.2 (AX210) now so that paired with a similar router with WIFI6E will be faster again.

Associate
I have VM 1Gb/s and also 600Mb/s is about it over WIFI as their HUB4 the same as your fancy router is WIFI 6AX (I know there are different top speeds for them by combining all radios), the AX201 is also WIFI 6AX.

You can get WIFI 6E/BT 5.2 (AX210) now so that paired with a similar router with WIFI6E will be faster again.

According to VM's own blurb, the Hub 4 is wifi 5 (802.11ac) standard, NOT wifi 6 (802.11ax) so 600 Mb/s is about as good as you're going to get over wifi 5.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-launches-gig1-the-uks-fastest-home-broadband#:~:text=The Hub 4 is powered,MIMO on the 5GHz frequency.&text=Gig1 has a download speed,an upload speed of 52Mbps.

Soldato
Yep, I was just showing the OP that you can get close to 900 Mbps over wifi 6.

WiFi is just one of those things that is heavily impacted by its environment, the way it’s been implemented/configured and the devices that are running on it.

It’s just one of those things that just because you can get 900mbps from WiFi 6, doesn’t mean you will get that speed in your unique circumstance.

Associate
WiFi is just one of those things that is heavily impacted by its environment, the way it’s been implemented/configured and the devices that are running on it.

It’s just one of those things that just because you can get 900mbps from WiFi 6, doesn’t mean you will get that speed in your unique circumstance.
I’m well aware that optimum wireless speeds will only be achieved in ideal conditions which obviously not everyone will have. However the OP wanted to know if it was possible to get close to 900 Mbps in IDEAL WiFi conditions over WiFi 6, which I showed him is possible.

Soldato
have i got a lemon of a router or am i being unrealistic expecting full speed wifi in ideal conditions? Any advice?

I did quite a bit of experimentation with Asus kit and the best chance of getting over 600mbit/sec sustained is to buy two AX11000 units, wire the second into your PC using RJ45 and then wifi connect the two AX11000 together.

That completely removes any 2x2 nonsense.

I sent them both back in the end and settled for 600mbit on the cheaper 2x2 Wifi6 asus kit and will wait 18 months for new Wifi6 kit to arrive in more abundance.

Associate
I did quite a bit of experimentation with Asus kit and the best chance of getting over 600mbit/sec sustained is to buy two AX11000 units, wire the second into your PC using RJ45 and then wifi connect the two AX11000 together.
Using a second AX11000 is waaaaay overkill, when a less buggy AX router from Netgear or TP Link will perform better - and you will save some money in the process as well. I say this as someone who's tried both Asus flagship routers, the RT-AX89X for wifi 6 and the Asus GT-AXE11000 for wifi 6E, both of which I was massively disappointed with. I bought them from US as they weren't available in UK at the time.

Soldato
the issue with buying a AX89X to go with a AXE11000 is that whilst the AX89 is one of the fastest standalone WIFI routers out there, it lacks the radios that the AXE11000 has to provide a back-haul channel when ai meshed.

Therefore, if you already have an AXE11000 and you really need speeds over 600 mbit in a mesh its better just to bite the bullet and buy the second AXE11000 rather than buy an AX89 set it up and then workout you cant setup the back-channel as the unit does not support it.

Associate
OP
OP, sounds like an issue with your Asus router. I also have a 900 Mbps FTTP line (TalkTalk Business) and easily seeing speeds of 800-900 Mbps over wifi 6. My router is a Netgear RAX200 and my laptop (Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen) has a Intel AX200 card (retrofitted). I'm seeing link speeds of 2.0 to 2.4 Gbps on the laptop and getting around 800 Mbps over wifi 6 speedtests. Desktop has a TP Link TX3000E wifi 6 card and with that i get the full 900 Mbps over wifi 6. Speedtests on both iphones 12 and 12 Mini around 700-800 Mbps. Personally I'm not a big fan of Asus routers, they tend to be buggy as hell on stock fw, hence why many use third party fw such as Merlin to get a stable working router. Though i dont think Merlin fw is available for the 'GT' Rog versions of Asus routers.

There is actually a version of Merlin for the AX11000 however when i tried it, it didnt provide me with any benefit over the stock firmware. Admittedly, this was a couple months ago i tried the version of Merlin so i need to perhaps consider whether things have changed since i tried it last.

I dont have any problems with stability currently and the only speed issue i have is with not getting even close to maximum wifi speeds, even in ideal conditions. When i tried the version of Merlin that was avaialble (mid April) it actually didnt provide all the features that stock fw does so i just reuturned to stock.

Back
Top Bottom