• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Associate
Hi,

I had a Gigabyte RX 6800 for a couple of weeks, then managed to bag an Asus TUF RX 6900 XT for an extortionate price one evening whilst drunk.

So I put the RX 6800 on eBay. It was in perfect condition, all temps normal whilst running CB2077, FurMark, Crysis 3, Eastshade etc.

The card sold, I arranged shipment, and shortly after it arrived I get this message from the buyer:

Hello, I have plugged in the card and it very quickly got extremely hot and blew my PC, I have a professional coming around later to check the card, but it looks faulty!

If it does not work I would like a refund please and I will return the card.

Kind regards,
J.

The buyer has small amounts of positive feedback, and the destination address is in a respectable area.

But I have the feeling that I am about to lose my trousers in one way or another.
I have the original receipt, so if it really is faulty I could return it to <<competitor vendor>>.
But if I get back a bottle of water or a brick inside the box, that's not going to be so easy.

HELP

Caporegime
I hope you took plenty of pictures of the card with the serial showing, you may need those if it arrives back damaged etc to show Ebay.

You also may want to try and troubleshoot with the user. He might just be a complete novice, sounds like he is if he's arranging a professional to come around and check the card/PC.

Ask what he means by blew up, did he get an error mesage, system turn off? His problem description is vauge and probably not correct.

Ask for pictures, ask for system specs, check his PSU, two cables to the GPU, picture of the system internals etc.

You might be able to debug his issue and resolve it without having to accept a return.

However, he could be about to try and scam you, or have just changed his mind and wants his money back.

Be vigilent. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Associate
What a nightmare. I'd try and get as much information for the buyer as possible and photos of the installation if possible so eBay are able to review everything.
Sounds like an installation problem as they wouldnt need a "proffessional" to come round and check it otherwise but will be difficult convinving eBay of that I am sure.
You could challenge the return via eBay first, but they tend to side with buyers in my experience.
If you have to deal with the return you could film yourself opening it to be on the safe side, then you are probably stuck trying the RMA route.

Associate
Agree with the above, hope you got serial numbers and pics... They might have had a dud card and was looking to replace it with yours.

Don't assume thou but ya see if you can help them out. Not sure what a 'professional' is going to do.

Associate
OP
I didn't photo the serial no.
I'm not very experienced with eBay :mad:

My initial response:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

A graphics card like an RX 6800 can be quite hard on power supplies: it does need a good quality power supply, bare minimum would be a 650w.
I was running it off a Corsair 850w and it ran fine.
It's also important to use two independent power leads from the PSU, and not to use an extension lead to connect the second power connector.

It also needs a case with good cooling.
I have a fairly large case with three fans at the front, and good airflow.
Temperatures running games and 3D Tests were all normal when I had it.

Let's see what your professional says - it could just be a faulty power supply.

Best Regards,
D.

Associate
I didn't photo the serial no.
I'm not very experienced with eBay :mad:

My initial response:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

A graphics card like an RX 6800 can be quite hard on power supplies: it does need a good quality power supply, bare minimum would be a 650w.
I was running it off a Corsair 850w and it ran fine.
It's also important to use two independent power leads from the PSU, and not to use an extension lead to connect the second power connector.

It also needs a case with good cooling.
I have a fairly large case with three fans at the front, and good airflow.
Temperatures running games and 3D Tests were all normal when I had it.

Let's see what your professional says - it could just be a faulty power supply.

Best Regards,
D.

Maybe the serial is on the box and he will send the same box? would you know your box if you got it back? but then again he might send a different box ...

Soldato
Clearly a scam. Im getting a professional to check the card and it blew up my pc:rolleyes:. EBay at its best.. This is why I never sell anything there or buy anything unless from a retailer selling there. Good luck.

Associate
OP
I’d have much rather sold to someone on here even for a lower price, but I don’t have anywhere near enough posts to access MM.

Soldato
Clearly a scam. Im getting a professional to check the card and it blew up my pc:rolleyes:. EBay at its best.. This is why I never sell anything there or buy anything unless from a retailer selling there. Good luck.

I don’t often sell on eBay but sometimes buy low value items for say a couple of pounds.

Soldato
What's the point as there is no way to say that is what you have posted :confused:

Yep, I had someone scam me on a motherboard, sent one back with the serial sticker removed completely, sent photos to eBay and they just said they had no way to know what was sent or sent back and gave the guy his £79 back no questions

Soldato
I'd try and be in when it arrives back and take a video of receiving it from the delivery driver and then opening it right after.

Soldato
Probs the psu was very weak and that just failed when he ran a game or benchy. Computers dont just blow up if its setup properly.

Email the buyer say, i have security coded the gpu with uv ink to identify it incase of a scam due to high value item. Or maybe not say how you coded it but give the impression you can easily i.d it if it was sent back and u could tell if it was a different card.

Associate
Hi,

I had a Gigabyte RX 6800 for a couple of weeks, then managed to bag an Asus TUF RX 6900 XT for an extortionate price one evening whilst drunk.

So I put the RX 6800 on eBay. It was in perfect condition, all temps normal whilst running CB2077, FurMark, Crysis 3, Eastshade etc.

The card sold, I arranged shipment, and shortly after it arrived I get this message from the buyer:

Hello, I have plugged in the card and it very quickly got extremely hot and blew my PC, I have a professional coming around later to check the card, but it looks faulty!

If it does not work I would like a refund please and I will return the card.

Kind regards,
J.

The buyer has small amounts of positive feedback, and the destination address is in a respectable area.

But I have the feeling that I am about to lose my trousers in one way or another.
I have the original receipt, so if it really is faulty I could return it to <<competitor vendor>>.
But if I get back a bottle of water or a brick inside the box, that's not going to be so easy.

HELP

There is no consumer law for second handed cards, So he can suck his balls tbh.

Back
Top Bottom