Haribo shortage - whats OCUK going to do now?

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57690505

German confectionery giant Haribo has said it is struggling to deliver its sweets to shops in the UK because of a shortage of lorry drivers.

A spokesperson said that like many other manufacturers and retailers, it was "experiencing challenges" that were hampering supplies.

The problems affect all Haribo sweets, including Goldbears and Tangfastics.

The haulage industry has blamed the pandemic and Brexit for thousands of unfilled HGV driver jobs.

Haribo said it was "working with partners across the food and drink industry" to address the problem.

The Road Haulage Association believes there is currently a shortfall of about 60,000 drivers.

It estimates that some 30,000 HGV driving tests did not take place last year because of the Covid pandemic.

The haulage industry is one of a number of sectors having trouble finding suitable staff as the economy reopens, leading some experts to talk of the UK's missing workers.

Kate Shoesmith, deputy chief executive of the Recruitment and Employment Confederation, told the BBC last month that before the pandemic, many lorry drivers in the UK had been nationals of EU countries, particularly Romania and Bulgaria.

They stayed in the UK after the Brexit referendum, but started leaving when coronavirus struck, she said.

"They have either sourced work in their home countries or they feel it's not right to return to the UK, either because of Brexit or the pandemic," Ms Shoesmith added.

The Department for Transport said it was well aware of the shortage, but that progress was being made with regard to HGV driving tests and recruitment.

What's OCUK going to do now? Are they going to switch to BonBons?

Soldato
For those interested outside of OcUK, Haribo have recently upgraded the Starmix with some new flavours and it's a real step up. There's now this sort of blackcurrant flavour gummie bear, which is superb. But I think across the board they have upgraded the flavours.

Can you tell I'm a fan?

Soldato
Gotta love the free harribos ocuk give you, just little things like that make such a big difference as a customer :)
With that said though, I work with truck drivers daily and they've all said if they left this job they could walk into another HGV driving job the next day, there is a huge demand for truck drivers just in the UK alone, especially since brexit a lot of the polish & Russian drivers have gone back home from what I've heard from agency's.

Soldato
Gotta love the free harribos ocuk give you, just little things like that make such a big difference as a customer :)
With that said though, I work with truck drivers daily and they've all said if they left this job they could walk into another HGV driving job the next day, there is a huge demand for truck drivers just in the UK alone, especially since brexit a lot of the polish & Russian drivers have gone back home from what I've heard from agency's.
Our drivers just got a 20% payrise apparently...

Soldato
I've thought about going into HGV work for a while now, the pay is significantly higher than I was expecting. I guess I will have to think about it.

Associate
If I'm not mistaken, the Haribo gets bundled along when you get stuff put into a different box for delivery. If you order something that comes pre-packaged and able to be delivered through that, then you get nothing, because they won't open the box to add the Haribo in and then deliver, because that breaks the seal(s) on them then. So cases, that come in their own large boxes for delivery, won't have them. But a CPU cooler that needs to be delivered, needs to be put into another box for safe delivery, so that one does get Haribo.

Commissario
If I'm not mistaken, the Haribo gets bundled along when you get stuff put into a different box for delivery. If you order something that comes pre-packaged and able to be delivered through that, then you get nothing, because they won't open the box to add the Haribo in and then deliver, because that breaks the seal(s) on them then. So cases, that come in their own large boxes for delivery, won't have them. But a CPU cooler that needs to be delivered, needs to be put into another box for safe delivery, so that one does get Haribo.
I suspect that is probably it.

If it's in a suitable box for delivery already they may just slap a label on it, although I think I did get some haribo stuffed in through the carry handles* on a large item once.

*The reinforced punchouts that some case boxes etc have to make it easier to carry.

Caporegime

Mine was individual components all in their own boxes in a massive box. Loads of room for Haribo but still none.

Back
Top Bottom