• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
I have my Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 pounding away mining ETH (and paying me out in XMR from a combined pool). Clocks locked at 1000MHz @900mV, mem 900MHz @ 950mV, latest WHQL driver on Windows 10 Enterprise x64. I need to finish setting up the undervolts for Linux before I switch back again, but I do need to do it - the hash rate is higher and I'd much rather have a *nix desktop than a Win one. It's running 100% flat out day and night, sitting at 57oC and using 114 watts, no dramas.

Associate
How is everyone getting on at the moment with their Vega 56? My saphire Pulse is still preforming admirably - im curious to see what clocks people have on the core and memory please?

I have mine running stock and undervolted! I don't want it to die. I have the MSI airboost variant that everyone seems to hate because it's a blower. Works well though, in an ITX case.

Soldato
Can anyone with the pulse 56 confirm something for me?

When you turn your computer on, is it normal to get zero fan movement at all? I seem to remember zero rpm technology or something like that.

Associate
I replaced my blower fan when the fan gave up.
cooler and more silent now
It has to work for another year :)
Really happy with the card as I run it on default and runs my games great

Associate
How is everyone getting on at the moment with their Vega 56? My saphire Pulse is still preforming admirably - im curious to see what clocks people have on the core and memory please?

I feel mine is still doing brilliant. (OC 1625,950)
I only have a i7 2600k (OC to 4.3ghz)
and gaming on a 1080p 23" Samsung

I was thinking, if to upgrade to the Dell 27" 1440p IPS
Would my rig still be able to run the new monitor or would it struggle and show its age?
I'm not sure if I have hit a sweet spot with all the parts and don't want to have to replace everything just yet, due to a baby being on the way.
Hoping a 27 1440p would be achievable and add more immersion?
Thoughts?

Soldato

Would my rig still be able to run the new monitor or would it struggle and show its age?
I'm not sure if I have hit a sweet spot with all the parts and don't want to have to replace everything just yet, due to a baby being on the way.
Thoughts?
MY vega 64 was doing fine at 1440p for the most part. It was certainly able to maintain 60 in most titles with exceptions being games like cyberpunk aka heavy Nvidia sponsored titles. Though there are some upscaling tricks that will give you 1100p performance while looking very close to 1440p that works with all games.

Associate

Thoughts?

Your Vega was designed as a 1440p card. I ran mine at 1440p ultrawide and I'd really recommend the ultrawide experience. One of the biggest upgrades you can have in terms of an immersive experience. 1440p without ultrawide won't add much immersions imo. I'd prefer a 1080p ultrawide. The sweet spot is 34 inch ultrawides imo

Like @Phixsator says, it's only when you run into the latest GPU killers like Cyberpunk that you're really having to dial down settings. Going from Ultra to high or even medium in some titles isn't that big a drop off visually also.

BTW mate your current bottleneck depending on the game and how many cores it demands is probably the 2600k

Soldato
Most of the big AAA games have optimised settings videos by either Digital Foundry or Hardware Unboxed, if you follow those you should get a fairly decent experience @ 1440p - especially once FSR is more widely used. It performs around 80-90% of a 5700xt which is absolutely fine at those resolutions. Agree on the CPU bottleneck, but jumping to 1440p should push the bottleneck more onto the GPU.

Associate
I'd really recommend the ultrawide experience. One of the biggest upgrades you can have in terms of an immersive experience. 1440p without ultrawide won't add much immersions imo. I'd prefer a 1080p ultrawide. The sweet spot is 34 inch ultrawides imo
I agree, screen width is more important than pixel density for immersion. I noticed that when I replaced a 768p 32" TV with a 1080p 27" monitor.

What I never fully understood about Vega is the memory voltage floor. I tried figuring out the exact stable core frequencies for different core voltages in 10 mV steps and noticed that around 850 mV the core frequency made a sudden jump from 13xx MHz to 16xx MHz. 850 mV is the voltage floor I set for the HBM at 700 MHz with the SoftPowerPlay table. So apparently the "memory voltage" is the most important stability factor at that point, which makes optimizing anything other than P6 and P7 a complex task.

Associate
I still got mine in a racing simulator and great card, is switched off 99.9% of the time though, was close to selling it for £500 given I barely use it. Wish I did in hindsight but liked it too much, too late now.

Associate
Your Vega was designed as a 1440p card. I ran mine at 1440p ultrawide and I'd really recommend the ultrawide experience. One of the biggest upgrades you can have in terms of an immersive experience. 1440p without ultrawide won't add much immersions imo. I'd prefer a 1080p ultrawide. The sweet spot is 34 inch ultrawides imo

Like @Phixsator says, it's only when you run into the latest GPU killers like Cyberpunk that you're really having to dial down settings. Going from Ultra to high or even medium in some titles isn't that big a drop off visually also.

BTW mate your current bottleneck depending on the game and how many cores it demands is probably the 2600k

I had actually looked at the LG 34GN850 for ages. However I got cold feet thinking of I upgraded to that and spent £900 on a screen, it may end up costing me a few thousand on a new PC, if it didn't run and that I'd have wishes I'd have got the 38" LG.

I then cooled off the risk of spending so much. However I saw the Dell at around £330 and thought it may be a cheap upgrade.

Now I'm sat thinking of the 34Widescreen again lol
It's a shame my mates don't PC game to compare or test.
So did you run a 34 Widescreen on the Vega no problems?
I've over locked the Vega, however, I can't do anything with the CPU, without upgrading motherboard.
Thanks for the input so far pal

Associate
I had actually looked at the LG 34GN850 for ages. However I got cold feet thinking of I upgraded to that and spent £900 on a screen, it may end up costing me a few thousand on a new PC, if it didn't run and that I'd have wishes I'd have got the 38" LG.

I then cooled off the risk of spending so much. However I saw the Dell at around £330 and thought it may be a cheap upgrade.

Now I'm sat thinking of the 34Widescreen again lol
It's a shame my mates don't PC game to compare or test.
So did you run a 34 Widescreen on the Vega no problems?
I've over locked the Vega, however, I can't do anything with the CPU, without upgrading motherboard.
Thanks for the input so far pal

Providing you're happy with 60fps and tweeking a few settings on some games then a Vega 56 should absolutely be able to power a 3440v1440 screen.

If you don't want to spend that much google electriq 3400 ultrawide - you can pick them up for between £290-£350. Both 1440p 34 inch ultrawides. I have the cheaper screen, as it's the older model and it's probably my favourite ever upgrade or at least up there. You can look up youtube reviews with it's original American name - Mass Drop Vast Ultrawide. Electriq rebadge other companies tech. I can't speak for the more expensive model but it's got a higher refresh 144hz v 100hz and I think it's curved.

Obviously games like Cyberpunk are GPU slayers though

Associate
I have a Vega 56 Pulse which I've deshrouded. The core clocks in HWinfo when playing Overwatch don't seem to be stable and jump around a lot, with the max being 1610/30mhz and the lowest being 1130mhz. Is this normal?

22222.png

Temps are good, with the GPU temp never really going over 70C, and the hotspot hovering around 86/87C.

Also some pics of my mod in my NCASE M1:

5OZohVr.jpeg

Cable management wasn't so hard. This is a R5 3600, Aorus B450 and Vega 56 Pulse. Only fans are 3x Toughfan 12s, the bottom are running as exhaust.

kE69dHZ.jpeg

Associate
The clocks jumping around is usually due to running into the power limit. Either raise that (from 180W default on the Pulse) and/or try to undervolt the card manually. It could also happen to be that the game is occasionally CPU or I/O bound and allows the GPU time to clock down.
Temps are fine, but a step down from the original shroud with enough air flow. Just being honest :p.

Back
Top Bottom