• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
Replacing thermal pads I think would come under you took it apart and easy to spot it was opened ;).. also the original thermal pads crumble when you try to remove them a clear sign even if you return them back as they were before RMA they were clearly removed. If you then open the GPU die side and replace the thermal paste too as you will need to when replacing the thermal pads on that side and that will also show it has been opened unless you can get same thermal paste they used.

So unless you can get the same thermal pads they used and same paste, all the signs are there to show it was opened, starting to think Nvidia used them thermal pads as a way to detect people opened the cards as they fall apart and crumble if you try to remove them.
Care to share any stories of somebody having there warranty claim rejected because the AIB or nVidia detected the card had been opened or had pads replaced?

I have not seen any yet. Closest I have seen is somebody admitting to fitting a water block when opening the RMA.

On the flip side... guy on these very forums posted his story of having a 3080FE replaced under warranty when he opened the card and found a broken component.
He even disclosed this fact prior to sending the card.

You seem the latest in a long line of fear mongers, purporting to tell everybody that will listen that the instant they open a GPU its warranty is 100% void, because the terms on a website said so.
Completely discarding the fact we do have consumer protections. If the terms on a site could be enough to void any claims... well why stop at opening the card? nVidia could claim "Do mining and the warranty is void", or "play too much CoD and its void". I personally think they state not to open the cards as it voids the warranty largely to put people off doing so. While in reality, only doing a spot-check for physical damage when a card comes in, followed by a test of it.

From a business perspective why would nvidia or an AIB spend money and time taking apart every GPU that arrives, to see if it had been opened or been modified?
To find the odd card which has been opened?
Then they need to prove this caused or contributed to the failure. Or at least expect to need to fight it in court should the customer not simply take their word for it.
Further, the customer can request the card back, so they better not damage it themselves when opening it.
And all this trouble... to save £650? (and of course it costs them much much less than that)

Plus, there is also the negative PR that could come from this. And this point kinda leads me to believe at least 1 of the following 2 to be true:

1.) Not many cards actually fail AND have had the pads changed
2.) The cards that HAVE failed with pads changed are not being rejected for warranty in numbers big enough that it has shown up on reddit/forums

Either way... as I have said ad-nauseum... if you are not happy changing pads on your card: DONT. No need to keep spreading fear to those that do.
After all this is a forum for PC enthusiast, with overclocking in its very tittle. Another activity widely practised that voids warranties.

Soldato
Care to share any stories of somebody having there warranty claim rejected because the AIB or nVidia detected the card had been opened or had pads replaced?

I have not seen any yet. Closest I have seen is somebody admitting to fitting a water block when opening the RMA.

On the flip side... guy on these very forums posted his story of having a 3080FE replaced under warranty when he opened the card and found a broken component.
He even disclosed this fact prior to sending the card.

You seem the latest in a long line of fear mongers, purporting to tell everybody that will listen that the instant they open a GPU its warranty is 100% void, because the terms on a website said so.
Completely discarding the fact we do have consumer protections. If the terms on a site could be enough to void any claims... well why stop at opening the card? nVidia could claim "Do mining and the warranty is void", or "play too much CoD and its void". I personally think they state not to open the cards as it voids the warranty largely to put people off doing so. While in reality, only doing a spot-check for physical damage when a card comes in, followed by a test of it.

From a business perspective why would nvidia or an AIB spend money and time taking apart every GPU that arrives, to see if it had been opened or been modified?
To find the odd card which has been opened?
Then they need to prove this caused or contributed to the failure. Or at least expect to need to fight it in court should the customer not simply take their word for it.
Further, the customer can request the card back, so they better not damage it themselves when opening it.
And all this trouble... to save £650? (and of course it costs them much much less than that)

Plus, there is also the negative PR that could come from this. And this point kinda leads me to believe at least 1 of the following 2 to be true:

1.) Not many cards actually fail AND have had the pads changed
2.) The cards that HAVE failed with pads changed are not being rejected for warranty in numbers big enough that it has shown up on reddit/forums

Either way... as I have said ad-nauseum... if you are not happy changing pads on your card: DONT. No need to keep spreading fear to those that do.
After all this is a forum for PC enthusiast, with overclocking in its very tittle. Another activity widely practised that voids warranties.

We had four 3090 FE at our work refused a return as we were having problems with them whining and temp problems, we told them we tried to fix them with hot glue the inductors to stop the bad whine and changed thermal paste and pads but they were still not great (they refused them on the grounds we opened them and modified them (we were honest with them). We ended up selling them on ebay and getting blower cards and aib 3 fan cards in the end and the rest were taken back for a refund or replaced with AIB cards

From this thread we were talking about :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34931688/

Associate
We had four 3090 FE at our work refused a return as we were having problems with them whining and temp problems, we told them we tried to fix them with hot glue the inductors to stop the bad whine and changed thermal paste and pads but they were still not great (they refused them on the grounds we opened them and modified them (we were honest with them). We ended up selling them on ebay and getting blower cards and aib 3 fan cards in the end and the rest were taken back for a refund or replaced with AIB cards

From this thread we were talking about :- https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/34931688/
That more proves my point than yours though.
You told them up-front you opened the card. Further to that you told them you put hot glue on components. No wonder they flat out rejected that.
If you had submitted the RMA without mentioning that, and as long as the cards looked physically un-tampered, Id hazard a bet youd have been successful.
That is if nvidia even accept RMA's for coil-whine.

With RMAs the first step of the process you are likely dealing with 1st line agents looking to reject as many a case as they can. When you tell them you opened the card, thats an easy reject.
While I appreciate honesty can get you a long way sometimes I dont believe RMA's is it. Especially when what you are admitting to is not something they would likely spot without taking the card apart.

Im surprised that your company was so bothered by the coil-whine... Id imagine these cards are in workstation class systems sitting under desks in an office environment?
Surely the fan noise and office noise drowned that out? While my 3090FE's coil whine bugs the crap out of me, I couldnt hear it over the jet-speed fans before I replaced the pads.
Im even more surprised your company then modified these expensive and hard to get hold of items before going down the warranty route.
But I guess its surprising a company would build or put together the PCs themselves at all...why not just buy a Dell/HP/Lenovo workstation and be done with it?
Or even a custom puget systems workstation and let them deal with the headache.

Associate
Anyone who owns or considering purchasing an 3090 FE, and want to get the best from their GPU should be prepared to change the thermal pads/paste and also undervlote.

Out the box these cards easily go over 1000mV, which is way to high. At these high voltage you will most likely get annoying Coil whine.

This was the first time I have opened up a GPU and it was very easy. All you have to do is make sure to have to right tools and take your time.

Also follow this guide
https://youtu.be/G3260LR2JzQ

https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

My 3090 FE now runs at 830mv, and 1910mhz. Next to no Coil whine.

Playing graphically demanding games.
Max Core temps 68c
Max Mem temps 86c

Before doing the above I was on the verge of selling the 3090 FE as it was to hot and noisy.

But I am now extremely happy with the new results. I highly recommend upgrading your 3090 FE.

Or at a minimum undervlot the GPU.

Associate
Anyone who owns or considering purchasing an 3090 FE, and want to get the best from their GPU should be prepared to change the thermal pads/paste and also undervlote.

Out the box these cards easily go over 1000mV, which is way to high. At these high voltage you will most likely get annoying Coil whine.

This was the first time I have opened up a GPU and it was very easy. All you have to do is make sure to have to right tools and take your time.

Also follow this guide
https://youtu.be/G3260LR2JzQ

https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

My 3090 FE now runs at 830mv, and 1910mhz. Next to no Coil whine.

Playing graphically demanding games.
Max Core temps 68c
Max Mem temps 86c

Before doing the above I was on the verge of selling the 3090 FE as it was to hot and noisy.

But I am now extremely happy with the new results. I highly recommend upgrading your 3090 FE.

Or at a minimum undervlot the GPU.

Thats an impressive undervolt.
Mine needs 850mv to be stable in everything at 1815mhz. You have +100mhz yet -20mv!

Mine still whines sadly... but its better. Fans dont go above 1100rpm anymore after changing just the rear pads :)

Associate
Thats an impressive undervolt.
Mine needs 850mv to be stable in everything at 1815mhz. You have +100mhz yet -20mv!

Mine still whines sadly... but its better. Fans dont go above 1100rpm anymore after changing just the rear pads :)

Correction :confused:, I just checked and at 837mv I get max stable Core clocks is 1870mhz.

My 830mv at 1910mhz would crash when playing Control with everything Max + full Ray Tracing and Dlss.

Out the box my 3090 FE boost to 1950mhz stable but over 1000mV and some Coil whine.

Undervolting these cards is a MUST. It makes a huge difference.

Soldato
That more proves my point than yours though.
You told them up-front you opened the card. Further to that you told them you put hot glue on components. No wonder they flat out rejected that.
If you had submitted the RMA without mentioning that, and as long as the cards looked physically un-tampered, Id hazard a bet youd have been successful.
That is if nvidia even accept RMA's for coil-whine.

With RMAs the first step of the process you are likely dealing with 1st line agents looking to reject as many a case as they can. When you tell them you opened the card, thats an easy reject.
While I appreciate honesty can get you a long way sometimes I dont believe RMA's is it. Especially when what you are admitting to is not something they would likely spot without taking the card apart.

Im surprised that your company was so bothered by the coil-whine... Id imagine these cards are in workstation class systems sitting under desks in an office environment?
Surely the fan noise and office noise drowned that out? While my 3090FE's coil whine bugs the crap out of me, I couldnt hear it over the jet-speed fans before I replaced the pads.
Im even more surprised your company then modified these expensive and hard to get hold of items before going down the warranty route.
But I guess its surprising a company would build or put together the PCs themselves at all...why not just buy a Dell/HP/Lenovo workstation and be done with it?
Or even a custom puget systems workstation and let them deal with the headache.

The workstations are in the lower part of the desks on a floating shelf system, these cards that whined were very loud and sounded like nails on a chalk board and in pairs they were worse as these workstations are NVLINK dual 3090s and even some with a 3rd gpu.

The original cards that were sent back came back as new cards with some with worse issues and some better than the ones we sent back, we did originally RMA the ones that whined really loud and they were accepted as they were not normal whine or had fan rattle issues and then they sent us replacements that were either better or worse or with a new faults like the fans rattling/jamming/catching on the rims, we got tired of it and thats why they all went back as they all got bad in time and the ones we tried to fix we had to sell on ebay as they wouldn't accept them.

The office noise floor is not even quiet normally that's how loud these cards were, they were heard over the fans of the systems and other side of the office the really bad ones, with the air conditioner noise in the background, that may explain how loud these were. We have never had cards this bad, from Titans to Quadros that never whined or made noises as bad as these FE cards and the heat issues even in a very high air flow workstation case, in an air conditioned office. The blower 3090 cards and 3 fan AIB cards have fixed our issues now and we have better performance too as they don't throttle like the FE cards did due to high VRAM temps and then the fans at 100%.

We have no need for a SI workstation/server makers, we are all I.T professionals and build our own workstations and server racks, we have zero need for any outside I.T services in our company we are all I.T people with years of experience and qualifications in the field.

Last edited:
Associate
The workstations are in the lower part of the desks on a floating shelf system, these cards that whined were very loud and sounded like nails on a chalk board and in pairs they were worse as these workstations are NVLINK dual 3090s and even some with a 3rd gpu.

The original cards that were sent back came back as new cards with some with worse issues and some better than the ones we sent back, we did originally RMA the ones that whined really loud and they were accepted as they were not normal whine or had fan rattle issues and then they sent us replacements that were either better or worse or with a new fault like the fans rattling, we got tired of it and thats why they all went back as they all got bad in time and the ones we tried to fix we had to sell on ebay as they wouldn't accept them.

The office noise floor is not even quiet normally thats how loud these cards were, they were heard over the fans of the systems and other side of the office the really bad ones, with the air conditioner noise in the background, that may explain how loud these were. We have never had cards this bad, from Titans to Quadros that never whined or made noises as bad as these FE cards and the heat issues even in a very high air flow workstation case, in an air conditioned office. The blower 3090 cards and 3 fan AIB cards have fixed our issues now and we have better performance too as they don't throttle like the FE cards did due to high VRAM temps and then the fans at 100%.

We have no need for a SI workstation maker, we are all I.T professionsals and build our own workstations and server racks, we have zero need for any outside I.T services in our company we are all I.T people with years of experience and qualifications in the field.
Sounds like you must have got some really bad whine. I dont think I could hear mine if it was on the floor in an office setting.

All the above kinda highlights why I have never heard of a company building PCs in-house.
You just off-load that to the OEM. Got issues with a workstation? You phone dell or whoever. They send an engineer. He fixes it. You move on.
If they are not good enough.... well your account manager sorts something out.

Always thought it be cool to work at a place that does let IT build the systems though... but I imagine it would end like any hobby. Not so fun when its work.

Associate
Hey everyone. I'm just writing because I just received notification to say I am now queue position 2 for my strix 3090 oc and I am guessing that must be cancellations because I have been position 12 for at least two months and there hasn't been any strix 3090 oc come in for ages according to @Gibbo thread. Just wondering if anyone knows that any stock had come in and it just hadn't been shown. Thanks

Associate
No updates on the gibbo thread for nearly a month now, what gives ? I thought it was supposed to get better this **** stock situation not worse :( I nearly bought a gigabyte 3090 for 2k since they’re in stock when I’ve already got a strix 3090 I paid 1.4k for, just so sick of waiting in the queue now with no movement or stock coming in :(

Associate
No updates on the gibbo thread for nearly a month now, what gives ? I thought it was supposed to get better this **** stock situation not worse :( I nearly bought a gigabyte 3090 for 2k since they’re in stock when I’ve already got a strix 3090 I paid 1.4k for, just so sick of waiting in the queue now with no movement or stock coming in :(
I'm in the same boat still. I purchased the 3090 Strix on Oct 1st and have had barely any information what so ever about it this whole time. Considering cancelling but knowing in my luck they'll probably ship them out the moment I do cancel.

Associate
I'm in the same boat still. I purchased the 3090 Strix on Oct 1st and have had barely any information what so ever about it this whole time. Considering cancelling but knowing in my luck they'll probably ship them out the moment I do cancel.

I feel your pain mate I really do, I ordered on the 6th October and it’s been a dam long wait, I feel like if I cancelled now I’ve just wasted 10 months waiting for a gpu that never came, I’m number 8 in the queue I’m not giving up now. Like you said I’d cancel and they would bloody ship the next day.

I do think it’s crazy how there has been no gibbo updates for nearly a month though, shocking really, I mean atleast let us know your still there or trying to get stock, just so in the dark atm.

Associate
Not my type of game but if any 3090 owners out there considering playing (Amazon - New World) You should watch this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rRawUVLek

Seems that EVGA 3090/80 GPU, are the ones that are mostly affected.

It is disappointing to see how bad EVGA is now. They now make some of the cheapest/poorly manufactured GPU's. Their FTW3 series use to be so good back in the 1080 ti days. But are now some cheap reference board design.

I am so happy that I skipped them this Gen and got a 3090 FE.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Not my type of game but if any 3090 owners out there considering playing (Amazon - New World) You should watch this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8rRawUVLek

Seems that EVGA 3090/80 GPU, are the ones that are mostly affected.

It is disappointing to see how bad EVGA is now. They now make some of the cheapest/poorly manufactured GPU's. Their FTW3 series use to be so good back in the 1080 ti days. But are now some cheap reference board design.

I am so happy that I skipped them this Gen and got a 3090 FE.
I had an acquaintance with an EVGA 3080 PC bought from a competitor which randomly crashed when gaming. Their support team couldn't find the issue but when I asked him to log GPU-Z during gaming it was clear to me that the card BIOS was terribly set up. The card kept trying to boost to nearly 2000MHz and kept tripping power and Vrel perfcap limits...Constantly bouncing off one limit or another with clock speed like a yoyo.
When I looked at comparative cards from Asus and MSI, they pretty much never hit a perfcap limit and sat at steady speeds between 1900 & 1980MHz. From what I've seen EVGA are not alone in 'testing their luck' with the silicon lottery by having unrealistic target clock speeds, but I can't see how stability is NOT affected in a situation like that.

Associate
Is there much of a difference between the Asus strix 3090, gigabyte Aorus master 3090 the gigabyte Aorus xtreme 3090, it’s just I didn’t think there was yet there is a price difference of £600 on OC website which seems a substantial amount considering they are all non OC’d 3090s. I may sound like a right plank but if someone could help I’d appreciate it :)

OcUK Staff
Can people in the Asus strix oc que have the white one sent instead as you have them in stock.

Nope you will get the cards you ordered and you will get this week as we had enough stock arrive today to clear the back orders, we are losing £350 per card but when we can honour back orders we shall do so. :)

This will now leave just the regular Strix back orders to fulfill which we are pushing Asus for as only 18 back orders.

Back
Top Bottom