• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Soldato
I've just managed to get an EVGA 3080 XC3 ULTRA for only around £70-ish above MSRP (£760 MSRP vs £830) through a bundle deal of a CPU/AIO/MoBo/RAM/GPU on a competitors site so there's still some very good deals out there.

I'm a little disappointed that OcUK's stock quantity has been so severely limited by the AIB's as, having used OcUK almost exclusively since they were still a small shop on the Imex park 15+ years ago, I would've much rather used them for this too but I suppose we've all got to be a pragmatist at the moment and get the bits where ever we can find them.

Associate
I've just managed to get an EVGA 3080 XC3 ULTRA for only around £70-ish above MSRP (£760 MSRP vs £830) through a bundle deal of a CPU/AIO/MoBo/RAM/GPU on a competitors site so there's still some very good deals out there.

I'm a little disappointed that OcUK's stock quantity has been so severely limited by the AIB's as, having used OcUK almost exclusively since they were still a small shop on the Imex park 15+ years ago, I would've much rather used them for this too but I suppose we've all got to be a pragmatist at the moment and get the bits where ever we can find them.

Same here, got a bundle with various bits for a new build I had been considering anyway. A few days after I received the parts, EVGA started sending out emails to people who were still on the EU waiting list to say that they'd be switched to the waiting list for LH restricted cards.

Soldato
I don't think it's a worthy upgrade at all, you're better off upgrading your cpu.

The 5800x is a pretty fast gaming cpu, changing to something 'faster' isn't going to make any difference at 4k as you'll be totally gpu limited. So even though the 3080Ti is terrible value for a few % over the 3080, it's still the only way to get more fps.

Soldato
not worth it , cant see these lasting much into the future at 4K and the difference isnt enough to justify going from 3080 to 3080ti best waiting for next gen which most likely have bigger jump at 4k

Associate
The 5800x is a pretty fast gaming cpu, changing to something 'faster' isn't going to make any difference at 4k as you'll be totally gpu limited. So even though the 3080Ti is terrible value for a few % over the 3080, it's still the only way to get more fps.
Didn't know what CPU he had. £1500 for a little more fps though??

Soldato
Didn't know what CPU he had. £1500 for a little more fps though??

His system spec is in his sig, if you're on mobile rotate the display to landscape and you'll see it. Forum quirk ;)

But yeah, at 4k you need more GPU grunt to get higher frames, the Ti can do that, but the extra gain (minimal) for the massive extra cost just isn't worth it. In my eyes it makes more sense to try and get hold of a 3090fe than a Ti

Associate
This is my first PC build, but i heard that the more VRAM you have the better, and someone told me that 10GB of VRAM on the 3080 isnt enough for 4K gaming, thats why i was considering selling my 3080 then getting the 3080 Ti for that extra VRAM. i also looked at the 3090 and 24GB VRAM seems insane but £2000+ for a 3090 is terrible value. i dont get why Nvidia's GPU's have so little VRAM compared to AMD, like all their 6000 cards have 12GB or 16GB of VRAM and Nvidia's cards have like 8GB-12GB (not including the 3090). and why does the 3090 have so much VRAM anyway?

Associate
Queue update today? Not had one since June 18th. Probably still position #15 for Asus Tuf Non OC. One of the bigger German etailers has had good stock recently even for 3080s. I believe this german etailer also owns OCUK so hoping stock picks up here soon. Have had a good few chances now to buy the 6800XT at a retail price but for my use case, the 3080 would be best.

Soldato
This is my first PC build, but i heard that the more VRAM you have the better, and someone told me that 10GB of VRAM on the 3080 isnt enough for 4K gaming, thats why i was considering selling my 3080 then getting the 3080 Ti for that extra VRAM. i also looked at the 3090 and 24GB VRAM seems insane but £2000+ for a 3090 is terrible value. i dont get why Nvidia's GPU's have so little VRAM compared to AMD, like all their 6000 cards have 12GB or 16GB of VRAM and Nvidia's cards have like 8GB-12GB (not including the 3090). and why does the 3090 have so much VRAM anyway?

yet the AMD cards dont perform as well at 4K, AMD uses GDDR6 which is slower and costs less Nvidia uses GDDR6x which is faster and costs more . 3090 isnt just gaming card the extra vram is useful for none gaming work related tasks .. Look at the 4K benchmarks between 3080 and 3080ti is it really worth it for the little gains ? already feel this gen is stretched at 4K gaming of course it depends on the game how long you are planning on keeping it for ?

Last edited:
Associate
The extra 8% to 10% fps you'll gain is not worth paying twice the price of your 3080. The AMD GPUs have 16Gb of DDR6 VRAM most probably due to them making the chipsets for this generations consoles where their 16Gb of DDR6 VRAM is shared between the GPU and system, notice the similarity here ? On PC much of that VRAM will be redundant.

Associate
yet the AMD cards dont perform as well at 4K, AMD uses GDDR6 which is slower and costs less Nvidia uses GDDR6x which is faster and costs more . 3090 isnt just gaming card the extra vram is useful for none gaming work related tasks .. Look at the 4K benchmarks between 3080 and 3080ti is it really worth it for the little gains ? already feel this gen is stretched at 4K gaming of course it depends on the game how long you are planning on keeping it for ?
Ok thanks for the info, not sure how long I’ll keep for, how long will the 3080 last me until it becomes obsolete? I’m going to upgrade to 32GB RAM, probably gonna buy a new pair of 3600mhz 16x2GB. Been looking at G Skill Trident Z one is CL18 3600 and the other is CL16 3600Mhz. Their about 30-38 quid cheaper the CL18 compared to CL16. Is it worth it getting the CL16, and also is the Neo version better than the regular version ?

Back
Top Bottom