RIP Lawnmower, Hello Artificial Grass

Associate
I think that that looks great, we are talking about laying artificial grass in our garden next year. I love having proper grass turf in the garden, but that thanks to the trampoline it has managed to kill most of the grass by blocking out majority of the light. The remaining grass is now mostly weeds anyway and I like the idea of a lower maintenance garden also.

Associate
^^^exactly. Also the comments are based on opinion without the full facts.

My garden, the “grassed” bit anyway, can either be hard surface - concrete etc or artificial turf. Make your choice.
The rest is as natural as any planted border in the city.

Really, if you think a 4x4m bit of artificial turn is the environmental devil one can only hope you live in an entirely carbon neutral wholly sustainable home. Those in glass houses ( yes, deliberately ironic)

Associate
^^^exactly. Also the comments are based on opinion without the full facts.

My garden, the “grassed” bit anyway, can either be hard surface - concrete etc or artificial turf. Make your choice.
The rest is as natural as any planted border in the city.

Really, if you think a 4x4m bit of artificial turn is the environmental devil one can only hope you live in an entirely carbon neutral wholly sustainable home. Those in glass houses ( yes, deliberately ironic)
Would be interesting to work how much energy people use to cut their lawn over 10 years. Versus the amount of the energy it takes to manufacture a 4m x 4m section of artificial grass?

Associate
Would be interesting to work how much energy people use to cut their lawn over 10 years. Versus the amount of the energy it takes to manufacture a 4m x 4m section of artificial grass?
It will be similar to the real vs artificial Xmas tree debate. Be sure to factor in the use of my petrol mower used on my front garden in your calc and the diesel bin lorry’s that take the clippings away.

But again you’re only looking at a very small piece of a much bigger picture.

Soldato

it’s got nothing to do with that - it’s about the effect these things have on a loss of habitat for wildlife etc - aside from the fact it looks bloody tacky but that’s all just people’s taste

Associate
it’s got nothing to do with that - it’s about the effect these things have on a loss of habitat for wildlife etc - aside from the fact it looks bloody tacky but that’s all just people’s taste

Poor argument. What about the lost of natural habitat taken by the house right next to your precious natural lawn.

Soldato

And the energy to keep your artificial lawn clean? They don't clean themselves they still accumulate leaves, dirt etc that needs sweeping blowing collecting somewhere where I used to work they used an industrial vac

Man of Honour
I’m not particularly environmental, but I couldn’t go down this route. People forget not only about the emission impact, but also the ecosystem that utilises a lawn, you’d be surprised what even a small lawn provides.

Associate
And the energy to keep your artificial lawn clean? They don't clean themselves they still accumulate leaves, dirt etc that needs sweeping blowing collecting somewhere where I used to work they used an industrial vac
You’re not reading this thread are you?

Real lawns need leaves removed, cutting, fertilising, moss killing, scarifying, hollowtining, edging etc etc.
Unless you are letting your lawn grow wild there is far more resources used in lawn care than artificial lawn care.

Soldato
Need a leaf blower/hoover thing though.

This is what I don't get. To keep it tidy you'll probably end up hoovering it more often as any leaves will be more visible and end up spending as much time looking after it Nice square lawn like that shouldn't really take much longer that 30min to mow every couple of weeks.

It does look neat though. :)

Soldato
You’re not reading this thread are you?

Real lawns need leaves removed, cutting, fertilising, moss killing, scarifying, hollowtining, edging etc etc.
Unless you are letting your lawn grow wild there is far more resources used in lawn care than artificial lawn care.
Wind your neck in. You are arguing something that is completely illogical.

Permabanned
OP
This is what I don't get. To keep it tidy you'll probably end up hoovering it more often as any leaves will be more visible and end up spending as much time looking after it Nice square lawn like that shouldn't really take much longer that 30min to mow every couple of weeks.

Yes. Didn't think about it that much. :cry:

Associate
Wind your neck in. You are arguing something that is completely illogical.

Calm down. You wouldn’t talk to me like that in person. Instead of spouting your wrong opinion, let’s see some facts.

I have both artificial and real lawns. I know what each takes to maintain.

Soldato
Poor argument. What about the lost of natural habitat taken by the house right next to your precious natural lawn.
See you’re still spouting silliness. Why have you got such a throb on for defending artificial grass and getting annoyed at ‘tree huggers’ and ‘eco warriors’ - do you work in the industry?

Soldato

Not even close. I have artificial lawn at the back, real lawn at the front. The front takes far, far more time and effort to maintain.

Soldato
Hate artificial grass plus it's crap for wildlife. I also just hate the modern fad of sterile gardens that are wildlife no go zones.
Do you feel the same about patios and decking too…..or is it just artificial grass???

and what about houses being built on old schools or football pitches etc etc is that ok too???

Back
Top Bottom