Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
No, that's not a fact. I've always said Southgate makes his subs too late on. Normally he doesn't make any until like the 85th minute or something daft, lol.

Look at how Italy has used their subs. First at 54 mins in the final. Before that they weren't afraid to bring on fresh legs much earlier than Southgate ever does.

In the Spain game Italy turned it around with their subs.

Southgate also has a nasty habit of taking off the players who are playing well, and leaving the ones who are struggling on the pitch!!

e: Btw to quote myself from an earlier post: "I hate penalties. You may as well toss a coin."

I want Southgate to use most of our subs in normal time not play for penalties.

In this tournament he's been making subs usually around 65 minutes I believe? Italy were losing so needed to make a change, in hindsight we should've made subs earlier as well to match them.

Who did he take off who was playing well? Rice - gassed, Trippier - gassed as well I think.

For me this is irrelevant as we should not be playing for penalties. Penalties are a mixed bag at the best of times, the toss of a coin (in England's case with the pressure, probably worse odds than that).

I agree with that for sure. I'm surprised Sterling wasn't taken off considering he apparently wasn't on the list of pen takers too.

Soldato
There is a distinct yob class of football fan and I despise the attitudes and ignorance that goes with it. The only good thing about losing is those morons can't bleat on about how great we are, and how we deserve it, as if it's our divine right or the like.
How come Scottish, Welsh and Irish don't have the same reputation yet they have plenty of football yobs? Nothing will change until you take a long hard look at your behavior.

Caporegime
That's quite inaccurate, I suggest you go and look at England's match history under Southgate!
It's not inaccurate in this tournament. Qualifiers against San Marino don't count.

Again last night, I chuckled. The commentators all saying, "Surely now is the time for subs." "I wonder why we haven't made more subs." "Are we going to use our subs?" "What's going on?"

I chuckled because it was the same all the way through this tournament. Esp in the games where we struggled Southgate was super reluctant to bring on players in normal time. He hardly ever used all his subs. He doesn't often make changes in normal time.

e: Oh and when he does make changes - in the games we're hanging on - how many times is it like-for-like.

How many times does Southgate take off a defender and bring on an attacker?

He's taking attackers off for attackers, and defenders for defenders (etc). When have you seen him abandon his cautious approach to bolster the attack?

Maybe my memory is just really bad, huh. But I don't think so.

Soldato
Grealish saying he wanted to take a penalty and said that he would, I think we all have to come to terms with the fact Southgate simply doesn't fancy him.

he was down as number ten apparently

saying you will take a pen and offering to take a pen if it requires more are different??

He's only ever taken one competitive penalty in his career and missed

dont buy that he was more than willing

Last edited:

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Some good news from last night, BBC trounced ITV 25mil to 6mil on the viewing figures or something. Not sure how many were internet streams, but hopefully it might make them realise their online offering is about 20years out of date.

Soldato
Almost everyone in here is talking about sitting back, you couldn't get near the ball from the 17th minute onwards.:p

The Italians outplayed, outpassed, outclassed England and controlled most of the game.

Even Cheillini was bombing up the park all the way to the final whistle, only one team was trying to get the ball in the net, as the Italians overpowered almost every area of the park.

If Englands defence wasn't actually decent, it would have been a whole different outcome on the night.

Instead of Southgate this and that, you should give more credit to the best team of the tournament by a long stretch.

Forza Italia!
Had we gone at Italy with a positive attacking line up I think we would have won comfortably but unfortunately we have a manager who is to cautious and instead plays for penalties.

Just look at Italy from 3 years ago till now with much the same players from not even qualifying to winning. Managers make a big difference to the team and luckily for you that you have Mancini, unfortunately for us we have Southgate.

Associate
england overachieved getting to the final, all be it with a favourable route the way things panned out.

as a neutral Italy vs either Belgium, Spain or France would have made the game a real spectacle rather than what was a rather turgid affair. maybe england scoring so quickly was the worse thing that could have happened to them.

Soldato
Had we gone at Italy with a positive attacking line up I think we would have won comfortably but unfortunately we have a manager who is to cautious and instead plays for penalties.

Just look at Italy from 3 years ago till now with much the same players from not even qualifying to winning. Managers make a big difference to the team and luckily for you that you have Mancini, unfortunately for us we have Southgate.

Mancini junked the 'fill the team with Juventus players' mentality, the team is nothing like the team of 3 years ago that didn't qualify.

If England went full on attack mode, Italy would have ripped England to bits, way too fast going for goal against an overexposed midfield/defense.

The Italian press/ball possesion is what killed it for England in terms of going for goal, they couldn't get near the ball.

Permabanned
england overachieved getting to the final, all be it with a favourable route the way things panned out.

as a neutral Italy vs either Belgium, Spain or France would have made the game a real spectacle rather than what was a rather turgid affair. maybe england scoring so quickly was the worse thing that could have happened to them.

Tbf, I can't think of the last final of an international I watched that had me on the edge of my seat. Very few teams play to win once their 1 up.

Caporegime
he was down as number ten apparently

saying you will take a pen and offering to take a pen if it requires more are different??

He's only ever taken one competitive penalty in his career and missed

dont buy that he was more than willing

His words not mine as a direct reply to pundits saying he should've been offering to take one so i'm assuming he's referencing the first 5.

Gangster
Associate
I’m English but I’m so glad Football is not coming home. What an arrogant bunch we are thinking we could win this.

We had an easy route to the final, anything less than reaching the final would have been unacceptable.

I hope we get a tough group in the WC and not qualify, that’ll show the world we are a bang average squad.

Caporegime
we need to go back across euro and world cup winners and check their routes to the final because easy routes don’t count remember with sonny's logic :rolleyes::o

Germany were utter tripe in 2002 and had a really easy route to the final. The real final in the world cup was the quarter final between England and Brazil.

It is quite simple really. You cannot judge the quality of a team by its knockout performance which why in reality the domestic league is the best metric of how good a team is. Unfortunately implementing something like that on the world stage would be difficult.

Caporegime

Not sure I agree with that.

France play very similar to us. Loads of attacking talent but they played counter attacking football and regularly had Griezmann and Benzema tracking back with only Mbappe staying up top. I don't think Deschamps would've managed the game any differently to Southgate.

Belgium looked a complete mess in attack and were lucky to beat Denmark and Portugal who absolutely battered their goal. Another team with a load of attacking talent but they play very negative, disjointed football under Martinez. Best team in the world because they've got the best squad for me, the manager does very little for them.

Italy vs Spain was a cagey semi final and Italy played exactly like us in the final. Sat back and hoped for a single chance to score which they got. I don't think the final would've been much different.

Soldato
Mancini junked the 'fill the team with Juventus players' mentality, the team is nothing like the team of 3 years ago that didn't qualify.

If England went full on attack mode, Italy would have ripped England to bits, way too fast going for goal against an overexposed midfield/defense.

The Italian press/ball possesion is what killed it for England in terms of going for goal, they couldn't get near the ball.
You Welsh, Scottish or Irish?

The first half Italy could only take pot shots from 30 yards. They couldn't get a sniff, holding the ball and did nothing.

To say if we went attacking we would have got beat is just insanity.

We have more than enough capability in that team to score multiple goals with a more aggressive set up.

Immobile and Berardi both garbage all tournament.

We bottled it playing too passive and deep, if we had pushed more for a second I believe we would have won comfortably.

Permabanned
I’m English but I’m so glad Football is not coming home. What an arrogant bunch we are thinking we could win this.

We had an easy route to the final, anything less than reaching the final would have been unacceptable.

I hope we get a tough group in the WC and not qualify, that’ll show the world we are a bang average squad.

That's the spirit.

Soldato
How come Scottish, Welsh and Irish don't have the same reputation yet they have plenty of football yobs? Nothing will change until you take a long hard look at your behavior.
where did I narrow it down to just England? Stop finding insult where none is intended. If it touches a nerve ask yourself why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom