I’m building a Polytunnel.

Soldato
Yeah its fresh soil so you'd expect that the nutrients will decline in time and the soil is compacted underneath (turf is always compacted so you don't sink in it when you walk on it) it so they aren't going to make much headway into that it's also prone to drying out for the same reason as the two layers of soil aren't really connected.

Look up Charles Dowding, he converts grass into beds all the time. A layer of cardboard, then compost and his beds sells market garden produce. This system does work. It's simply called no-dig gardening.

Caporegime
Yeah its fresh soil so you'd expect that the nutrients will decline in time and the soil is compacted underneath (turf is always compacted so you don't sink in it when you walk on it) it so they aren't going to make much headway into that it's also prone to drying out for the same reason as the two layers of soil aren't really connected.
thats why you rotate what you grow where.

some plants can grow roots in hard compacted soil and weaken it for the next crop too.

loads of farmers don't till the soil now too ;)

Caporegime
OP
Installed a shade net and some fans….also edged the whole tunnel with barge boards to make cutting the grass easier.

I’m now confident I control the temps inside to 80f even on a really hot August day…

RGZzfvZ.jpg

tpe9bTx.jpg

Got some peas…and broccoli :D

bKplj42.jpg

Yv8DNBZ.jpg

Soldato
Now that is awesome great work and now fans as well! Fancy replicating this in my back garden? :cry:

I'm assuming that the fans are manual control? Have you got anything smart/temperature controlled in there?

Soldato
Gods Country, But trailing in Ron-ski's solar wake
Installed a shade net and some fans….also edged the whole tunnel with barge boards to make cutting the grass easier.

I’m now confident I control the temps inside to 80f even on a really hot August day…

RGZzfvZ.jpg

tpe9bTx.jpg

Got some peas…and broccoli :D

bKplj42.jpg

Yv8DNBZ.jpg
Stop showing off with that brocolli…..i got lots of green foliage, but no heads growing yet

Soldato
Ah you're a no dig nut. :p

ah you're "backbreaker"... won't move with the times. we've run an experiment this year..an old-timer who insists on turning soil and my plot, I haven't turned my soil for 4 years since originally got the plot. I have more toms on my plants, more broad beans, less weeds. yes it's just a bit of fun and there are loads of variables but I can assure you, no-dig is the future.

rotters

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom