Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I do think the Jorginho stamp on Grealish was a red card though by todays standards. Over the top of the ball, studs on knee/thigh. That is dangerous, out of control, play.

Again not sure, full speed it is so fast.

If Jorginho doesn't go for that, Grealish gets up with the ball, gets moaned at by team. You could argue Grealish slide in from so far away he was never in control either. He goes get the ball, slides off it onto him.

In this case, it was so late in the game it wouldn't of made a difference. Maybe 1 less penalty miss for Italy :D

Associate
Again not sure, full speed it is so fast.

If Jorginho doesn't go for that, Grealish gets up with the ball, gets moaned at by team. You could argue Grealish slide in from so far away he was never in control either. He goes get the ball, slides off it onto him.

In this case, it was so late in the game it wouldn't of made a difference. Maybe 1 less penalty miss for Italy :D

I agree, don't think it would have made any difference. However, it is irrelevant in regards of the speed or what Grealish did. Jorginho made contact with his studs on Grealish. He went over the top of the ball, with both feet off the ground. It was a red card in my view - however irrelevant.

Soldato
Any team can be beaten, but listening to almost a nation(not you), year in year out at any fottballing event, that 'we are going to win it', gets a bit grating.

Not sure where you read this rubbish. Any normal England supporter doesn't expect or think we're going to win and the last few years we've been rubbish. If all your going by is pundits and media then more fool you.

If you had asked in this thread at the start where they expect England I'd hazard a good guess most would have said and been happy with the Semis.

The it's coming home malarkey is nothing serious, its hopium, bringing togetherness and abit of a laugh.

It seems other nations take it far too literal and assume where being arrogant. Where far from and haven't won diddly in over 50 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
wrong thread for this, but anyway...... are you a little slow ? The whole people sometimes being investigates / charged etc is the responsbility part that comes with free speech. The fact that you cannot understand that allows me to excercise my free speech in calling you an idiot, for which I will happily accept the responsibility and consequences that a Don will now likely show me a redcard on this thread.

You don't know or understand what free speech is then.

Jokes and causing offensive should be of no business of the state.

Gangster
Associate
I 100% don’t condone the racist behaviour of a small minority but does anyone else think it has been blown out of proportion by the media to cover over our failure?

I get that we should tackle racism but let’s not forget we are failures once again at a major football tournament.

Soldato
I 100% don’t condone the racist behaviour of a small minority but does anyone else think it has been blown out of proportion by the media to cover over our failure?

I get that we should tackle racism but let’s not forget we are failures once again at a major football tournament.
Well that is the debate isn't it, whether getting to the final was a good enough result, or is the expectation that we actually do win it with the current squad.
Can we analyse that? sure..but unfortunately these events have brought a bad side of England to the foreground and that's a more important societal discussion to be currently having than whether we won a football game or not.

Don
This thread is for discussing the final. I appreciate there will be some discussion around other matters linked to the game but if all we're discussing is the racial abuse that was aimed at a number of players and matters around this then start a new thread on it.

Any more posts on that subject from this point on will just be deleted.

Associate
not only that but Kane also engages in some outright dangerous cheating.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...anes-controversial-backing-in-tactic-20210129

As a Spurs fan (for my sins) I think what he does is actually disgraceful as it could end up injuring someone quite badly. Refs should be more alert to this sort of cheating and VAR should 100% be keeping an eye on him in deadball situations in the box. If he gets caught doing this he should get a red card for dangerous play.

Damn, I've seen Kane winning free kicks but had never paid attention or seen replays of what he was doing. As to say that's potentially very dangerous and clearly intentional.

Soldato
That's actually a pretty clever tactic, if you don't see the whole thing in detail it doesn't look deliberate at all. (not that I condone this type of playing..)

Soldato
He's been doing it for years and somehow always gets away with it. It's pretty obvious what he's trying to do. He even manages to get himself free kicks out it of somehow.

Soldato
Social media morons issues post match aside, can we agree that Saka's penalty was very poor as it was far too close to the keepers left and at a great height to save. Sancho's was better but still not great as it was further away from the keeper but still a good height to save whilst Rashford's was just plain unlucky, it was a very good penalty just a few inches the wrong side of the post for what would have been a great goal.

I know that shoot-outs require the strongest of mental strengths and it was good to see such young players with such confidence put their names forward but certainly in Saka's case I'd suggest maybe having a coach watch everyone take a few penalties and grade them on skill to avoid the same things continually happening again and again to England.

Soldato
Social media morons issues post match aside, can we agree that Saka's penalty was very poor as it was far too close to the keepers left and at a great height to save. Sancho's was better but still not great as it was further away from the keeper but still a good height to save whilst Rashford's was just plain unlucky, it was a very good penalty just a few inches the wrong side of the post for what would have been a great goal.

I know that shoot-outs require the strongest of mental strengths and it was good to see such young players with such confidence put their names forward but certainly in Saka's case I'd suggest maybe having a coach watch everyone take a few penalties and grade them on skill to avoid the same things continually happening again and again to England.
Do you honestly think that when they practice penalties Saka takes them that badly? Southgate has said they worked on pens every day and clearly on the back of that Southgate rated him it has just gone wrong on the night.

Soldato

There's two takes on this.

We can say Rashford was only a couple of inches away from scoring but the fact remains that his penalty was off target and so regardless of the actions of the goalkeeper, was never going in - I find it had to describe that as 'a very good penalty' - hitting the target should be the bare minimum, so you at least demand something of the keeper.

Saka and Sancho whilst far from good penalties, were at least on target and had the keeper gambled and gone the other way, would have gone in - they at least forced the keeper into making a save.

I can't get onboard with calling off target penalties 'very good', even in comparison to poor penalties that got saved.

Soldato
All 3 were poor penalties imo. Rashford as you say has to hit the target minimum. Sancho telegraphed where he was putting it, and Saka was no where near the corner of the goal with no pace. It takes a lot of bottle to lift the ball in big games like that, Maguire's penalty shocked me, it was sensational

Soldato
Only idiots would still be making arguments about that. Which is kinda what I was implying...
About what?
Not sure where you read this rubbish. Any normal England supporter doesn't expect or think we're going to win and the last few years we've been rubbish. If all your going by is pundits and media then more fool you.

If you had asked in this thread at the start where they expect England I'd hazard a good guess most would have said and been happy with the Semis.

The it's coming home malarkey is nothing serious, its hopium, bringing togetherness and abit of a laugh.

It seems other nations take it far too literal and assume where being arrogant. Where far from and haven't won diddly in over 50 years.

You can't possibly grasp it if you support England, you really can't, compare it to be the equivalent of watching skysports all season with a heavy pro Man U spin for 30+ years, regardless how good bad they were, you'd get ****** off too.

Do think there's been too much pointing fingers, the bitterness of defeat will fade for the players, but never forgotten, that feeling will fuel them for the future, pains me to say it, but I really do think England are just a tiny bit off doing a Spain run and cleaning up for a few comps, they could dominate for a while.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Do you honestly think that when they practice penalties Saka takes them that badly? Southgate has said they worked on pens every day and clearly on the back of that Southgate rated him it has just gone wrong on the night.

No offence to Saka but there was plenty of other options in the squad with solid penalty taking history under pressure, etc. even if he'd done amazingly in practice it would still be an additional gamble at a crucial moment vs what was available. If it was just the choice of Saka I could understand it but the whole choice for penalties was just amazingly odd from a tactical point of view - it is kind of what I'd have gone with if I had money riding on the outcome :s that or someone overrode Southgate because they wanted to write a story and instead it cost England (albeit it should never have come to penalties).

Soldato
No offence to Saka but there was plenty of other options in the squad with solid penalty taking history under pressure, etc. even if he'd done amazingly in practice it would still be an additional gamble at a crucial moment vs what was available. If it was just the choice of Saka I could understand it but the whole choice for penalties was just amazingly odd from a tactical point of view - it is kind of what I'd have gone with if I had money riding on the outcome :s that or someone overrode Southgate because they wanted to write a story and instead it cost England (albeit it should never have come to penalties).
I would agree he was an odd choice for the pressure penalty but I was responding directly to the comment that they should take a few in practice and a coach should recommend the best. This was clearly something they do and I’m sure all 5 of them stick them away for fun on the training ground. If he was going to throw subs on just for penalties he should have taken JWP lol

Soldato
All 3 were poor penalties imo. Rashford as you say has to hit the target minimum. Sancho telegraphed where he was putting it, and Saka was no where near the corner of the goal with no pace. It takes a lot of bottle to lift the ball in big games like that, Maguire's penalty shocked me, it was sensational
The Maguire penalty needs more credit, it was literally perfect. It even destroyed a camera for maximum drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom