Who shaves their head?

Soldato
Do you open them, clean them and re-oil them? Mine end up good as new after a little service.

Yeah but still somehow they seem to run slow - as though they are on low battery. This is after a full charge too.They do the job, but I much prefer wet shaving.

Unfortunately my wife disagrees and doesn't like it completely off. A compromise may be to try a waterproof skull shaver. I believe a Remington model was posted earlier in this thread. I'd rather go for a brand name than an Amazon special.

Soldato
Keeping them oiled? I have the quick cut but can see me upgrading them at some point.

Also a good channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwBM95HF8Wjnf36i86w3ZQg

Sorry I missed your post. Yeah brushing them down, oiling them, recharging when battery level is low.

I feel like since these were my first clippers after going bald, that they're just entry level. Something better is out there as I approach being an "intermediate" baldie :p

Thanks for the YT channel link.

Soldato
Sorry I missed your post. Yeah brushing them down, oiling them, recharging when battery level is low.

I feel like since these were my first clippers after going bald, that they're just entry level. Something better is out there as I approach being an "intermediate" baldie :p

Thanks for the YT channel link.
Ah okay good stuff. Yeah they feel a little light weight but a great little trimmer. Funny watching the prices go through the roof at the start of lock down! I quite fancy some Wahl ones at some point but think I'll miss the curved edge.

Soldato
Ah okay good stuff. Yeah they feel a little light weight but a great little trimmer. Funny watching the prices go through the roof at the start of lock down! I quite fancy some Wahl ones at some point but think I'll miss the curved edge.

If I was intending to stick with clippers I'd have to get something similar to these as they're so well shaped and easy to handle. I don't think others like them exist, I'd want them to cut a little closer too. I'll look into skull shavers for now but I'm not encouraged by the lack of reviews on this thread. Can't trust Amazon reviews and I'm suspicious all the "top 10 hair shaver" articles put their sponsor at number 1 spot.

Soldato
Yeah but still somehow they seem to run slow - as though they are on low battery. This is after a full charge too.They do the job, but I much prefer wet shaving.

Unfortunately my wife disagrees and doesn't like it completely off. A compromise may be to try a waterproof skull shaver. I believe a Remington model was posted earlier in this thread. I'd rather go for a brand name than an Amazon special.

Have you tried them whilst plugged in? Maybe you have a real thick head of hair you didn't know about lol

Soldato
If I was intending to stick with clippers I'd have to get something similar to these as they're so well shaped and easy to handle. I don't think others like them exist, I'd want them to cut a little closer too. I'll look into skull shavers for now but I'm not encouraged by the lack of reviews on this thread. Can't trust Amazon reviews and I'm suspicious all the "top 10 hair shaver" articles put their sponsor at number 1 spot.
I'm fairly sure there were quite a few complaints on their FB page, though I expect they get scrubbed off/filtered. Personally I'd just get a leaf shaver at that point.

Soldato
I'm fairly sure there were quite a few complaints on their FB page, though I expect they get scrubbed off/filtered. Personally I'd just get a leaf shaver at that point.

What are the benefits of a leaf shaver over a mach 3 or something? Or are they the same?

I had to Google leaf shaver

Soldato
What are the benefits of a leaf shaver over a mach 3 or something? Or are they the same?

I had to Google leaf shaver
I just don't want to pay for Mach 3 or similar blades as I've been using DE blades for my face/neck for close to 10 years. I can't go back after using Feather blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMG6U3v7_k

I'm not wedded to the idea of a Leaf, though they do seem to review very well. I just know I want proper DE blades rather than cartridges.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll look into skull shavers for now but I'm not encouraged by the lack of reviews on this thread. Can't trust Amazon reviews and I'm suspicious all the "top 10 hair shaver" articles put their sponsor at number 1 spot.

I've been using my Skull Shaver since the start of the year with no issues. I was using some older Wahl clippers that I'd had for about 10 years before that. I'd been debating getting a Skull Shaver for a while as I couldn't find many reviews so in the end I just took a punt on it and I'm glad I did. It's quicker to cut, easier to handle, cuts closer and makes zero mess. I'm still on the original blade, cutting my hair 2 or 3 times a week and if mine breaks, I'd get another one without hesitation!

Soldato
I've been using my Skull Shaver since the start of the year with no issues. I was using some older Wahl clippers that I'd had for about 10 years before that. I'd been debating getting a Skull Shaver for a while as I couldn't find many reviews so in the end I just took a punt on it and I'm glad I did. It's quicker to cut, easier to handle, cuts closer and makes zero mess. I'm still on the original blade, cutting my hair 2 or 3 times a week and if mine breaks, I'd get another one without hesitation!

What's the exact make and model? I would be happy with that. Does it work in the shower?

Associate
Prob at the 20 years mark of "no guard" clippers... I suspect even if my hair magically regrew thick all over I'd still prob do a 2 or 4 cut ... Low maintenance is nice...

Soldato
What's the exact make and model? I would be happy with that. Does it work in the shower?

I've got a Pitbull Gold Pro. They're £120 at the moment, but I bought mine on offer. The specs say it's IPX5 so I probably wouldn't chance it in the shower, however I've got mine wet when washing it and it's been fine.

Man of Honour

I've had the Remington RX5 since Christmas, shave my head under the shower with it a couple of times a week. Gets basically as close as a wet shave.
Long term reliability put me off dropping £100+ on the skull shavers a few of the reviews I could find said they were great but didn't last all that long considering their price tag.

Soldato
Long term reliability put me off dropping £100+ on the skull shavers a few of the reviews I could find said they were great but didn't last all that long considering their price tag.

That was what put me off originally, but I managed to get it for just under £100 and it has a two year warranty anyway.

Soldato
I've had the Remington RX5 since Christmas, shave my head under the shower with it a couple of times a week. Gets basically as close as a wet shave.

Bought the RX5. The waterproof aspect and the price (£60) is what made me pick it over thr Pitbull.
Really appreciate the recommendations from everyone. Looking forward to trying it out.

Back
Top Bottom