BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
I would avoid a G.fast service estimated at 108Mbps - that's right on the edge of service and the upload is likely to be slower than FTTC. If you can get G.fast then you can get the full sync rate from FTTC.

APM

APM

Associate
Yes it's offering the on demand and does tell me G.Fast is available.

How can I discover when I'll be able to get the full fibre though?

Soldato
Yup, I wouldn’t put too much stock into what’s been published. We’ve never been on the list and had FTTP retrofitted at the beginning of the year.

It will happen when it happens, the best thing you can do is just sign up to the email and they will tell you when your area goes live.

Soldato
It's worth checking the Openreach fibre checker rather than relying on them emailing you. I got an email Monday morning saying that FTTP was 'now available' at my address even though I had it install in June 2020.

Caporegime
A few days ago my connection speed improved noticeably to a large extent. The last booked 'engineer visit' must have been Openreach working on the exchanges down along our road,
and although we received a notification saying that the problem had been addressed, it took several days before anything was evident.

I've just done a Speedtest run: ping 7; download 67.79; upload 18.60.

So, not hitting the supposed guaranteed minimum of 74 but it's certainly miles better.

APM

APM

Associate
Thank you chaps, I had an email from BT offering me a decent re-contract for 24 months on my current 78Mbps package which I didn't want to accept if I could have had FTTP inside the next few months or so.

I guess I'll be stuck with BT for FTTP when it comes along so maybe that's when they'll knock me for a few quids.

Soldato
Even if FTTP comes along during your contract period BT will upgrade you without any problems. Switching away to another ISP whilst in contract is a different matter though.
What ISPs use Openreach's FTTP network and which ones don't? Are there any differences in service between the two types of network?

Soldato
What ISPs use Openreach's FTTP network and which ones don't? Are there any differences in service between the two types of network?

Openreach FTTP providers are listed here. However, there's some providers that sell both Openreach FTTP and an alt net FTTP network. Zen for example sell Openreach & City Fibre FTTP. The changes of more than one FTTP service being available at your house is slim though.

The main difference is that alt net providers tend to have symmetric products. So my BT FTTP is 900Mbps down, 100Mbps up - it's asymmetric. City Fibre do a 1000Mbps down, 1000Mbps up prouduct - it's symmetric.

If I had the choice I'd go with a symmetric product as the extra upstream would be very welcome but I'm very far from unhappy with my BT FTTP.

Soldato
I see. Symmetric definitely would be better for me as I'd want fast upload to sync with off-site backups. Interesting that providers can use multiple different physical networks though.

Caporegime
When (Openreach) FTTP gets here I'll be taking the 900Mbps product just to get the 100Mbps upload, but I'd pick 200Mbps symmetric if it was an option.

Back
Top Bottom