The decreasing standards of written English

Associate
When I was 15-16 I did a paper round stuck that on my cv, then did an apprenticeship in IT. That was the start. :p

Great. Not everyone knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives at 16, and many people don't get the experience they would later need.

@BallistixOnZ490 your white knight has arrived

But you did insinuate I only needed a care worker because I'm black. That's definitely more racist than anything I have been accused of, may I remind you I hate all humans equally.

Associate
Its also white liberals that push to reduce pass grades and entry levels for black people, why exactly is that? Why do white liberals think that black people cant score the same?

Conservatives / right wingers would have the same requirements for everyone and believe in individual merit above all else.

Liberals only care about filling diversity quotas regardless of skill.

Caporegime
everyone i know who is very wealthy or well of big house cars the women :p none are good at english written or spoken. its not really important. for 99 percent of things. also people need to realize we have 40 different dialects alone in england alone i think it is along with slang that makes what people assume proper english not proper english.

Man of Honour
I'm really guilty of one particular Bristolian/South West trope.

"where's that to then?"

I don’t doubt that “where’s it to?” is common Bristol parlance, but I don’t particularly recall hearing it whenever I was there.
However I heard it all the time in South Wales on my multiple visits there as a truck driver.
A London friend lived in Caerphilly, having married a girl from Llanbradach, and I would crash at their place when I was in the area, another example of Wales speak at breakfast that his wife used was, “Poached eggs on toast is it Jean?”

AGAIN? Now what?
Detesting tea, or my pronunciation of scones?
To me scones rhymes with bones,
Does anyone call the Welsh singer Tom Jones, Tom Johns?

Can I be racist against other white people? if so how? :)

This should be good, I’m guessing someone who has given the sun bed a bashing.

Man of Honour
[..]
AGAIN? Now what?
Detesting tea, or my pronunciation of scones?
To me scones rhymes with bones,
Does anyone call the Welsh singer Tom Jones, Tom Johns?

Consistency in spelling and pronunciation in English is like Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition - nobody expects it :)

There are reasons for it, but that would be a different thread.

This should be good, I’m guessing someone who has given the sun bed a bashing.

And been fined for criminal damage, presumably. Sun beds probably cost a fair bit and bashing one would probably break something.

As for the idea that it's impossible for a person to be racist against the "race" they're assigned to, that's obviously blithering nonsense. Nobody who has thought about it at all could believe such a silly idea, so I assume that anyone who claims it's true is either trolling or deluded.

Associate
everyone i know who is very wealthy or well of big house cars the women :p none are good at english written or spoken. its not really important. for 99 percent of things. also people need to realize we have 40 different dialects alone in england alone i think it is along with slang that makes what people assume proper english not proper english.

Exactly. English skills and education up to 16 has absolutely zero impact on a persons life.

Associate
Exactly. English skills and education up to 16 has absolutely zero impact on a persons life.

I hate to disagree with you, but by 16 the education system had taught me how to write persuasively, how to use a computer, basic mathematics that I use to this day, how to catch a ball, how to play football, how to read, the trappings and dangers of unprotected sex, various drugs, details about other cultures and about religions, admittedly european-centric historical context and what happens if you get lithium wet.

Okay - that last one is somewhat situational - but a lot of what I learnt at school before 16 has turned out pretty useful!

Associate
I hate to disagree with you, but by 16 the education system had taught me how to write persuasively, how to use a computer, basic mathematics that I use to this day, how to catch a ball, how to play football, how to read, the trappings and dangers of unprotected sex, various drugs, details about other cultures and about religions, admittedly european-centric historical context and what happens if you get lithium wet.

Okay - that last one is somewhat situational - but a lot of what I learnt at school before 16 has turned out pretty useful!

Yes and? None of that is useful for any job, or to earn money. Most of it is common sense that most kids learn themselves from reading.

Associate
Yes and? None of that is useful for any job, or to earn money. Most of it is common sense that most kids learn themselves from reading.

I can only speak to my experience but I've found being able to write formals in excel based on the maths tutorship in school instrumental to my career. That's only one example. There is absolutely no way I would have had the patience to learn algebra off my own back independently - and hats off to you if you have a love of learning that deep!

Back
Top Bottom