It's too hot :(

Soldato
I wonder if a quiet indoor air conditioner exists or if it just a limitation of the technology. I know the answer is to put it outdoors but they still aren't exactly silent and can annoy the neighbours. It's like heat pumps, the noisy bit goes outdoors to annoy everyone else.

Yeah I thought it wouldn't be as loud as some of the fans I am using (which I consider to be pretty loud) but I was wrong. I would say the loudness is equivalent to running a tumble drier in the same room lol.

How's it going now?

Good but noisy. I have decided to turn it off for a bit for now. It got the temp down to 20c after an hour or so, which is good. I think it's one of those that you just use when you absolutely have to, otherwise leaving it on all the time would be annoying, at least for me.

Soldato
Yeah I thought it wouldn't be as loud as some of the fans I am using (which I consider to be pretty loud) but I was wrong. I would say the loudness is equivalent to running a tumble drier in the same room lol.

Good but noisy. I have decided to turn it off for a bit for now. It got the temp down to 20c after an hour or so, which is good. I think it's one of those that you just use when you absolutely have to, otherwise leaving it on all the time would be annoying, at least for me.

Mine doesn't seem that loud, but I do have a large pedestal fan going constantly in the room so I'm probably used to it, plus I like a bit of white noise as well.

It can make a bit of a noise if the compressor (if that's what it is) switches itself off and on but I just have mine set to max all the time so the compressor stays on.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is whether it helps you get a good night's kip in the heat for a change.

Rather cool outside here today but I've still got the A/C on.

Soldato
Mine doesn't seem that loud, but I do have a large pedestal fan going constantly in the room so I'm probably used to it, plus I like a bit of white noise as well.

It can make a bit of a noise if the compressor (if that's what it is) switches itself off and on but I just have mine set to max all the time so the compressor stays on.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is whether it helps you get a good night's kip in the heat for a change.

Rather cool outside here today but I've still got the A/C on.

Yours might be quieter than mine. The db rating on mine said 65db but I reckon it's louder than that. I've had AMD graphics cards that had non aftermarket fan coolers (the ones with exhausts) on them that went as high as that and cpu fan coolers that did similar back in the 2000s, and this seems louder than those, but it might be I'm not used to that amount of noise these days with quieter rigs and components.

Wasn’t it supposed to be cooling down? Feels hotter than it’s been all week in the North West today.

Yeah it has been consistently hot in NW all week, and today has been the hottest day so far.

Associate
Yeah started not too bad but by dinner was red hot again, really can't fathom how people like heat like this, some woman said on tv she loves it when its red hot cause it makes her skin tingle, wish it made me tingle instead of grimey sweat dripping of me. Next week looks more average temps, hoping they haven't got it wrong like they did last weekend when they predicted not too hot and ended up like the hottest day we've ever had on the Saturday.

Soldato
Yours might be quieter than mine. The db rating on mine said 65db but I reckon it's louder than that. I've had AMD graphics cards that had non aftermarket fan coolers (the ones with exhausts) on them that went as high as that and cpu fan coolers that did similar back in the 2000s, and this seems louder than those, but it might be I'm not used to that amount of noise these days with quieter rigs and components.

Yeah it has been consistently hot in NW all week, and today has been the hottest day so far.

Yes the NW has been blistering today

Soldato

Just checked mine and it says it's 54dB.

I'm not fussed on dB tbh, as long as it does the job.

Caporegime
Today was the hottest day in Cardiff. But.. I was out in my kayak again tonight and the clouds are starting to roll in. And at 10 pm when I came ashore the temperature was definitely cooler than Tuesday at same spot.

It's ending.... Noooooo

Soldato
Yes, salad with cold meat, I'd prefer this to BBQ because even though BBQ doesn't heat the house, it heats the body.

If only I could get any salad went to sainsburys and the the shelves are depleted the salad shelf is completely empty and had to go without. Not sure if its the heatwave or something else thats happening at the moment...

Soldato
Where is this cooler weather?

Woke up to room temp of 31.2, after I had managed to get it down to 26.2 at 6am.

Down to 27.6 at 1.15am with front door open and every window open, no breeze.

Had 2 DIY a/c sessions in the bathroom earlier.

Soldato
It was supposed to be only 23c tomorrow, now it's up to 26c

You lied to me mr weatherman, lied right to my face

Happens a lot in summer, cold front gets predicted but hot fronts tend to get stuck and are hard to shift, which is probably what has happened.

Wed and Thurs also had rain warnings but both days completely dry, another warning for Friday but I bet its dry again.

Soldato
If only I could get any salad went to sainsburys and the the shelves are depleted the salad shelf is completely empty and had to go without. Not sure if its the heatwave or something else thats happening at the moment...

I think it's due to all the covid isolation being enforced.

GF and I went for a late walk at 10pm, ended up near Tesco because she wouldn't go through the woods in the dark. Bought lollies for the walk home and got off to sleep quite easily at 11:30

Associate
And…relax.

Temp in the NW was much more pleasant overnight. Sleeping with just a duvet cover, and I was too cold. I can stop looking up Aircon prices, and remember that it’s only a few nights a year I’m too hot. To be fair, we only used the fan one night last year, and a couple of times the year before. This is why I’ve never got round to getting AC fitted. (Admittedly, we’re lucky enough to live in an area where it’s quiet enough to have the windows open. If I lived a city, I’d have it).

It’s funny that the 3-4 degree drop is the difference between pleasant and uncomfortable (and why the North and Scotland don’t really need Aircon, whereas I can definitely see why it’s becoming popular with southerners).

Back
Top Bottom