New car delays.

Soldato
Seems so many BMW's are hitting dealer stocks with base Hifi. My dealer thinks a lot are cancelled orders because customers have specced HK audio and had it deleted due to supply and are refusing cars. (Only looking at X5's)

We've been looking at new Stock X5 45e's with many options and were seeing some with EVERYTHING including tow bars.... But basic Hifi.

Looks like we may have to slum it and upgrade at our expense

Caporegime
Agreed, which is why I originally said more than 2 or 3 months I'd be looking elsewhere.

As I have said in a few posts early clearly I am out of touch but doesn't mean its any less surprising or dare I say wrong.

Which is fine which if you are aware there is a long lead time.

I'm assuming you have to pay a deposit to place the order then pay in full on arrival? What size is the deposit out of interest?

£1k. And yes I would normally do around 4 months for a new car but being fully aware of the issues back in April, I brought that forward as I knew to expect 6 months. Most people cant surely be unaware of this and come as any surprise?

Man of Honour
Waited 9 months for my first M3 in 2001 (it arrived in 2002). Lots and lots of supply chain issues at present, world is a mess.

Rest assured the dealer wants your car delivered ASAP.

Caporegime
Waited 9 months for my first M3 in 2001 (it arrived in 2002). Lots and lots of supply chain issues at present, world is a mess.

Rest assured the dealer wants your car delivered ASAP.

Of course he does as chances are hes getting your old car to sell as his used stock.

At the MErc dealership i was at the other month the guy was saying their used stock was about a third of normal and most used cars are sold before they ever even land as they have a waiting list of people to get in touch when a part ex comes in.

Associate
I think when the weather shifts if it's taking much longer I'll do that. Not having a car for a few weeks has somewhat backfired though as now I'm thinking "Do I even need a car?" ....

You won't be saying that when it turns up :) it is a nice motor..

Soldato
I work in the industry and there’s talk of Even if a car is here for the end of the year, the manufacturers won’t allow registrations until 2022 to keep their co2 levels down so they don’t see a big fine.

I ordered a new CLA Shooting Brake in February. Was meant to be May, then July. Then August and now it’s October. I don’t expect to get it this year.

Some dealers have legitimately no stock. It’s brutal.

Toyota are fine, because they don’t employ JIT supply chains after the nuclear meltdown but everyone else is really struggling.

Soldato
Agreed, which is why I originally said more than 2 or 3 months I'd be looking elsewhere.
Looking elsewhere = sometimes dealers will sell you their stock/display models, cancelled orders that have already hit the production line, orders that were created to fill any lull in demand.

My normal chat with dealers when buying new cars is "tell me what you have coming" and they show me their order portal. This makes the wait anything from 1/2 days to a week or so. Never have I said "let me spec my own car".

Soldato
Seeing people ordering Octavias now being told Jan/Feb/March - guessing dates vary based on what options they're picking and how much those options are impacted by semiconductor shortages.

I was told 15 weeks for a vRS three months ago so it looks to be getting worse, thankfully I found one in stock I was happy with but still waited about 5 weeks.

Associate
Mg5 ev. Driving within 7 days of test drive, it would have been shorter but i chose to collect on a weekend.

I guess the Chinese go to the front of the queue for parts made in their own country.

Caporegime
I was told 15 weeks for a vRS three months ago so it looks to be getting worse, thankfully I found one in stock I was happy with but still waited about 5 weeks.

Thats the thing., If I had wanted somebody elses spec I cloud have had my new car already. But 2 out of my last 3 cars have had to be quick buys (i lost one in a flood and another a total write off) so I took the closest spec to what i wanted and one was already in the docks and the other time it was already on the boat coming over. Neither were my colours of choice - one was white and one was black and I couldnt find any available cars with panoramic sunroof and on one car I had to live without a heated windscreen. Neither had upgraded stereo package either.

so its great if you can find a car near to the spec you want and you dont really car about colour but thats why I like factory builds. I get exactly what I want.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Seems so many BMW's are hitting dealer stocks with base Hifi. My dealer thinks a lot are cancelled orders because customers have specced HK audio and had it deleted due to supply and are refusing cars. (Only looking at X5's)

We've been looking at new Stock X5 45e's with many options and were seeing some with EVERYTHING including tow bars.... But basic Hifi.

Looks like we may have to slum it and upgrade at our expense
Some models have the “Pro” audio as the base audio, so it’s not that bad.
I know BMWs tend to have **** audio specifications, but as you said, can always upgrade at your own expense later..

Permabanned
Had a letter forwarded on from the dealer about long delays from VW.

I may have sourced a car earlier, just waiting/hoping the paperwork goes through and can cancel the other one before someone nabs it, if it goes through should be a couple of weeks as its on the way to the dealer. :)

Soldato
Soldato
Had a letter forwarded on from the dealer about long delays from VW.

I may have sourced a car earlier, just waiting/hoping the paperwork goes through and can cancel the other one before someone nabs it, if it goes through should be a couple of weeks as its on the way to the dealer. :)

Most of the VWs will be somewhere in the North Sea by now.

Associate
Ordered a new Octavia at the beginning of April. Looking on various forums I probably don't expect to see it anytime soon. That an the new VW group cars seem to be having a lot of issues with software/parking aids not playing nice, it seems to be a very wrong time to order a new car, I know of colours been cancelled too so if you ordered meteor gray you probably won't get your car :(

Soldato
I ordered an i3 a few months ago and stupidly added harmon/kardon - as a result the car is currently sat at the port with a stop sale notice because it was built without the amp.

I wish they'd just removed it from the spec at this point, there's no ETA for the part at the moment :(

Soldato
Saw a man on a bike advertising VW ID3's as "in stock and ready to go". I think we are being slightly played here :p

From various things I've seen (such as the number of pre-registered ID3s on AutoTrader) the ID3 hasnt been quite the sales success it might appear to be. VW need to sell them for CO2 purposes (to offset Lamborghinis and Bugattis for a start) so they've built plenty. Now they need to shift them...

Permabanned
From various things I've seen (such as the number of pre-registered ID3s on AutoTrader) the ID3 hasnt been quite the sales success it might appear to be. VW need to sell them for CO2 purposes (to offset Lamborghinis and Bugattis for a start) so they've built plenty. Now they need to shift them...

It's cos it looks crud and is too slow. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom