• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which brand CPUs does your company/employer work with?

Man of Honour
That's the NHS's fault for sticking with 32-bit Windows - it can't access any more. Christ, I work in a different bit of the public sector ... even we went 64-bit when Windows 7 launched. A good 10 years ago.
I think that's a bit of a generalisation, there might be some trusts with 32bit Windows kicking about but suspect a lot are on 64bit now, especially given the 1 year grace period on Win7 goes EOL has now expired. meaning many will have upgraed to Win10 (and used that opportunity to certify apps on 64bit).

Soldato
In the NHS we get whatever is left in Dell's historic part bin to otherwise throw away. So essentially core i3 or i5 if lucky but from 3rd to 6th gen cpus..... We mainly lack ram as can't even open a spreadsheet without crazy lag with only 3.5gb registered from 4gb stick.

NHS is upgrading to Win10 at the moment and my own pc was upgraded last month from an old Intel dual core Celeron to a Lenovo Thinkcentre AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3400GE (4C8T) and Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit. It is discontinued on Lenovo's site so I assume our NHS trust bought some older stock for cheap. Some of my colleagues who got their new pc's a couple of month earlier got 6 core Intel i5's. It probably differs from Trust to Trust but I think some are realizing the AMD cpu's are more energy efficient.

Associate
I’ve got some very good ties with Dell so have Dell servers, PC’s and laptops. Historically I’ve always used low powered i3’s as my company uses RemoteApp’s but I’ve started refreshing hardware with i5’s as we start using more and more cloud services including Teams.

Permabanned
OP
Hard to know what point you're making.

LOL look at Intel
or
LOL companies don't replace all their hardware that quickly

To be honest, I don't see any willingness from the majority of the companies to shift away from the slower, and less technologically advanced Intel proposals.
They still buy new Intel systems with low performance and expensive Intel CPUs.

Soldato
A 5yrv old Intel system isn't more expensive than replacing it with a new AMD one. Especially if 99.9% of your staff don't do anything that requires the extra performance.

We've only just replaced a system that was running on Dec Alpha's. It's been running for a quarter of a century.

In a few decades of working in IT there's been very few times I've been able to solve a problem with faster hardware. Usually it's software charge that prompts a change in hardware, or a failure. I have had projects that faster hardware was important. But very rarely.

Soldato
We've replaced all our laptops and desktops across our organisation recently and I'm pretty sure performance never was a consideration. It's whatever hits the price point.

Permabanned
OP
A 5yrv old Intel system isn't more expensive than replacing it with a new AMD one. Especially if 99.9% of your staff don't do anything that requires the extra performance.

We've only just replaced a system that was running on Dec Alpha's. It's been running for a quarter of a century.

In a few decades of working in IT there's been very few times I've been able to solve a problem with faster hardware. Usually it's software charge that prompts a change in hardware, or a failure. I have had projects that faster hardware was important. But very rarely.

We've replaced all our laptops and desktops across our organisation recently and I'm pretty sure performance never was a consideration. It's whatever hits the price point.

If the tables were turned upside down, the narrative would be the opposite - how much the performance actually mattered.
When Intel is competitive - oh, look at the benchmarks.
When Intel has nothing to offer - oh, look, the benchmarks don't matter.

Screw all - the power consumption, heat, noise, lag from slow applications, super high prices, security bugs, etc.

Soldato
If the tables were turned upside down, the narrative would be the opposite - how much the performance actually mattered.
When Intel is competitive - oh, look at the benchmarks.
When Intel has nothing to offer - oh, look, the benchmarks don't matter.

Screw all - the power consumption, heat, noise, lag from slow applications, super high prices, security bugs, etc.

You're seeing conspiracy where none exist.

I bought my first AMD here on OcUK 20 years ago. You think this is new. It isn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
MetOffice, Dell / Intel combo. They hung onto Win XP and finally switched to 7 but only after it had been out for AGES

We switched to W10 and Office 365 and the cloud about 4 months before Covid. It was that that prompted a change of hardware not performance.

We are likely to do another hardware refresh to facilitate hybrid working and hot desking. I think a lot will swap desktops for laptops. People like developers will keep both a laptop and desktop.

Associate
Puget took some time to be convinced, but continuously their own benchmarks showing the superior performance of AMD meant they had to promote their AMD based machines as well strongly, I think that's what their tweet does. I don't know how many workstations they ship in the US, but they have a strong reputation so it's good to see. Intel are always going to be in people minds because of the volume they can ship. Apparently they've sold a lot of tiger lake machines last quarter and they ship more 10nm than 14nm now. I know where I work, Devs will get Dell Machines or Intel based Macs - they don't even need much grunt. But Puget supply big workstations for rendering and content creation and Intel are inferior in those quarters.

Permabanned
OP
You're seeing conspiracy where non exist.

I bought my first AMD here on OcUK 20 years ago. You think this is new. It isn't.

"Conspiracy" is a fabricated term to protect the masses from seeing facts that are not in the interest of the ellite.

I mean this headline:
Intel Doesn’t Want to Talk About Benchmarks Anymore
Intel Doesn't Want to Talk About Benchmarks Anymore - ExtremeTech

Puget took some time to be convinced, but continuously their own benchmarks showing the superior performance of AMD meant they had to promote their AMD based machines as well strongly, I think that's what their tweet does. I don't know how many workstations they ship in the US, but they have a strong reputation so it's good to see. Intel are always going to be in people minds because of the volume they can ship. Apparently they've sold a lot of tiger lake machines last quarter and they ship more 10nm than 14nm now. I know where I work, Devs will get Dell Machines or Intel based Macs - they don't even need much grunt. But Puget supply big workstations for rendering and content creation and Intel are inferior in those quarters.

I am quite sure that AMD has still headroom to sell more CPUs that are not flying fast enough from the shelves.

The consumer DIY market cannot help a lot because the large volumes are in the OEM market.

Soldato
Meh...The people who are interested in top end performance are a tiny % of computer users. So those articles are not pitched at the masses. But a tiny % who are mostly IT literate enough to see through those "articles".

Permabanned
OP

Meh...The people who are interested in top end performance are a tiny % of computer users. So those articles are not pitched at the masses. But a tiny % who are mostly IT literate enough to see through those "articles".

What laptops did you get?
Some slow i3 or i5, that run hot and loud?

Soldato
As it happens they are Ryzen 5 Pro.

But the difference in benchmarks and the Intel equivalent is marginal. Sometimes the AMD is faster sometimes Intel. Not much between them.
Power consumption and heat is more or less the same, intel idles slower.
The only marked different is the integrated GPU on the Ryzen. But since it never used for games, it makes no difference.

But I know they were bought simply because of price alone.

Soldato
TBH if I was looking for a fast enough, energy efficient CPU in a laptop I would get a M1.
But the form factor doesn't suit, software compatibility is an issue. But is primarily the cost kills that dead in our place.

Back
Top Bottom