Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Associate
Sometimes paying on card can be a bit longer than pulling out a £20 note. Checkout man has to enter the amount into the terminal, then you slot in your card and put pin in. Yes contactless is quicker but sometimes depending on your bank, you can only do a few times before they want you to authorise it via chip and pin again.

Associate
I'll personally be glad when cash is dead, christ knows where its been for a start, absolutely hate it. I work retail and the slowest customers whether young or old are cash users. I could have served a handful of people with contactless by the time some customers work out the bloody money especially when paying in change. Worst offenders are the ones that give you a bagful of small change so that I quickly have to add the amount up while a queue forms.

It's ultra rare that I have any cash or coins and I've gone cashless since Apple Pay in the UK launched, thankfully contactless took over extremely quickly in most places and even in my store more than half pay contactless or with a card and pin these days. Without my wallet I'll never loose cash, coins or cards and if I ever get mugged (thankfully I never have so far) at least my bank and all of my money is secure.

Caporegime
If you’ve got a boxful of cash, what’s the best way to get it in your bank without raising any eyebrows?

Supposing I sell a top end guitar for £3000. Could I just stick that in my bank with no questions asked?

Anything less than 5-8k a year non regular payments won't rase eyebrows at most banks.

Does depend on your spending though, if you're regularly moving money through the account on normal activities it will raise less suspicion vs sticking 3k in then immediately buying something big it will flag.

Any purchase over 5k has to be reported too which is why most places won't take more than 5k cash, I think all places that sell "luxury" goods are also expected to be more strict with thier reporting for anti money laundering.

As many will take the hit buy luxury good then sell it on quickly as long as the loss is less than 30% it was cheaper than making it into fake income.

The other option is set yourself up a massage business.

Associate
I'll personally be glad when cash is dead, christ knows where its been for a start, absolutely hate it. I work retail and the slowest customers whether young or old are cash users. I could have served a handful of people with contactless by the time some customers work out the bloody money especially when paying in change. Worst offenders are the ones that give you a bagful of small change so that I quickly have to add the amount up while a queue forms.

It's ultra rare that I have any cash or coins and I've gone cashless since Apple Pay in the UK launched, thankfully contactless took over extremely quickly in most places and even in my store more than half pay contactless or with a card and pin these days. Without my wallet I'll never loose cash, coins or cards and if I ever get mugged (thankfully I never have so far) at least my bank and all of my money is secure.
Only cash or coins for me and not loads in a money bag. If you're talking of about £5 in 20 pences they should be getting that converted at the bank.

Soldato
What on earth are you going on about OP?
There are some things you simply cant use a card and cash is only option?

Launderette
Ice cream vans-Yep can just imagine 5 years olds with their little bank cards buying an ice cream
Funfairs
Random markets-albeit given these are becoming more readily card friendly but you get my point
Pay newspaper delivery man/or woman for those feminists (note im a girl)
Some public toilets where you have to erm "spend a penny"(Pun very much intended)
Bus fair

Soldato
Other things you need cash for. Work collections for a colleague leaving or for a milestone birthday.
Arcade machines

When I was with my ex in Prague, we went to a restaurant. The American couple next to us asked waiter what is pots on the bill for. Waiter pointed out to the salt and pepper pots on the table. They were charged (it was about 50p) because they were on the table. Never used them. We got a menu from another couple to add up what we ordered. Left exactly what we ordered in cash and left. We were flying back home the day after.

Did that in Rome as were charged €3 each for sitting down and €2 each for drinking out of a beer glass!

Man of Honour
Lots of people not declaring their cash earnings then go and buy their shopping with it.

Is it the tax evasion that annoys you, or the fact that they’re buying shopping with cash?
Can you tell the difference between someone who gets paid wages in cash, then goes shopping, and someone who’s an electrician for example and who does private jobs for cash, then goes shopping?

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that most of those taxi drivers aren't declaring 100% of their earnings. That's unfortunately one of the biggest downsides to having a cash society.

Always with the taxi drivers.
Of course it’s illegal not to declare all your cash takings, but if they’re investigated, they’ll get nicked by HMRC, so don’t cry yourself to sleep, thinking that they’re all getting away with it.

I like to have cash - specifically £5 notes - for tips. Massage, restaurants, hairdressers, etc.

No taxi driver tips? Again we suffer! Just kidding Mike.

Associate
People pay with cash because it's easier for them to budget as they can see what they're spending and what they have left. It's more impactful when you're holding a few notes vs numbers on a screen.

Soldato
Is it the tax evasion that annoys you, or the fact that they’re buying shopping with cash?
Can you tell the difference between someone who gets paid wages in cash, then goes shopping, and someone who’s an electrician for example and who does private jobs for cash, then goes shopping?

Always with the taxi drivers.
Of course it’s illegal not to declare all your cash takings, but if they’re investigated, they’ll get nicked by HMRC, so don’t cry yourself to sleep, thinking that they’re all getting away with it.

No taxi driver tips? Again we suffer! Just kidding Mike.

Had to get a black cab in london a couple weeks ago and it was cards all the way including a tip (optional)

Last thing I paid cash for was a birthday card in a shop that prefers cash (no card fees) its a good shop so I don't mind. Card are fine until you lose them so prefer to have a bit on hand just in case.

Man of Honour
What on earth are you going on about OP?
There are some things you simply cant use a card and cash is only option?

Launderette
Ice cream vans-Yep can just imagine 5 years olds with their little bank cards buying an ice cream
Funfairs
Random markets-albeit given these are becoming more readily card friendly but you get my point
Pay newspaper delivery man/or woman for those feminists (note im a girl)
Some public toilets where you have to erm "spend a penny"(Pun very much intended)
Bus fair

Bummer, you were doing so well until you got to “bus fair.”

Associate
Much rather have cash, I lift what I need from a machine and what I have in my wallet is what I have to spend. With a card you can easily do the maths but you're not really grasping what you're spending. As for those who work in retail and complain about cash, well it is your job, deal with it.

Soldato
Guess I'm poor then. I use cash a fair bit lol...

Bakery across my road only takes cash so I have to pay with it.

Always got change laying around the house, it adds up then I use that for food shopping and essentials.

Back
Top Bottom