Road Cycling

Soldato
The best way to keep a chain clean is stripping the factory lube out of it first, that stuff is awful for accumulating dirt. I do that, add lube of choice and then just give it a wipe and re-lube every week or so. I’ll give the cassette a scrub every month or so with some Muc Off and a proper clean off the bike when I replace the chain.

Soldato
YPOsBPN.jpg

Edit: Sorry another question that I can't work out. It says the tyres are tubeless ready - does that mean no innertube or that the wheel is just compatible with tubeless in mind? I suppose the second question is, is that what I'd want? What happens when you get a flat? Are you just SOL?
Think the guys have pretty much got you covered. But just to clarify, 'Tubeless Ready' sometimes/usually doesn't mean chuck some TL tyres on and away you go, the majority of wheels will also need some tubeless rim tape and valves fitting... Although some don't! Some will come with valves, although not fitted if coming with tubes, etc. YMMV.

When you 'flat' with tubeless? What is this nonsense you speak of?! :D ;)

Only happened once to me in a couple of years when I got a big thorn hole on a wheel with old sealant in and it wouldn't seal. I could've just put a tube in and rode home but broke the pump head off inside the valve, then the tube I had had a hole in it. I carry patches so could've got home but only 8 miles away so just called for a lift - as I'd had enough by that point!

Still using the same tyre now and actually noticed it bit low in air on saturday afternoon so put some in. Could hear some hissing of a hole which I'd picked up last time out which wasn't sealing (towards top of tyre). Rotated it to the bottom and apart from the little puddle of sealant on the floor this morning (put another 10 PSI in) it'd sealed. These same tyres are getting a bit old now, have done 8 or 9k miles and a bunch of winters/pot holes! They're the same ones when I had to change the rear wheel I pulled 4-5 blackthorns out of the carcass which had sealed nicely and I'd not even noticed.

I rode tubes for 6 weeks during lockdown and had 3-4 punctures. Really annoying so didn't take me long to go back to Tubeless...

As for your Disk/Rim question and being a new rider. Only you can decide, but personally as the bar is that high price wise these days to get a 'medium' range bike you're silly not to. For 'general' riding anyway. Rims come into their own on more specific requirements and situations... But that's the way they're heading, being a 'niche' product! :o

Oh jeez... here we go :cry:
Lol! Oh how you've learnt @AndyCr15 ! I can remember the days... ;)

How long you visiting my sunny side of the country for? Nice roads? Bit busier around your area than here but probably similar grippy undulating roads. Head South or West for some actual climbs! ;)

I have rim brakes and carbon wheels. With this combination I would go disc next time. With a lead time of next year, I'd find it hard to commit this far in advanced. When do the next season bikes go on sale?

After my crash, my bike is now back in one piece and ready for a test ride. Unfortunately my eye test was cancelled this afternoon so will have to wait even longer for my glasses to be replaced. Also need to buy a good helmet again, what do people think of the more 'aero' helmets? Particularly around cooling? For example: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/MET/Manta-MIPS-Helmet/TH1N?id=1375176
Autumn time is usually when new models come out so current season go on 'sale'. But with inventory levels still so low there's not likely to be many bargains.

Same as @SoliD I actually find my Evade great for airflow, also crazily light and comfortable. But quite a price tag on them! I do have a bit of an odd shaped big head so have generally got on well with Specialized. Less well with Kask and the aero Infinity of theirs I had previously, the ventilation was very poor in comparison to the Specialized.

Actually just picked up a Giro Agilis to use for commuting (1/4 the price of the Specialized) and it seems very 'airy' and similar fit (so should be fine for me) but not ridden in anger with it yet.

Yay that worked! Brilliant site, thanks for that both!

Obviously not the fastest still but work in progress :) Will be focusing on my 30-50km routes for training for a bit but couldnt resist with the good weather

https://www.strava.com/activities/5680486465

tp51MiWh.jpg
tp51MiW.jpg
Mega ride mate, kudos! I've been riding a number of years and not sure if I've done close to 9h?! Maybe only once or twice and same for that distance (100+ miles).

Nice! Bike is looking superb and clean... But you've got greasy fingermarks/drool all over your rims! :cry:;):D

Looking good! Also 10/10 for valve and tyre alignment. Props for that! ;)

Which frame is that? Looks really good in that orange, really pops! Just as good in the sunlight?

Nice one! What an effort :D.

Anyone have recommendations for a backpack. I stupidly use my wife's cheapo backpack, it's my left shoulder that's a bit sensitive (wearing the same backpack around Paris for one day gave me a 1+ year painful shoulder lol) so something with good weight distribution would be great. £50 or less seem reasonable? I only carry an extra bottle of water, keys and snacks in there.
I went through a bunch of cheap ones (well, only maybe 3) before getting a cycling specific one. 25L Deuter Bike One. It's many years old now and has barely worn out so still going strong. Probably this in their range is the comparable one: https://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/bike/bike-1-20/

When I got mine it was £15-20 cheaper than from Wiggle that so towards your budget, they where also on loads of cycling sites. But looking now they're not on very many and Wiggle don't have the full range.

I know Wiggle did their own DHB range of bags which I think went down well. I always liked Ortleib but could never justify the cost.

Soldato
@roadie - thanks for the long post! I'm really torturing myself now. I can't find out until cycle-to-work until mid august and even then it seems any bike I like the look of is out of stock until Feb-March being the earliest.

On one hand that's OK as it means I can sort out getting a few other bits like a bike computer and have all the gear with no idea how to use it when it all comes but just a bit gutted I'm going to have to stick to my track bike through winter. That'll be a fun experience.

I do think I'm going to go disks now. Assuming I go CTW my budget is about ~£3000 for the bike (The one I have my eye on is £2949 so around that would be ideal) Was thinking of getting the ultegra pedals as well as they're fairly cheap when getting with a bike. Plus I've lost one of my SPD pedals so I can't use what I have at the moment!

I know I should do the home-work myself but just wondering if anyone knows of a worthy alternative to this Canyon?

Hopefully the long date changes because there's only so much reading I can do!

But you've got me interested in converting the wheels to tubeless if it's as good as you're suggesting!

Seems that a few road bikes are coming with 28c wheels. I've been using 25c wheels for the last few years, much difference in comfort between the two?

Soldato
I've been having trouble today with my chain slipping when I push big Watts (for me anyway) through the crank. It keeps happening when I'm trying to dart onto a roundabout for example. It happened 3 or 4 times today, the first time I thought perhaps the chain had snapped, the third time the chain came off at the front. I've narrowed it down to being the big ring at the front. When I had it serviced 6 months (3,000 or so miles) back, they replaced the cassette and the chain, but he did make some comment about me being a 'big ring warrior' or something, so clearly he could see wear on the big ring. I combatted it today by trying to remember to drop into the small ring as I approached roundabouts or traffic lights and it then seemed to be fine.

So, can just the ring be replaced, or is it the crank and everything? Looking at it now, it looks like I could have too much oil on the chain. Can that cause it to slip/jump?

Fsvx81Z.jpeg

emkDD9o.jpeg
Big ring is worn, but not totally trashed - the ideal thing to look for is teeth looking very 'shark tooth' like. There are a couple on there getting towards that but not all of them. A LBS will say to change it early, same with any drivechain component (money in their pocket).

As @Jonny ///M says, seeing daylight under the chain means that's worn. It looks like it does need a good clean, give it one and then snap another pic. The price of components at the moment I'd say change the chain and see how it behaves, if it's still dropping/skipping then change the chainring AND cassette so you've changed the whole lot before anything wears.

With worn drivechain components once things get 'worn in' changing anything in isolation will just reduce it's life. The newer things are, the 'tighter' the spacing, but if then used with worn 'loose' spaced components they just stretch quicker to 'fit' into the system.

Changing chains frequently reduces this (as they're the first to 'stretch'), which is why we generally check their 'length' (space between links) with a tool. Usual rule of thumb is to change the cassette every 2-3 chains. I change my chains early and probably overly wear my cassettes and they probably do 5-6 chains (about every 3-4 years). Chainrings you can 'see' the wear on teeth profiles (unlike a cassette), so they don't generally have a 'cycle' of replacement. They're also one of the most expensive so generally you're 'saving' them by replacing the others before they get too worn.

My wife finally got round to finishing the RC7s I bought off @Jonny ///M a few weeks back after a few redesigns! Needless to say I love them! Definitely helped having a plain backdrop for her to work with!

Loads of pics here on Instagram, and one below.

RXV08wn.jpg
They look awesome, really clean and cool 'pro' custom look! :eek::cool:

One day I'll find Goldilocks shoes :o
I thought my Sidi where it, but the Fizik Powerstrap ones I got recently are very close to them, maybe even slightly better!

You think the cassette as well as the chain and chainring! :eek: Damn, doing high mileage is expensive :( I'll probably call my LBS later and see if they can squeeze me in. I have a four day bike trip in 10 days, I'll have to hope they can sort it in time I guess.
I'd change just the chain for your trip and see how it behaves before you go. With it falling off the big ring, it can't get much 'worse'!

3 weeks ago got my LBS to check/bleed my caliper. They 'fitted in' around other jobs as a favour and it was 3 days. But to actually book it in for a complete bleed and hour service it wouldn't have been until 6 weeks after! They're that busy still! :eek:

I can change a rear cassette, it's the chain bit I need to learn. I've not removed the front cranks or anything yet. I have a bit of a history with technical stuff of getting something slightly wrong leading to more problems.

The chain went through one of those chain bath things a couple of times only a week back. I only then dabbed on as I rolled it through once. I think what amazes me is how mush oil comes out of the chain when cleaning. Do most people take it off and leave it to soak in something?

I'm also worried cleaning the cassette as I was told the one reason the freehub went was perhaps cleaning chemicals go in and cleaned out the grease?
If you know enough to change a cassette then you can do a chain. With the right tools the 'hardest' parts are getting it the same length and the routing. Just take pictures of the old one before it's off for that (around pulleys on RD, without any tension on the chain, so comparable when you fit new). For the length, lay the old one on the (clean) ground and the new one alongside, then trim it down to length. At the very worst, 'count' the links!

Cleaning cassettes is one of those things - hard to do without getting degreaser in freehubs/bearings or contaminants on your disk rotors. But you know how 'easy' it is to take a cassette off? Just do that! Take it off and take it apart, then bathe it in degreaser/water/oil and scrub scrub scrub! Just be sure you can get the thing back together correctly. For Shimano series the rings are actually numbered so you can't get them 'wrong', just get the numbers facing outwards and in sequence.

As you're on R8000 then likely the biggest 3 rings are fitted together, then the next 3 the same, then a single ring, a spacer, a ring, a spacer, a ring, a spacer, a ring then the final one which has a lip so doesn't need a spacer. 3 spacers. R7000 I think only has 3 rings fixed together (like previous 105 5800 and Ultegra 6800), so has 5-6 spacers.

The spacers themselves are plastic and can be brittle, they don't need scrubbing, just wash and wipe them down. With the sprockets (cogs) off there is no worry about getting degreaser 'in' anything, they're just metal, so scrub them clean as you can. They'll never look 'new', but the 'road gravy' should come off them a treat. The chain brushes you can get work well - long quite solid bristles to get in the gaps, an old toothbrush is also good for more scrubbing.

I am a Outlaw :)
Congratulations! Well done! How did it go? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to do the same until phones became too big for them.
Yeah I have an 11 Pro Max. Currently I just put it in my backpack which is OK when I am cycling to work with a laptop etc but when I just want to go out for a casual bike ride it's annoying needing to take my bag with my for a phone and few other bits. Was hoping I could find a saddle bag to house a phone, small C02 pump and innertube.

Really don't want my phone on the front but running out of ideas!

Soldato
Yeah I have an 11 Pro Max. Currently I just put it in my backpack which is OK when I am cycling to work with a laptop etc but when I just want to go out for a casual bike ride it's annoying needing to take my bag with my for a phone and few other bits. Was hoping I could find a saddle bag to house a phone, small C02 pump and innertube.

Really don't want my phone on the front but running out of ideas!

They fit fine in proper cycling jerseys.

Soldato
How long you visiting my sunny side of the country for? Nice roads?

Here until Thursday, is the current plan. The roads are generally quite nice, I honestly wonder if Herts is prettier, I'm not sure.

Bit busier around your area than here but probably similar grippy undulating roads. Head South or West for some actual climbs! ;)

I can't lie, I'm quite enjoying the relatively flatness of it all! Someone has already commented to me, get myself over to the west and do some real climbing! I'm in the Lake District in 10 days time... plenty of climbing to deal with then!

I'd change just the chain for your trip and see how it behaves before you go.

Yeah, thanks, I'll try that then (esp as I think the Chainring is out of stock). It's certainly still ridable at the moment, it's only if I'm trying to power out of a junction to avoid traffic, which probably wont be that big an issue on the trip. I'm assuming this or this would be fine?

@AndyCr15 - Whilst looking for a saddle bag I stumbled across you telling a reviewer he had unreasonable requirements to fit a phone in a saddle bag!

Ha ha, yeah, I was looking for a bigger one recently and just thought it very unfair he marked a saddle bag to 1 star (if I remember correctly?) as it didn't fit his phone?! As said, just jersey pocket the phone :)

Soldato
Here until Thursday, is the current plan. The roads are generally quite nice, I honestly wonder if Herts is prettier, I'm not sure.

I can't lie, I'm quite enjoying the relatively flatness of it all! Someone has already commented to me, get myself over to the west and do some real climbing! I'm in the Lake District in 10 days time... plenty of climbing to deal with then!

Yeah, thanks, I'll try that then (esp as I think the Chainring is out of stock). It's certainly still ridable at the moment, it's only if I'm trying to power out of a junction to avoid traffic, which probably wont be that big an issue on the trip. I'm assuming this or this would be fine?

Ha ha, yeah, I was looking for a bigger one recently and just thought it very unfair he marked a saddle bag to 1 star (if I remember correctly?) as it didn't fit his phone?! As said, just jersey pocket the phone :)
Good ride today, how was MULE? It looks a tiny shop compared to what I'm used to! :cry:

You could see if they had any chainrings in stock or any chains you could grab... Or even if they could book in a 30 min slot to change yours for you short notice 'while you're in the area'. They might!

A nice little climb to warm yourself up for the lakes never hurt anyone... Only logical one to do based in Whitchurch would be number 90 - Horseshoe pass - https://www.strava.com/segments/788127

https://cyclinguphill.com/horseshoe-pass/

You know it makes sense - why not see what the 'best' is while you're there... ;)

Agreed, jersey pocket for phone. If in doubt of a poor pocket or big phone then the Castelli gilets have bigger pockets. The Perfetto one I have the pockets are actually really stretchy! Or have a cheap runaround phone for cycling before you bust your screen. I also like and rate Quadlock but you said you didn't want bar mounted...

Phones in saddlebags is asking for a scratched/broken screen! :o :(

Soldato
Good ride today, how was MULE?

Thanks, it was a nice enough stop. Did a nice coffee, my mum drove out to meet me for coffee and cake :). It's interesting, yesterdays ride I was (unintentionally) pushing the pace a little and really paid for it in the last 10 miles and for the rest of the day. It had me really worried about the upcoming trip and how I would cope. Today, only 6 miles less, but made myself keep a steady pace and I feel fine. Strava really knows when it scored yesterday 190 something RE and today 100 RE. I need some kind of alarm when I go over 250W.

You could see if they had any chainrings in stock or any chains you could grab...

Yeah, I did ask, they would have to order in though they said. They may well have had a chain mind you...

Only logical one to do based in Whitchurch would be number 90 - Horseshoe pass - https://www.strava.com/segments/788127

I might have to see about heading out to it. Don't know about this trip now, but perhaps plan it in for next time :). (Tomorrow looks very wet all day, I don't know if I'll venture out)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Congratulations! Well done! How did it go? :D

Well its done and dusted, my first full distance completed Nottingham Outlaw total time of 14:43 my Main goal was under 15hrs the top goal was to get under 14 and the nice to have in the 13hrs something.

Swim 1:29
Bike 6:27mins
Run 6:17

Now the Story…
slight_smile.png
The swim went bang onto plan well 1 min quicker, not swimming much due to covid and then getting hit by a car 4 weeks before the day shattered my swim confidence the longest swim I have done before this was about 1.5miles so I thought why risk blowing up.

The bike … Disaster mile one and the first shift the front mech exploded apart the little plastic bit that sits in the front of SRAM just went, causing it to drag onto the chainring and then bugger up the entire thing, a dirty repair that took 15 mins and forced me to do the entire bike leg in the big ring, the repair then broke so another 15mins lost then every-time I missed avoiding a bump the chain jumped off. So with all that I probably pushed too hard to regain time as I think i was capable of a sub 6 hr bike thanks to trainer road and the past 8months.

The run… OMG that run the first 15k I felt Ok, slow but moving forward then the thigh/quads decided enough was enough and I paid the price for overdoing it on the bike leg I think, It was hot and humid (for UK standards it was positively barmy & tropical) and the run became run-walk then a walk-walk-run-walk etc. I then hit upon the idea of using the lake and river markers as run-walk goals but the damage was done time from my legs and walking gave me blisters.

I am happy with that as turned 50 this year.

(copied from the post i made in the TR forum, as lazy)

Soldato
That sounds absolutely horrific luck! Most people would have given up so massive kudos to continuing and plugging on through to the end! Resilience and mental strength is something you can't ever train!

Soldato
Looking good! Also 10/10 for valve and tyre alignment. Props for that! ;)

Which frame is that? Looks really good in that orange, really pops! Just as good in the sunlight?

Cheers :) It's a 2018 Orbea Orca, the cheaper (OME?) one. It's like a satin finish with glossy stickers.

Got a bit of a cleaner/better picture today. I swear the labels on these tyres are out of whack! They're pretty good at the valve side and they're off on the other side I reckon.

AbvpYJU.jpg

Back
Top Bottom