What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I think having had this evening to reflect after reading these I may well have my ideal 3 watch collection already. Sure I'd like a Grand Seiko (still), but it's not something that I'd consider in a 3 forever watch collection if that makes sense?
Been looking at them myself and if I ignore the fact I have more than 3 watches, when I eventually get my next watch (it's literally just come out so like to wait a while to make sure) I've got a three watch collection that I'd be fairly happy with if that's all I could have and I'd have change from 5k lol.

Do you mean that you'd like to try one but you're pretty sure you'll sell it on?
Probably similar thoughts as me, they do some nice looking watches but they're just not at the top of my list in terms of wanting to buy them.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think so.I liken it to the OG Pelagos I had. Was amazing, still is amazing really and to this day no other diver appeals as much as that watch did. But I couldn't connect with it the same way I am with the Hamilton Khaki Pilot or Stowa for example. If/when I ever do get a GS then it's almost certainly going to be from the Heritage line. But I can't say if it will be something I keep forever. The GS models I really like are the exclusive Japan only ones, or limited editions that rarely reach the hands of normal folk at any reasonable price point. So that's me out :p

I guess the simplest way to put it is I now like watches that are easy to purchase, are unique enough to look/feel special and if they have some historical significance then that seals the deal.

Soldato
Entirely understood. I thought the same when I got my first, an SBGA041. Even tried to sell it a few times, but then acquired two more (SBGA105 and SBGE001) thereby breaking my 'rule' of not buying another until it sold.

It's now still with me whilst the other two having gone, and I'm extremely pleased it didn't sell when I tried before. I'd only chop it in for a very specific old branding GS: the tatame dial SBGA109.

So it's a nigh-definite keeper, but almost wasn't!

Soldato
I think GS is a class in its own right with the Spring Drive. I'd love to add a ********* to the collection.

Edit: Lol, snow-flake.

I'm a big fan of the SD, not interested in their other movements (yet), but I do occasionally find myself considering their Quartz GMTs.
I do wish they'd get the independent hour hand for non-GMT SD movements too (ignoring their super spendy 9R01 manual drive fancy ones), so that you can take advantage of the daftly good accuracy.

Edit: Actually, I find it really hard to get past the non-Seiko branding on the newer ones, so the availability of a movement like that likely wouldn't influence my purchasing in future anyway.

Soldato
Can you buy cheaper perpetual calendar watches £100 or less?
Depends how much detail you want from you 'perpetual calendar' - you can find Seikos that are perpetual but only show the numerical date within a month (i.e. date only), but I'd be surprised if there's one with the numerical date, day, month, year, leap year etc. under that amount.

Soldato
Suede makes for a poor (sweaty) material for a watch strap. I'm going to try and find a vintage tropical.

pxl_20210728_181939813_2_by_saiper_deo5hku-pre.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Joseph Bonnie vulcanised rubber tropic in olive colour like I had on the Baltic. That will suit the FF to a perfect T. Get to it stat. It's also cheaper and better shaped with a more vintage buckle than the other tropics out there inc the official Tropic brand one and has curved lug ends that suit the watch case better.

Also, jealous of that Fathons.

Soldato
Joseph Bonnie vulcanised rubber tropic in olive colour like I had on the Baltic. That will suit the FF to a perfect T. Get to it stat. It's also cheaper and better shaped with a more vintage buckle than the other tropics out there inc the official Tropic brand one and has curved lug ends that suit the watch case better.

Also, jealous of that Fathons.

Cheers for the recommendation. That sounds perfect.

Caporegime
First cost £80 and the other £500.. I would choose the first every time, because the other looks very plain, plus you want others to notice....

The Bulova looks far nicer and more elegant than the Lorus (the gold/bronze trim on the Lorus looks cheap and nasty, ugh).

I dont get it,, why pay stupid money for a plain looking watch...... I have both,, well my sister has just given me the other watch, but I dont think I'll wear it much.

If I had the money to splash about.. I would buy something like this and this is only £300 or just over
LvUkPhd.png
I know we all have different tastes, but if I was being objective I find the watches you see saying look good are very cheap and tacky looking. Full gold is a really 80s/90s style and just looks naff... especially when it's not even real gold! :(

Can you buy cheaper perpetual calendar watches £100 or less?

Digital watches of course, but if you were lucky you may get a used Quartz PerpCal for that price too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom