German Doner Kebab

Associate
OP
We have one of these local, really good quality for doner kebab, the 'boss box' as a lazy evening Deliveroo order is hard to beat

I work in Reading so that's how I get mine delivered.

There are only a few reasons to ever be in Reading.... the local branch of German Doner is one of those!!

Whatever else you order, be sure to include half a dozen of their spring rolls!!

Yes that's my lunch time treat placed an order last week Friday and four guys jumped in on my order but only one chap actually paid me back:mad:

Got a branch now in High Wycombe and another in Slough...lovely great to have a port in a storm.

Soldato
There's two near me I think. Always knew they were 'gourmet' so was going to check them out for a cheeky lunch stop. Any idea what their meat sourcing is like? All they say is imported from Germany... can't see my fussy girlfriend getting involved in that..

Associate
OP
"These meats are imported directly from Germany to maintain quality and consistency. We only use fresh, locally produced vegetables that are delivered and prepared daily along with our special "Doner Kebab" bread"

Soldato
Not sure I could get in the mood for a doner kebab unless it's 2am and I'm plastered.

This is the difference, these are actually nice, not chopped up eyes and ********* that you need to be wasted to consider eating.

Kebabs can actually be nice food, it's just as a culture we've pigeonholed them as only cheap crap covered in half a bottle of chilli sauce that you eat half of then throw at the shop window because you're drunk.

Soldato
Kebabs can actually be nice food, it's just as a culture we've pigeonholed them as only cheap crap covered in half a bottle of chilli sauce that you eat half of then throw at the shop window because you're drunk.

Kebabs are my guilty pleasure and the ones from my local takeaway are fantastic. The chicken and lamb is marinated just right and they grill it to perfection so it's still juice but nicely charred on the outside. Without a doubt my favourite takeaway.

Associate
Better than your standard UK offering but the one I went to in Finsbury Park wasn't a patch on anyone of the 20 you'd get from the Turkish places on Green Lanes around the corner.

Soldato
You can still get a taste they do a Vegan version.

I know that but veggie stuff while nice, it's not the same as meat, it's just different, I've tried loads of vegan Kebab type "meats" all very nice in their own right but they're not Kebab meat, I believe it's down to the fat being absent, makes a whole lot of difference in both taste and texture

Soldato
The wife went to a German Doner the other day for one of their meal deals and said that the kebab was good, but the chips and spring rolls were just greasy. Given the number of Greek/Turkish/Lebanese places around me that are really good, I think you're better off finding a nearby small kebab place that cooks good Mediterranean style grilled meat, and going there rather than a fairly average chain.

Associate
OP
I think that the German Kebab are not trying to be like the Greek, Turkish and Lebanese places -don't get me started on a Lebanese breakfast yummy.
I think they are trying to market themselves as a kind of fast food gourmet cuisine. If I pop out lunch time I could order a Mikey D, Burger King or a German Donner. If I wanted a Turkish, Lebanese or Greek then I would be sitting down to eat that's the niche market they are after.

Soldato
I think that the German Kebab are not trying to be like the Greek, Turkish and Lebanese places
They are different - According to ze Germanz here at work, doner kebabs are almost as popular in Germany as they are here, but they do them very differently, which is why German Doner has been so successful.
We have a Bierhaus here too, which is absolutely awesome food and mostly authentic... but not somewhere you want to go unless you've not eaten for a week and don't plan on eating again until next month!!!

Soldato
I think that the German Kebab are not trying to be like the Greek, Turkish and Lebanese places -don't get me started on a Lebanese breakfast yummy.
I think they are trying to market themselves as a kind of fast food gourmet cuisine. If I pop out lunch time I could order a Mikey D, Burger King or a German Donner. If I wanted a Turkish, Lebanese or Greek then I would be sitting down to eat that's the niche market they are after.

Loads of the non-chain grilled meat places do takeaways too. You don't have to sit down and have the full restaurant experience, they are happy to sell you food in a box. It seems a no brainer to me to support the small local businesses that give you better food rather than a chain.

Back
Top Bottom