Significant incident Plymouth

Commissario
Since when were handguns 'banned' in the UK?

Gun licensing in the UK does not default to yes, we are not a 'Shall Issue' location in any way.
For shotguns, if you want a certificate, the police have to have a good reason to deny it so in fact we really are a 'shall issue' location.

Unless you want a shotgun that can hold more than three cartridges and then they have to go on a Firearms certificate. My Remington 11 Competition Master can hold eight cartridges and is semi automatic so it's specifically listed on my FAC.

Soldato
People had massive private collections taken away back in those days. Real historic stuff. Real shame.

The only thing I'll say about guns, is that it makes it too easy to do something stupid.

Soldato
People had massive private collections taken away back in those days. Real historic stuff. Real shame.

The only thing I'll say about guns, is that it makes it too easy to do something stupid.

Yes and effectively finished our Olympic shooters. The real debate we need to have is how much freedom are we prepared to give up for 100% safety?

Bans on the law abiding is effectively the Minority Report option. Take away legal rights in case you may be guilty of a future crime. Where does that take us? Labelled as potentially dangerous by association to a particular group. I don't like the sound of that...

Caporegime

Yeah, it’s easier to shoot someone than to stab them. Stabbing is very personal and gruesome. I dont think I could ever bring myself to stab someone, even in self defence, but I’d pop them straight in the head no probs if I felt my life was in danger.

Man of Honour
Incorrect. They were moved to section 5 and 7, but very much not ''banned''. You might be surprised how many people legally possess them.

Which is effectively a ban as very few will have reasonable grounds to have them on their firearms certificate.

Commissario
Incorrect. They were moved to section 5 and 7, but very much not ''banned''. You might be surprised how many people legally possess them.
To all intents and purposes, they’re banned. Holding Section 5 firearms is practically impossible for an average member of the public. I have air cartridge revolvers that are Section 5 but were grandfathered into Section 1.

I don’t believe any true Section 5 firearms are allowed to be stored at home and there are very few ranges or dealers who are allowed to even touch them.

Section 7 is a bit different due to the age and the calibre.

Of course black powder revolvers are section 1 (and make a fantastic boom)

Soldato

I should know I had to hand mine in. No-one sport shooting gets a Section 5, if anyone does you won't know about it as they likely work for the security services. The only exception is RFD's but again they aren't sport shooting at clubs as the range won't be covered for Section 5 firearms. Section 7 is very niche, again to use them you'll need an approved range.

"Section 7 purpose
was established primarily for the purpose of the preservation, collecting, demonstration, research and study of pistols of historic or heritage interest. Pistols held under section 7.3 may be used at the sites of storage for these purposes alone, and not for competitive target shooting."

Soldato
To all intents and purposes, they’re banned. Holding Section 5 firearms is practically impossible for an average member of the public. I have air cartridge revolvers that are Section 5 but were grandfathered into Section 1.

I don’t believe any true Section 5 firearms are allowed to be stored at home and there are very few ranges or dealers who are allowed to even touch them.

Exactly. I know one Section 5 dealer and he's been in the game a very long time. Everyone I know was a pistol shooter, if there had been a way to retain them they would have. As it was they spent the compensation and bought more rifles. One, a dealer bought the house next door and knocked it through on the proceeds!

Soldato
That's incredibly pedantic. If you're going to say they aren't banned, then neither is cyanide, cocaine, heroin, machine guns and rocket launchers.

Soldato
I should know I had to hand mine in. No-one sport shooting gets a Section 5, if anyone does you won't know about it as they likely work for the security services. The only exception is RFD's but again they aren't sport shooting at clubs as the range won't be covered for Section 5 firearms. Section 7 is very niche, again to use them you'll need an approved range.

"Section 7 purpose
was established primarily for the purpose of the preservation, collecting, demonstration, research and study of pistols of historic or heritage interest. Pistols held under section 7.3 may be used at the sites of storage for these purposes alone, and not for competitive target shooting."

Absolute rubbish....there are a hell of a lot of humane dispatch pistols registered to recreational and professional stalkers currently, both self loading and revolvers in varying calibres.
Yes, they're harder to get, but the point I'm making is there ARE pistols in private ownership and they have not been used in mass shootings, as the person I was originally replying to was alluding.

Soldato
So under these sections, is there any way at all a member of the public could own something like a fully functional Desert Eagle?

They are generally granted with restricted magazines (although not exclusively, force dependent) and highly unlikely you'd be given an unnecessarily large calibre, more than is sufficient for the intended purpose. Really not all that much more difficult to obtain than section 1, if you can demonstrate the need for one.

Caporegime
They are generally granted with restricted magazines (although not exclusively, force dependent) and highly unlikely you'd be given an unnecessarily large calibre, more than is sufficient for the intended purpose. Really not all that much more difficult to obtain than section 1, if you can demonstrate the need for one.
The only reason I’d have is for looking cool. I don’t think the police would accept that.

Soldato
Absolute rubbish....there are a hell of a lot of humane dispatch pistols registered to recreational and professional stalkers currently, both self loading and revolvers in varying calibres.
Yes, they're harder to get, but the point I'm making is there ARE pistols in private ownership and they have not been used in mass shootings, as the person I was originally replying to was alluding.

You do realise they are only 2 shot? Hence no preban revolvers or pistols were "transferred".

Soldato
The only reason I’d have is for looking cool. I don’t think the police would accept that.

Lol, with all due respect once you're familiar with firearms they are about as cool as holding a power drill! If they don't put holes in the 10 ring I'm not interested, assuming I do my bit

Soldato
@Feek-Admin What FAC licence would you need to own a hand gun? Because I thought that was impossible! I belonged to a gun club years ago and the owner had a Glock 17 9mm which he carried around in a holster. He had a long career in the military in the Parachute Regiment as a sniper and some other stuff which he wouldn't divulge in.

Soldato
@Feek-Admin What FAC licence would you need to own a hand gun? Because I thought that was impossible! I belonged to a gun club years ago and the owner had a Glock 17 9mm which he carried around in a holster. He had a long career in the military in the Parachute Regiment as a sniper and some other stuff which he wouldn't divulge in.

You're not getting one in the UK, excluding NI. I used to have a Model 23C Glock, zero possibility of owning one now. It was absolutely reliable though, great in competitions despite being a "plastic" gun :cry:

Back
Top Bottom