Richmond sausages

Caporegime
Why do people buy these awful things? When they are on offer, customers buy loads of them.

Richmond pork sausages contain the minimum amount of pork to be classed as a pork sausage - 42%, so 58% is rusk and other things.

If you eat sausages, do you buy low meat sausages such as Richmond or the high (85%+) meat content?

It's a self contained sandwich!!
Meat and carbs

Man of Honour
We don't really eat pork anymore unless it comes on something like a pizza. Chicken sausages are frankly superior, try them if you haven't.

chipolatas

Always reminds me of a few years ago when - while paying for my Subway order - I heard the woman behind me in the queue ask for "some of that chipolata sauce"... Referring to the chipotle sauce :o

:edit: so I did a Google and found this :eek:

How does one pronounce Chipotle? I think I've spent my life asking for Chipolata. :/

Caporegime
The perfect meat content for a sausage is between 70-79%. You might think the more meat the better, but it’s a marketing trick to get you to pay more than you should. Too much meat means not enough rusk, leading to a sausage that falls apart too easy, and has an unpleasant texture compared to the lower pork content one. Also less rusk means less fat is absorbed into the sausage leading to a dry sausage compared with a nice juicy breakfast banger.
This, 99% meat sausages are such a horrible texture.

My favourite in terms of bang(er) for buck are the standard Sainsburys one (Butcher's Choice?) or any of the (non-chicken, blergh) Tesco Finest range.

Soldato
I’m surprised so many of you don’t just go to your local butcher and get them there.

I’ve tried and failed to make them with the attachment for the kitchen aid but it’s never as good.

Soldato
I’m surprised so many of you don’t just go to your local butcher and get them there.

I’ve tried and failed to make them with the attachment for the kitchen aid but it’s never as good.

Caporegime
This, 99% meat sausages are such a horrible texture.

My favourite in terms of bang(er) for buck are the standard Sainsburys one (Butcher's Choice?) or any of the (non-chicken, blergh) Tesco Finest range.
Sainsbury’s butchers choice are very nice. I always go for the ones with names like butchers choice or butchers selection. They’re simply the classic juicy banger that a sausage is supposed to be.

Caporegime

Sorry to burst your bubble but high street butchers sausages these days are often very low meat content. The profit margin isn’t there for them to produce high meat content sausages, and if they do, they’re very expensive and still suffer from the texture/dryness problem.

Soldato
Sorry to burst your bubble but high street butchers sausages these days are often very low meat content. The profit margin isn’t there for them to produce high meat content sausages, and if they do, they’re very expensive and still suffer from the texture/dryness problem.

Let’s not bundle all butchers under the same umbrella.

I just went onto their site to see if it had the meat content just says from their own breed, outdoor reared pork and simple blend.

their pork and sage won a great taste award but I’m not a fan of them.

Soldato
I know technically higher percentage meat sausages aren't supposed to be as good but I regularly eat the 97% Heck sausages and really like them, very meaty taste and quite a nice texture, in no way dry. I often have them with veg, mash and gravy.

Yeah, I like Hecks. Also Black Farmer. They're also 90%+ and great sausages.

Associate
I don't think I've ever had a Richmond sausage. Tesco Finest Lincolnshire sausages are my go to, served with chips and beans.

My sister mentioned years ago that she preferred cheap, low-quality sausages.

Soldato
I tried the new meat free richmand sausages, there not great as bit squishy the inside so not solid enough, the outside wasnt too bad. Bought 2 packs, one left in freezer, might cook em longer so go darker than i did em before, might taste better but doubt it, i cooked em and put em with some ready made tesco mash and put gravy on for a quick saus and mash meal, id probs prefer proper sausges tho even their own brand proper sausage than the meat free one.

Associate
Not a sausage fan, but the Sainsburys basic ones are alright. I've tried a few of the premium ones, they just end up being too herby or dry. Richmond thins are pretty nice for some unhealthy type snack, and that's the kind of target market i guess.

Back
Top Bottom