Best Amiga game ever?

Permabanned
semi-pro waster said:
Are we thinking of the same machine? Yeah pretty much any game you could get on the Amiga was available on the ST also, the sound chip was used by a lot of musicians, in fact the ST kicked off a lot of home recording because of the fact that it had a midi port. I have not a clue about any design flaws in the graphics chip on the ST or otherwise, in fact but for the fact that my floppy drive died I'd probably still be playing it. :)

This is what I mean about Amiga owners being the enemy, propoganda all the way :p

No way, no way EVER where all the games released on the Amiga released on the ST!!! EVER!!

Yes, the Atari ST. Exactly the samy Yamaha chip as the Amstrad. The sound chip WASNT used by musicians, but the built in MIDI port was, and so were the attached Synths and Modules.... Beleive me, no-one in their right mind would use the sound chip on the ST.... It had three channels, one left, one right, and one middle. Compare that against the 4 channel stereo of the Amiga, with the ability to play 8-bit samples indepent of the CPU.... And you start to get the picture.

The graphics chip on the ST was desgined to equal the chip on the Amiga. However on production there was a design flaw found in the chip, and they all had to be downgraded. Hence the reason you have a border, and only 512 colours instead of 4096....

Either way the ST became specialized for musicians because of the MIDI port. Everything else went the Amiga's way (Including Video editing...). Not propoganda, all based on facts...

Oh, BTW I initially bought an ST for £300 just when they came out. Then there was a memory shortage and Atari had to put their price up to £400, just as Commodore released the Amiga 500 and reduced the price to £400.

So I sold my ST for £380... (it had a couple of games), and bought an Amiga...

I remember opening up the ST and scratching "peice of ****" on the metal casing...... I wonder if anyone ever read that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Interesting stuff, I wasn't aware of most of that(I was maybe 8 at the time) but I think you are wrong about the amount released on the respective platforms, most big games seemed to be released on both from what I can recall. The propoganda comment was just meant as a joke :)

You should probably edit out the swearing though, even disguised isn't allowed.

Soldato
If I remember correctly the Amiga's strength was that, regardless of the relatively modest cpu power, the custom chips were superb. Angus (Address GeNerator Unites), Paula and Denise all worked to releave the cpu of an awful lot of work. Coupled with a strong Copper (co-processor) and Blitter built into Angus meant that the Amiga was capable of shifting a lot of stuff around on screen all at once. This made it ideal for the games of the late 80s and early 90s. What the Amiga wasn't suited for was processing and pushing lots of 3d textured polygons and this is (arguably) what led to it's demise in the onslaught from the PC.

Permabanned
And it was originally going to be the Atari Amiga... Except the deal fell through... Hence the mess the ST ended up in. Amiga then went to commodore who built the machine. Atari had to throw something together... And it shows.

Soldato
I had the Amiga A1200

My favourite games were Theme Park and Syndicate.

I also played

Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Pinball Fantasies
Pinball Dreams
Pinball Illusions
Lemmings
Lemmings 2 The Tribes
Plus many more

Soldato
will never forget being in primary school and seeing lemmings for the first time, only one kid was playing it during break time ( he probably owned it i guess ) and it killed me not being allowed to have a go. I bought most of the lemmings games later on and loved them at the time

Soldato
I must admit I was always a little upset about not having the Amiga or Atari computers, as some of the games were truly great on them. I had ORIC, Amstrad CPC6128 (disk version), then went to PC's.

Speedball2 or Chaos Engine.
anything by the bitmap brothers was always amazing.

Thing is, which of these games were Amiga exclusives, as many were playable on PC as well?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Mercenary.
Elite Frontier.

+

Pools of Radiance
Eye of the Beholder

And pretty much anything I could get my hands on in terms of RPGs

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Paradroid springs to mind as well, the joy of getting a 999 Droid and stomping, got bloody hard though.

Edit that might have been a C64 game actually... God i am old.

Associate
My favourite system of all time the Amiga. if I had to choose one game it has to be Stunt Car Racer, me and mate set up a local LAN connection and it was awesome fun. Speedball 2 comes a close 2nd though!

Back
Top Bottom