Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
https://news.sky.com/story/plymouth-shooting-medical-checks-to-be-required-for-gun-licence-applicants-says-home-secretary-12384588?fbclid=IwAR39VZ4XiZp28fO-ZX38P_2dsUjuO_ygpPsKgb9KiP8XpsCy6lZOLYaJqdE

Again, I’m amazed that this doesn’t already happen. But it’s good news that medical advice will need to be considered before a licence is approved.

Ideally this would be retrospective but unfortunately we don’t have the capacity for that. But any extra checks to ensure legal guns don’t get into the hands of those who shouldn’t have them is a good thing IMO.

Man of Honour
https://news.sky.com/story/plymouth...O-ZX38P_2dsUjuO_ygpPsKgb9KiP8XpsCy6lZOLYaJqdE

Again, I’m amazed that this doesn’t already happen. But it’s good news that medical advice will need to be considered before a licence is approved.

Ideally this would be retrospective but unfortunately we don’t have the capacity for that. But any extra checks to ensure legal guns don’t get into the hands of those who shouldn’t have them is a good thing IMO.

I thought there already was a degree of this involved - but shotgun licensing could probably do with a bit of tightening up in that respect.

Soldato
It’s really simple. Every FAC holder has 6 months to get a form signed they downloadby their GP stating that they have no medical reason to disqualify them from holding said FAC.

GP gets to charge £20 for the visit.

Everybody wins.

Commissario
.. and the rest. Mine charged me £45 just to say I'd never used the prescription that was issued to me.

Even then, they wouldn't commit to a real answer.

This is how the letter from the surgery ended

"As for your question “would you consider there is any impairment to him in possession of a firearm?” I am unable to answer that question since in the previous paragraph you have mentioned that our opinion regarding firearms is not necessary and I would agree with that comment since I am not able to give other than factual medical information for this gentleman."

There is a really informative 50 minute documentary on BBC iPlayer on Incels if anyone is interested.

Think it's called Inside the Secret World of Incels.

The interviewer follows 3 different guys who have different views on what it means to be an Incel.

He does a really good job of challenging 2 of the guys opinions.

I highly recommend it.

Soldato
It’s really simple. Every FAC holder has 6 months to get a form signed they downloadby their GP stating that they have no medical reason to disqualify them from holding said FAC.

Everybody wins.

6 months is not nearly enough time, there's almost 600,000 certificate holders out there. It would also place a significant burden on police forces having to process a bulk of applications in a short time, then go and confiscate the thousands of firearms which are not legally held after that end date. Unfortunately the more realistic solution is to add criteria/requirements to the existing application/renewal process.

Soldato
I see they are going to change gun laws a bit
https://news.sky.com/story/plymouth...O-ZX38P_2dsUjuO_ygpPsKgb9KiP8XpsCy6lZOLYaJqdE

I thought it was, when i was trying for a licence and was a member of a shooting club back in about 2008 i was told that i may never get a licence due to a short stint of depression that is on my medical records. I gave up in the end the whole process put me off

Soldato

Everybody wins.

It spawns the conflict of interest whereby someone wanting to own a shotgun or FAC item is obliged to never discuss issues that might disqualify them to their GP.

Just like this sentiment:

I thought it was, when i was trying for a licence and was a member of a shooting club back in about 2008 i was told that i may never get a licence due to a short stint of depression that is on my medical records. I gave up in the end the whole process put me off

Soldato
I see they are going to change gun laws a bit

It's largely ridiculous in this day and age. Surely the public would favour issuing licences to those who have recognised their ill mental health and received a complete treatment, rather than risking it with the no doubt, many, who have ignored it and never been to a GP. I'd be highly surprised if there were any people who hadn't been through some sort depression, diagnosed or not, in their lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom