The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Pathfinder - Kingmaker
Had it sat in my steam games for over 2 years, think I got it as part of some bundle at some point but after playing it I wished I had tried it sooner. really good rpg that has enough to it to suck time away as it's constantly keeping you busy and I managed to finish it just in time as it's sequel is due early september so I will be buying that.

Soldato
Bordlerands 2. 9.5/10 TBH.

161 hours on record, I reckon 130-140 of those is my solo playthrough. I can't remember the last time I put 100 hours into a game. Fallout 3 comes to mind but I played it offline in 2016 so the Steam counter is off.

As more of an RPG/adventure person than a FPS player, this perfectly straddled them. Weapons/equipment system, stats, skill tree and growth were all deep but accessible. Really fun to play around with different weapon types and build a versatile setup.

Plot was good but not arduous, just a few periodic dialogue/cutscenes with lots and lots of incidental comments and jokes during gameplay. Definitely had a few thrilling moments and shocks to pull you in.

Graphics - well, it's a semi cartoon/cel shaded style in a 3D world. Tried it at 1080p and 4k depending on desired FPS and it always looked about the same - just a side effect of being almost 10 years old I guess, upping resolution doesn't improve much. I think the world and style were brilliantly put together, especially with all the varying regions of the planet as you progress.

Basic gameplay was good - run, shoot, jump, that's about it really. Simple but functional and fast paced. Occasional glitches like slipping off ledges or clipping walls but generally fine and enjoyable.

I really did get sucked into this - started out trying to make sure I had time for one session a week, but as the plot built momentum I ended up putting time in nightly until I finished it. There were literally 3 or 4 moments I figured I was on the final mission strand and then a new map area would open up and I'd realise it was far from over. The game is HUGE!

I had lots of fun but really don't think I'll go back for a new run with different character or NG+ style True Vault Hunter Mode. I just take too long with all the looting and shooting and exploring and sidequests and deciding which guns to keep :D

Genuinely one of the all-round best experiences I've had with a single game in years.

A few negatives - save/reload points are a little too far apart. Enemies respawn on loading a new game so if you spent an hour or more clearing an area and are near the end of a mission, you're stuck either playing longer than anticipated, or doing it all again next time. Would have helped it there was a plot tracker or dialogue... Log... To help remember exactly what was going on in the story. The game was also reasonably harsh with forcing you to sell stuff as your backpack and storage are quite small - a bugbear of mine as I like to explore and hoard everything!

Caporegime
Bordlerands 2. 9.5/10 TBH.

161 hours on record, I reckon 130-140 of those is my solo playthrough. I can't remember the last time I put 100 hours into a game. Fallout 3 comes to mind but I played it offline in 2016 so the Steam counter is off.

As more of an RPG/adventure person than a FPS player, this perfectly straddled them. Weapons/equipment system, stats, skill tree and growth were all deep but accessible. Really fun to play around with different weapon types and build a versatile setup.

Plot was good but not arduous, just a few periodic dialogue/cutscenes with lots and lots of incidental comments and jokes during gameplay. Definitely had a few thrilling moments and shocks to pull you in.

Graphics - well, it's a semi cartoon/cel shaded style in a 3D world. Tried it at 1080p and 4k depending on desired FPS and it always looked about the same - just a side effect of being almost 10 years old I guess, upping resolution doesn't improve much. I think the world and style were brilliantly put together, especially with all the varying regions of the planet as you progress.

Basic gameplay was good - run, shoot, jump, that's about it really. Simple but functional and fast paced. Occasional glitches like slipping off ledges or clipping walls but generally fine and enjoyable.

I really did get sucked into this - started out trying to make sure I had time for one session a week, but as the plot built momentum I ended up putting time in nightly until I finished it. There were literally 3 or 4 moments I figured I was on the final mission strand and then a new map area would open up and I'd realise it was far from over. The game is HUGE!

I had lots of fun but really don't think I'll go back for a new run with different character or NG+ style True Vault Hunter Mode. I just take too long with all the looting and shooting and exploring and sidequests and deciding which guns to keep :D

Genuinely one of the all-round best experiences I've had with a single game in years.

A few negatives - save/reload points are a little too far apart. Enemies respawn on loading a new game so if you spent an hour or more clearing an area and are near the end of a mission, you're stuck either playing longer than anticipated, or doing it all again next time. Would have helped it there was a plot tracker or dialogue... Log... To help remember exactly what was going on in the story. The game was also reasonably harsh with forcing you to sell stuff as your backpack and storage are quite small - a bugbear of mine as I like to explore and hoard everything!
Have you played BL3 yet? If not would be interesting to get your take on that coming right after finishing BL2.

For the record, BL2 is one of my favourite games in recent memory. But BL3 for me didn't hit the same notes, and was sadly rather disappointing.

Associate
The last game I completed a story on was DOOM (2016).

666/10

I was originally hesitant about whether for not they'd treat it right (being a Doomer since about 4 years old) and was worried it'd be too codlike. They did it justice, very Doom, glory kills are satisfying, especially after a bad work day :cry: still need to complete Doom Eternal though, it's actually quite hard on UV...

ne0

ne0

Associate
Outriders 9/10

Honestly this one really took me by surprise. I played the demo before release and was underwhelmed, basicially dismissed it as a Gears wannabe. Then I sat and watched the **** show unfold on release with all the technical issues.

After it all calmed down I got intrigued and decided to give it a proper go and my word... I haven't enjoyed a game as much as this in a looooong time. Absolutely loved the story, the setting, the atmosphere, combat, effects (exploding enemies never got old) and really enjoyed hooking up with randoms to pop alien heads in lush enviroments.

Really really great game and I fully intend to go back and do more side missions and end game stuff once I've crossed a few more games off my backlog. Already got over 50 hours in it but I will definitely be back, it's just awesome IMHO.

Soldato
Have you played BL3 yet? If not would be interesting to get your take on that coming right after finishing BL2.

For the record, BL2 is one of my favourite games in recent memory. But BL3 for me didn't hit the same notes, and was sadly rather disappointing.
I haven't, I tend to play things quite late after release because I'm a cheapskate. But I've heard BL3 is poorly optimised and I can see how it'd be hard to improve on BL2. It was kind of an amazing setup - BL1 was a surprise hit so they got a big budget increase, and hired a proper professional writer for the sequel. And that writer comes from a role playing background so I think it really helped enhance the game in a game-y way rather than making it a blockbuster film or something. I can imagine how BL3 would suffer from being both a huge team, but also trying to follow an already big project. It's a bit like the GTA games, the crew is thousands of people so you can see why it takes 5 years to make a game.

Soldato
BL3 is not that bad - it's the only one I've completed in the series - I found the rest very jumpy or requiring oxygen so you can't free roam as easily. You have to fight your way through some of the characters (the main enemy 'twins' are really annoying) but some characters they have in there are quite good (Pain and Terror for example).

It is a bit of a grind fest, the story is okay, for me it was a play once and put down game.

M.

Associate
Convoy
Billed as a cross between Mad Max and FTL Convoy is certainly worth a look if you get it around the £2.50 mark. It’s definitely far less complex than FTL in terms of tactical combat but as a simple just ‘fun’ game I found it quite good. In concept it’s similar to FTL - moving across a planet to collect various bits needed to get your spaceship running again. The very simple text encounters are very FTL-esque, but there’s no real time pressure like the space game except that your enemies get stronger as you go on. Tactically I’d say there are a lot fewer methods and options than FTL, your convoy sits in the middle of the road as the enemies swoop in and it’s mostly a matter of concentrating firepower on the most dangerous ones. As you go on if you manage to load up the main truck with heavy duty firepower you can destroy sizeable chunks of opposition in the first few seconds of encounters which can be quite satisfying. I think it took me about four goes to win on the lowest setting - the end boss is quite a lot more challenging than the run through, and towards the start it’s easy to get wiped out trying to get to a camp to repair. Overall for £2 ish it’s definitely worth a look. 7/10

Soldato
Divine divinity 1

Played with 2h physical tank, one mage, one ranger, one rogue.

Graphics - They hold up in 2021 quite well.

Audio - I thought the soundtrack was pretty impressive. General audio is nothing special

Story - It felt generic, maybe because I had played divinity 2 or maybe because I have played many CRPGs like this. I felt unattached to the characters and the ending itself was one of the most underwhelming I have come across, you are playing this for the journey I guess.

Difficulty - I just used the default expecting a fairly balanced game. Nope, early game provides a little challenge if you don't have tanks (I used spiders), mid game was very easy, end game you can pretty much walk through. So up it from default if you decide to play.

Combat -

Turn based. Spell selection is okay, magic doesn't feel powerful unless it is about control or you have gained a master spell. Physical combat good, typical rpg.

Gear and items - Just randomised gear throughout the game making many items sub par if they don't have the stats you are after. Unique items are quickly outpaced by random items. Never used any consumables because of the difficulty but can see how they would be useful otherwise.

Crafting - Just really isn't explained at all. You get random recipes from books and there is a lot of experimentation. I found it difficult to craft bombs because I couldn't get the skill requirements from gear alone and I didn't want to waste skill points. There are crafting "kits" which aren't explained anywhere, had to google it.

Skills - Split between major magic schools, ranged, melee.
The skill up system is bad in the sense that you have to save points when leveling up to achieve max level in a particular one, not so much of an issue as you get access to a single master spell before the final skill level which doubles it to two.
I didn't like having to divide ability skill points between combat, crafting, personality. This resulted in me just not putting anything into crafting and personality as they weren't needed.

I got about 90 hours of it and just played for the genre I guess, if that's what you are looking for then great.
Divine divinity 1

Played with 2h physical tank, one mage, one ranger, one rogue.

Graphics - They hold up in 2021 quite well.

Audio - I thought the soundtrack was pretty impressive. General audio is nothing special

Story - It felt generic, maybe because I had played divinity 2 or maybe because I have played many CRPGs like this. I felt unattached to the characters and the ending itself was one of the most underwhelming I have come across, you are playing this for the journey I guess.

Difficulty - I just used the default expecting a fairly balanced game. Nope, early game provides a little challenge if you don't have tanks (I used spiders), mid game was very easy, end game you can pretty much walk through. So up it from default if you decide to play.

Combat -

Turn based. Spell selection is okay, magic doesn't feel powerful unless it is about control or you have gained a master spell. Physical combat good, typical rpg.

Gear and items - Just randomised gear throughout the game making many items sub par if they don't have the stats you are after. Unique items are quickly outpaced by random items. Never used any consumables because of the difficulty but can see how they would be useful otherwise.

Crafting - Just really isn't explained at all. You get random recipes from books and there is a lot of experimentation. I found it difficult to craft bombs because I couldn't get the skill requirements from gear alone and I didn't want to waste skill points. There are crafting "kits" which aren't explained anywhere, had to google it.

Skills - Split between major magic schools, ranged, melee.
The skill up system is bad in the sense that you have to save points when leveling up to achieve max level in a particular one, not so much of an issue as you get access to a single master spell before the final skill level which doubles it to two.
I didn't like having to divide ability skill points between combat, crafting, personality. This resulted in me just not putting anything into crafting and personality as they weren't needed.

I got about 90 hours of it and just played for the genre I guess, if that's what you are looking for then great.

Soldato
Just finished a playthrough of Deus Ex HR which by any standard is a retro game these days I guess. Still 10/10 even after all this time. As this was a cold restart for me opted for a mix of lethal and non lethal, so got the "balanced" report at the end. Went with the Sarif ending having decided to summarily execute Hugh Darrow and William Taggart in Panchea for crimes against humanity. Sarif is the logical choice as he is still around in Mankind Divided, which will probably be up next if I can tame the mouse speed.

Soldato
The Ascent - 8.5/10

A picturesque cyberpunk setting that's (much?) better polished than CP2077. So many guns and endless mindless violence, the main storyline is decent and well-acted but the lack of voice acting on the subquests makes them dull and it ends up as extra exp grab. The soundtrack is excellent, the graphics are rich with RT and DLSS options. It's an overhead shooter a bit like Diablo but with guns but it doesn't hold it back at all. If the subquests were voiced and the game was a little bit longer with some extra replayability then I'd give it a 9.5.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quake Enhanced Edition

main campaign/Quake 64/dimension of the machine

The main game and Quake 64 were played on nightmare difficulty; dimension of the machine, IIRC, was done on hard for a first playthrough though it may have been on the hardest skill, I can't be sure.

+ attention to visual quality is solid; improves it without losing the character of the game
+ having only 50 health on nightmare makes for an exciting addition (only occurred to me near the end of the campaign that the rocket launcher wasn't in my arsenal until very late - part of the nightmare change?)
+ sure was a nice surprise to get this release out of the blue without all the hype and excess media build-up that usually accompanies any game/movie

- not sure how feasible this is so perhaps more work is required than I can appreciate, but it would be very nice to see Quake 64 patched with at least a modest amount of greater visual fidelity (original was 240i - and it shows)
- a little buggy on release though I very much expect a patch will be incoming; to be fair, my experience has been good overall; the only real issue I have is that when playing the new episode, dimension of the machine, the frame rate runs all over the place, though I expect in time an update of sorts will sort it out (my 980Ti surely can't be the problem!)

As I often do, I watched the entire credits at the end of the main game as it interests me to see all the names associated with the project, even those that didn't work on the game and that is employed in a different capacity, e.g. cleaning team/executive chef. :)

At some point, I'd like to record a series of the main game on nightmare difficulty with no saves/no deaths.

Last edited:
Associate
No Mans Sky 7/10.
Enjoyed the start but involved a fair amount of grinding to get materials etc. Have finished the main story line and now just flying around trying to discover stuff that may have been missed during the story gameplay (like living ships). But has started to become repetitive. Kudos to the team, having developed it a lot, from the initial launch day crap.

Associate
Subnautica Below Zero 8/10.
Spent a good few hours on this one (only started after it was fully released). It felt pretty similar to the first one. The game takes place on the same planet but different part (called Sector Zero) of it with references to the previously crashed ship in the story based on the logs you unlock. Found myself wandering around at times as the next objective wasnt quite clear but eventually managed to stumble up on it and get going again. Sorely missed the sonar upgrade for cyclops from the first one for the seatruck as navigating deep regions was very tricky with the visibility very low. Wasnt even sure if I was going around in circles at times. The environment didnt feel as scary as the first one and guess there are not as many leviathans around. Crafting was very easy as most things unlock pretty early on and minerals/materials are fairly easy to get. I did not feel convinced by the story as such and I cant quite put my finger on it to say which bits crap but just felt a bit disjointed to me.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Death Stranding 9/10

Well this one was a really pleasant surprise. I held off for ages playing it as I just couldn't get my head around the idea of 'delivering packages' being fun. Eventually I took a chance and wow what an absolute gem of a game. I finished it 2 weeks ago and I still sit and think about its concept and story, the characters, the emotive cut scenes and of course my own personal challenges of making those deliveries. I was also really surprised by some of the stages and how action-oriented they were, really wasn't expecting that. Of course graphically it's absolutely stunning and I took a ton of screenshots. The hdr, set up correctly, is incredible.

Absolute top notch game and a real breath of fresh air to play.

ne0

ne0

Associate
The Ascent 7.5/10

Stunning, immersive world, stunning graphics and awesome gameplay, however, I found the story to be really boring and it just didn't click with me. Honestly, I had no idea wth was going on so I just switched off from the story and had fun shooting things. Also the ending was really anti-climatic and took me off guard...really wasn't expecting it to suddenly show the credits when it did.

Still, great game overall from a small studio and highly recommended even though the story sucks.

Associate
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 8/10

Late to the party I know, but finally got round to playing and completing. It's definitely my type of game, and lets you choose between a stealthy approach and a more straight forward run and gun.
Graphically I think it's stunning. The faces are beautifully rendered and the scenery is green and lush. It's one of the few games I've found to run pretty flawlessly as well, not sure why, but it just felt really smooth.
Storywise it wasn't particularly amazing, but it did the job.
I did about 85% so still have some tombs, secrets etc to find, but not all that fussed on getting 100%. Might play it again if re-visit the first 2 again

Back
Top Bottom