• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
I thought the 6800XT was as good, if not better, than the 3080?
Sold auctions show £800+

they basically trade blows and Nvidia has more features but with FE drops you can get it for £650 and AMD dont do UK drops . glad nvidia did UK drops I refused to pay the silly prices £1000+ for 3080 AIB and only was willing to pay £850 for AIB 3080 which isnt happening right now and only option was from drops

Associate
So people that bought a 3070Ti should have got the regular 3070? :p

If you have the option, yes. 3070 ti gives you 3-5% more FPS and 100W more power drain, not a good trade-off. Admittedly it's probably the easiest FE card to get since it's the worst deal (IMO).

Yeah we have to do what we can in the time we have. I understand when working you cant be ready to buy FE's all day. If you can offset by selling current GPU's generally you aren't getting a bad price.

Phone goes beep beep, you grab it from the desk and do the purchase process directly on the phone, takes 5min max depending if your credit card was already saved.. If you're doing office work, it's not much of a stunt, plus once it's in your basket you can breathe again, you've got some 10min or so at that point to finish the transaction. Advanced players can change telegram ringtone so you recognize drops (and get disappointed it was DE or FR)

A relative has just sold their 2070 Super for around £450 to offset their 3070 Ti FE drop. Best combo really - lowest price new GPU and decent price on used.

If you're already checking FE drops, 3070 and 3060 ti do drop from time to time, two weeks ago the cheeky guys dropped 3070 Ti in the morning and 3070 in the afternoon. Or just go all in and try to get 3080, there's a hard level for you.

Associate
Just search in YouTube for 'msi afterburner voltage curve' and look for videos related to 30 series cards. I just watched a couple and then got to it, it's quite easy. You can always come back and ask should you have any specific questions.

Yes, you can kind of do it, but if you make a mistake, there's not much in the way of undo and as soon as you commit a spot as the power cap, you can't go back without doing the whole curve scanning process again. Limiting the power target to 80% or something achieves the same far easier.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If you have the option, yes. 3070 ti gives you 3-5% more FPS and 100W more power drain, not a good trade-off. Admittedly it's probably the easiest FE card to get since it's the worst deal (IMO).

Cool, I genuinely didnt know that. On here though being enthusiasts, it would go down as a better card just because its a Ti, or at least that's what you are led to believe. Rather much like the 3080Ti which to me made more sense to either stick with a regular 3080FE or if you must have absolute best power get the 3090FE which were both released in Autumn last year.

Soldato
Sold auctions show £800+

Vast majority pick the 3080, as it's Nvidia, so lacks the potential driver issues such as black screens, flickering, blue screen, and other issues that have plagued AMD cards for the last 10 years.

THat said, I have heard the RDNA2 cards have been much improved in that regard, though people have already been burnt with all the issues with Vega, Polaris and the RDNA1 series. Personally, I'd like to see a few years of stability before trusting AMD GPU's again.

Associate
Yes, you can kind of do it, but if you make a mistake, there's not much in the way of undo and as soon as you commit a spot as the power cap, you can't go back without doing the whole curve scanning process again. Limiting the power target to 80% or something achieves the same far easier.

I done it manually, it was painless and I didn't use the curve scanning process.

I am at 800mv @ 1800mhz on my 3080 ti with the same or slightly higher Timespy score than stock but massively less power draw and lower temperatures.

Limiting the power target is certainly easier, but you get more performance per watt with an undervolt curve.

Soldato
Vast majority pick the 3080, as it's Nvidia, so lacks the potential driver issues such as black screens, flickering, blue screen, and other issues that have plagued AMD cards for the last 10 years.

THat said, I have heard the RDNA2 cards have been much improved in that regard, though people have already been burnt with all the issues with Vega, Polaris and the RDNA1 series. Personally, I'd like to see a few years of stability before trusting AMD GPU's again.

pretty sure the drivers issues are in the past, I've owned the 5700xt for few years and its been pretty much perfect I would still pick Nvidia over AMD because it has more features and better RT performance even though I wouldnt use it much still and having been able to get 3080FE £650 on drop was pretty much decided as AMD dont do drops for the UK , AIB cards are far too much

Associate
Sold auctions show £800+

i'm not the type to stress out which ones better than the other chasing scores and fps, end of they day they are both very good cards. In this particular scenario, my choice of replacing the 6800xt with a 3080fe is purely from a design perspective. I like to tinker with my current setup and the 3080FE sounds like an ideal replacement due to it's size

Soldato

That's interesting to know. I was keen on getting an AMD card when I was building my PC last year. My reasons aren't very good, I just wanted to pair it with my Ryzen CPU and that they look great. I'm quite glad I ended up where I am with a 3080 FE.

Associate
In the 5 years i had my sapphire rx 480 there was one driver i put on that caused crashes, only bought a 3070 FE cause i couldn't buy a 6700xt at rrp, i mostly play multiplayer fps so RT and dlss are of no use to me.

That's interesting to know. I was keen on getting an AMD card when I was building my PC last year. My reasons aren't very good, I just wanted to pair it with my Ryzen CPU and that they look great. I'm quite glad I ended up where I am with a 3080 FE.

Dont take anything he says as fact its mostly excrement

Soldato
In the 5 years i had my sapphire rx 480 there was one driver i put on that caused crashes, only bought a 3070 FE cause i couldn't buy a 6700xt at rrp, i mostly play multiplayer fps so RT and dlss are of no use to me.

Dont take anything he says as fact its mostly excrement

Sounds harsh

Soldato
I've just ran a couple benchmarks (Heaven 4 and Neon Noir) and not impressed by my 3080 FE performance or the horrendous coil whine.

I did think after my two 3060 Ti cards benchmarked well and were nice and quiet, maybe it was my turn to lose on the silicon lottery.

I'm now very interested in what I can do to increase benchmark performance and decrease coil whine.

Soldato
I've just ran a couple benchmarks (Heaven 4 and Neon Noir) and not impressed by my 3080 FE performance or the horrendous coil whine.

I did think after my two 3060 Ti cards benchmarked well and were nice and quiet, maybe it was my turn to lose on the silicon lottery.

I'm now very interested in what I can do to increase benchmark performance and decrease coil whine.

How bad is it ? Hear it even when the fans kick in ? Does it change pitch ?

You have to expect coil whine but it varies from card to card for me if most of it gets drowned out by the fans that's fine for me , you can try under volting to reduce coil whine

I just sent mine back after 1 week trying to live with it and they agreed and awaiting on replacement now

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Coil whine went away in mine after a day or so (3080FE).

Undervolted mine and it sees a decent 10C drop for seemingly little to no fps drop. Much quieter.

Soldato
Coil whine went away in mine after a day or so (3080FE).

Undervolted mine and it sees a decent 10C drop for seemingly little to no fps drop. Much quieter.

What settings? I have Afterburner I'll give it a bash.

Did you benchmark it before and after undervolting?

Soldato
How bad is it ? Hear it even when the fans kick in ? Does it change pitch ?

You have to expect coil whine but it varies from card to card for me if most of it gets drowned out by the fans that's fine for me , you can try under volting to reduce coil whine

I just sent mine back after 1 week trying to live with it and they agreed and awaiting on replacement now

My PC is really, really quiet. I have Noctua case fans and a BQ cooler. When I had either of my 3060 Ti FE cards in, there was no sound above regular ambient. The 3080 is sat there without fans on now and it's the same sound level as when I had the 3060 Ti running.
In the benchmark, there's a whine that corresponds with things moving - high amount of movement in the benchmark and you get a loud whine. Not much going on, whine reduces. Can't hear fans.

Soldato
My PC is really, really quiet. I have Noctua case fans and a BQ cooler. When I had either of my 3060 Ti FE cards in, there was no sound above regular ambient. The 3080 is sat there without fans on now and it's the same sound level as when I had the 3060 Ti running.
In the benchmark, there's a whine that corresponds with things moving - high amount of movement in the benchmark and you get a loud whine. Not much going on, whine reduces. Can't hear fans.

I Also consider my pc to be quiet you can get louder coil whine in menu's or in game when the FPS is really high you can try capping the FPS to the monitors refresh rate

It did slightly improve it but still could clearly hear it over the fans and the pitch changes found really annoying just hope replacement is much better

Back
Top Bottom