How many Focus ST owners on here

Associate
I have just signed up to this forum,so hello all. I have recently bought a 65 plate Focus st with the stylepack. Nice car but i do not like the feel of the clutch pedal. I have bought a Steeda spring to fit to see if that improves the feel.Tempted to get a remap but they seem expensive for very little gain.

Soldato
What's the difference? I've been looking to buy an ST, they all seem to have those alloys :confused:
How time flies >_<

Finally got round to actually looking to buy an ST3 in Electric Orange, so far my looking has been a tale of woe. Only looking to spend a few grand, should have one buy August hopefully :)

Soldato
I've test drove one I really like, a 57 plate ST3, the garage says it's just had a new clutch, the biting point for the clutch is very high, most of the pedal did nothing, and it felt like an on/off switch at around 85% of letting out the clutch from the fully down position.

Focus's tend to have a high bite point from googleing, and the garage seems clueless really, it could be a standard clutch or an RS one, I think it's been mapped and messed with, if it standard holy cow tho lol. I'd have bought it like a shot if clutch felt normal, it didn't slip when I put it in 5th and floored it

Car condition, colour, alloys, 12 months MOT, are all good.

So should I check for the invoice, have another test drive and check for slipping and live with the high clutch, or is it a worry?

Associate
Typically an RS clutch will feel heavier than a standard ST clutch, can’t say I noticed any difference in biting point between the 2 when mine was upgraded.

Good way to check for slipping is to get to 2 or 3K in 5th or 6th then accelerate and see if the tacho rises smoothly or seems to drop then hesitate before rising again

Soldato
Typically an RS clutch will feel heavier than a standard ST clutch, can’t say I noticed any difference in biting point between the 2 when mine was upgraded.

Good way to check for slipping is to get to 2 or 3K in 5th or 6th then accelerate and see if the tacho rises smoothly or seems to drop then hesitate before rising again
If it's a standard clutch, where should the biting point be then? It wasn't undrivable, I didn't stall it, just felt very different to what I'm used to

Associate
Honestly can’t remember where it would have been on the standard clutch, changed mine maybe 5 years ago.

Best I could suggest is to compare it to another ST to see if that feels the same.

Soldato
Finally picked one up, ebay BIN at a good price, 12 months MOT done that morning, I went to make lunch whilst thinking it over, came back and someone had bought it ;( I messaged seller saying I really liked the car and if messed about by buyer, I'd be happy to buy. The seller said if you can come now and pay then it's yours as he had his eye on something else that was BIN and wanted to buy it as soon as possible. A few hours later and it's mine, welp whoever did the BIN :D Stage 2, around 315 BHP, actual RS clutch, no idea what was going on with that other one, this one is heavy, bites good, at the midpoint of pedal travel. There's a few issues, paintwork, lacquer peel and a bit of rust, and it occasionally throws an ESP fault, that I'm waiting for, then will investigate. I stupidly filled up with E10 95 fuel on the drive home, couldn't find anything proper in the middle of nowhere and was getting low, car wasn't happy with it, have run it down and filled to the brim with vpower now :D

Associate
I tried to find a thread on Focus STs in this forum before and search failed me, finally I've found it. I'm on my second Focus ST now. Had a 65 plate Mk3.5 for nearly 3 years, then went to a Mk8 Fiesta ST but missed the Focus, so back in a Mk4 now.

TUN-0766m.jpg

Soldato
I've had mine a year now and still happy with it. Working from home has seen the mileage preserved to only 2700.
So before its first service, I've made an enquiry about the ST Edition as I really like the colour (not the wheels but somehow they work with the Azure Blue).
If something comes of it, great, if not, I haven't lost anything besides 5 mins for an email.

Associate
Currently in the process of switching my Mk8 Fiesta ST over to a Focus ST edition. Originally was going to trade into another Fiesta based on high value of old car but the wife loves the colour of the Edition as when I had a MK3 RS she wanted the Nitrous Blue but I bought a magnetic. Not managed to drive a focus yet and deal been done over the phone but the Fiesta was starting to get a bit small for the growing kids and I’ve stated golfing again which was very difficult in a small car. I could have lived with another Fiesta which is a great car so hoping i have made the right call “upgrading”

Hopefully be a nice enough experience with this one. Waiting for collection on a 71 plate as car due into dealer very soon.

Soldato
Got a estimate from Motorway for my car, £28916 (Motorpoint, WBAC and AutoTrader came in slightly lower) which easily clears the finance. Payments on the new one should be similar so hardly any change for me.
Sent the estimate to the local dealer who does have an allocation of the ST edition and he responded very quickly this morning to yesterdays email (he was off) so I'm hopeful something might happen.
My missus thinks I'm mad as we had discussions on whether we actually need a car.

Soldato
I tried to find a thread on Focus STs in this forum before and search failed me, finally I've found it. I'm on my second Focus ST now. Had a 65 plate Mk3.5 for nearly 3 years, then went to a Mk8 Fiesta ST but missed the Focus, so back in a Mk4 now.

TUN-0766m.jpg

How is the mk4 ST compared to the mk3.5? The mk4 looks ace.

There does seem to be a distinct lack of following for these cars on OCUK :D I've had mine for almost 2 months now and I absolutely love it. It's my first hot hatch after years of large saloons/hatchbacks and it's a breath of fresh air.

From what the prices seem to be doing on Autotrader, I think I paid a pretty good price.

Attachments

• dJvnfgR.jpg
    dJvnfgR.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3QJCMWj.jpg
    3QJCMWj.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 1
  • lGoe2X8.jpg
    lGoe2X8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back