• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All Zen4 to have iGPU by design

Soldato
Bad news for gamers I guess as it will drive up the cost of CPUs, although this might be offset slightly by not having to run as many manufacturing processes.

And Zen 4 CPUs will be hotter and more power hungry.

Now we know why the TDP for Zen 4 is 170w vs 125w on Zen 3.

So the move to 5nm means more density but rather than adding extra cores AMD is filling the space with an iGPU

Associate
Well this affect price of the CPUs though? Isn't part of the reason why AMD was able to come in so well priced because they were just a CPU? If you wanted an igpu you bought an APU, right?

Man of Honour
I’m not sure how this would work as I have never had an onboard gpu but if it could handle browsing and YouTube and then the dedicated graphics card kicks in for games that seems pretty decent as it would be less of a power draw. My wife uses my computer working from home and the 3090 gpu pretty much doubles as a mini heater lol.
There shouldn't be much difference in total power draw between a system displaying web apps on the iGPU vs dedicated card, given both are in the system at the same time. Looking online, RTX3090 uses less than 20W when idle.

Will probably have an impact on prices also as can be seen by Intels F and non F Sku's.
You'd imagine so but the impact might be reduced if ALL cpus are apus, because that should simplify things a bit, they haven't got to make multiple versions of the same chip.

Permabanned
There shouldn't be much difference in total power draw between a system displaying web apps on the iGPU vs dedicated card, given both are in the system at the same time. Looking online, RTX3090 uses less than 20W when idle.

You'd imagine so but the impact might be reduced if ALL cpus are apus, because that should simplify things a bit, they haven't got to make multiple versions of the same chip.

I don't recommend using an iGPU for anything - it is slow and stresses the central cores to the extent that the overall system responsiveness goes to crap.

Permabanned
In which alternate reality does this happen? (Asking as I have 100 Pcs at work with Intel graphics that don't seem affected)

Probably you are used to the slow speed and it doesn't bother you. But the Intel iGPU is even worse.

Well, try the iGPU on a motherboard - asrock 939a785gmh and you will understand.

Modern iGPUs are also very slow.

Don
Well, try the iGPU on a motherboard - asrock 939a785gmh and you will understand.
A 16 year old low-end motherboard as an example? Obvious troll is obvious

Probably you are used to the slow speed and it doesn't bother you. But the Intel iGPU is even worse.

Modern iGPUs are also very slow.
I'll be honest, I thought my 6th and 7th gen Intel graphics weren't particularly modern, but when you're digging up 16 year old relics as examples, then I must be near the cutting edge :)

Soldato
OP
asrock 939a785gmh

Thats socket 939 , using a 12 year old onboard (not ondie) dGPU. The last official and optimised driver was catalyst 13.1 in January of 2013. The only windows 10 drivers are renamed vga compliant ones to output a display only.

Soldato
OP
Intel themselves only really `got going` with ondie iGPU with Sandy Bridge in 2011, AMD then launch Llano on AM2 as its own `APU`. The last AMD aolution with onboard dGPU was the 890GX chipset for AM3, which used a slightly faster version of the HD4200 you listed (that Asrock board was from 2009)

Associate
Is there actually a separate mask for Intel F CPUs?

I suspect not. While they can use dies where the iGPU has failed for the F models, I'm sure many of them are just fused off to meet demand.

Soldato
X99 was a HEDT platform - so yes it didn't have integrated graphics.

Thanks, thought I was going mad there for a minute.

In what way does it not having an iGPU benefit you?

Benefit?

Who's talking about benefit?

I just regard it as unnecessary silicon and a waste (for me, with my current usage), hence I don't want it.

Now if someone brings out a cpu with an IGPU equivalent to a current mid-range discrete graphics card like a 3070, then colour me interested, but that's never going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom