Road Cycling

Soldato
I'd say that is the best way to go as you'll get the best hit when it matters.

My mates been smashing quite a lot of gels and out in bunches see guys smashing caffeine gels to get away from my hairy legs :cry:

Definitely. Although if you've got an event you want to make sure your stomach can cope with gels. Mine is iron built and can ingest anything on any ride... But know not everyone is as fortunate.

Feeding is all personal. I know some people that barely eat for a 3 to 4 hour ride whilst I'm tucking away regularly but then if it's a steady z2 ride I'll only have a banana in 3 hours. Got to remember your intake is not just for your ride but for preparing your body for recovery and the coming days. If you're doing back to back days you need to eat more on your rides and not big big meals and snacks when you're home to keep you fuelled up and ensure your body is using the right resources at the right times. Also the balance of eating carbs (sugar based or not) fats and proteins becomes even more important the more miles you do. A bad diet will hold you back more than having rubbish wheels or a heavy bike.

Soldato
Thanks drs says could be out for 6-8 weeks gonna feel like an eternity

Make sure you get physio sorted. I also booked a few PT sessions in to boost what the NHS provided and this has really helped me as I found them both to be much more encouraging then the doctors were in the hospital. Hoping for a recovery as good as mine has been.

Soldato
I wouldn't read into it too much as you're just starting out. Although you're more 'in tune' with your body than many 'new' riders, you'll be using difference muscles and holding a very different position to your running so will see strain and soreness from it. I wouldn't worry too much about a 'bike fit' until you've got a decent amount of miles in, or are looking to change anything. Although someone with a bit of experience taking a 'look' at your position can always help. But I'm talking about a friend who already cycles, or posting a picture/video up somewhere from the side of you riding to see the angles and movement.

There are lots of 'self-help' things and basics you can get things close when doing things solo. Pedal stroke is probably the first to get your leg/foot extension right, as that's saddle height related. KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) would be the next to judge saddle fore/aft, then that leads onto stem length and bar height/position. So they're all really related and that's where I'd say to start and in that sequence. Others here will have some pointers here too, lots of videos and websites around online for it. Park tools have a load of good guides as do GCN on their channel, but there are so many out there.

Woohoo! Exciting times!

Cheers for this, i do feel like i've got it fairly well setup based on articles i've read. My issue is that i seem to be developing some kind of tennis elbow pain following longer rides. It begun after doing ~21 miles last Sunday, with some small aches around the elbow, then eased throughout the week to minimal levels, then on Saturday i did a 26.5 miles ride and since then there's discomfort to straighten my arm, all coming from the elbow, which is worse in the mornings and then eases throughout the day. My right knee also got achey towards the end of the ride, but i think that's more muscular as as soon as i finished that felt absolutely fine.

My particular route was a cycle track around Preston so quite windy with lots of turns/braking and quite a bit of uneven group which will have causes lots of vibration/shaking up the arm. I don't feel i'm gripping the bars too tightly and my left arm is fine, so wondering if it's aggravating an old injury (not that i recall anything). The main articles online around this seem to relate to wrist position when on the hoods, but when i'm relaxed this looks neutral so not sure where else to look.

I'm off to Spain on Friday so going to leave riding this week and see if it eases and then try and stick to shorter rides for when i'm back and seeing if i can find a pattern to what causes it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So shimano finally release 12sp for the road. Although was not expecting it to be for ultegra at the same time and a ditching of manual shifting altogether in both ranges!

Soldato
I was surprised they're launching at the same time but it makes sense if the tooling as practically identical.

Dropping mechanical at ultegra level is a strange one for me, are £3000 bikes going to have 105 on them now? Entry into a higher end race bike may be silly money now, my system six is already £5 with mechanical ultegra.

Hyperglide+ does sound good, servo wave/more pad clearance also good and the ability to fit 12 speed to 11 speed freehub is genius.

It looked as they it was a microspline cassette with more slots cut in it to suit standard freehub bodies.

Soldato
So my new bike is already out of date! Life is cruel :p

Went on another 40km ride yesterday. A bit hillier than my usual rides but nothing outlandish. It was around the country side so a lot of climbing, then down hill, then more climbing again. I say a lot but it was only 547m of elevation gain.

Going to slowly start going further and further but I feel deliberately hill hunting at the moment will be more beneficial in the short term

Soldato
So my new bike is already out of date! Life is cruel :p

Went on another 40km ride yesterday. A bit hillier than my usual rides but nothing outlandish. It was around the country side so a lot of climbing, then down hill, then more climbing again. I say a lot but it was only 547m of elevation gain.

Going to slowly start going further and further but I feel deliberately hill hunting at the moment will be more beneficial in the short term

I watched a google video on Youtube last night from GCN, where they used the Strava auto route feature to create the toughest routes. Could be a good option for you if you have Strava Premium.

Soldato
I watched a google video on Youtube last night from GCN, where they used the Strava auto route feature to create the toughest routes. Could be a good option for you if you have Strava Premium.

I do, but the toughest routes would have me blowing out of my rear end haha! I'm currently just wanting to beat some of my records I set on my fixie.

Soldato
I do, but the toughest routes would have me blowing out of my rear end haha! I'm currently just wanting to beat some of my records I set on my fixie.

Haha fair point. You probably don't need to go quite to that extreme, but it's a great feature for finding new routes.

I used it last night as i needed to do a 16 mile run to complete an August challenge and was bored of running the same routes, it took me in a completely different direction and through some roads/trails which i'd never known about and will definitely become part of more regular runs.

Mainly due to passing some absolutely huge houses i enjoyed noseying at, 2 of which had private tennis courts!

Soldato
I was surprised they're launching at the same time but it makes sense if the tooling as practically identical.

Dropping mechanical at ultegra level is a strange one for me, are £3000 bikes going to have 105 on them now? Entry into a higher end race bike may be silly money now, my system six is already £5 with mechanical ultegra.

Hyperglide+ does sound good, servo wave/more pad clearance also good and the ability to fit 12 speed to 11 speed freehub is genius.

It looked as they it was a microspline cassette with more slots cut in it to suit standard freehub bodies.

Thing is 105 has been good solid and reliable for a long time, 5800 was good and 7000 is great and only if you're really snobby will you go oh I don't want 105... But then if you're running mechanical you're in the past anyway. I have noticed at the club runs that in the group I usually ride in that electric shifting has gone from barely anyone 3 years ago to 75%+ with di2 or etap.

Yeah hyperglide+ sounds great. I missed this bit. I think this is already on grx and does work well and as you say being able to fit 12 on to 11 sp freehub is obviously what shimano have been working on and is the biggest thing they have over the sram/campag systems and makes barriers to entry minimal.

I won't be going over anytime soon as I like my bikes all being 11sp, wonder how long until grx is made 12sp.

Soldato
My main concern is just theft when out and about or if I had an accident and it got damaged.

£20 a month seems a bit higher than I thought it would've been, not sure what I was expecting really so perhaps I'm being naive

Associate
I paid £89 for mine covers theft as long as you meet the criteria and any liability as well as legal fees i didn’t go for injury cover.

just had my first physio and they hope I could go home at the weekend, they were only expecting me to get out of the bed onto the crutches but we went for a little walk to the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom