£300 to £500

Soldato
Probably not new. Towards the higher end of the budget you could maybe buy a prebuilt
System with 5600G.

Another option would be the Mac mini M1. That would offer Ryzen 9 5900HX performance. Again though, probably not for £500.

Soldato
Second hand might be a good idea depending on what you can get, but then again in the current market anything with a decent graphics card will probably be well out of budget. I might think about building a new PC - a 5600G might do your needs as a stopgap until gpu prices come down and you could drop in an upgraded gpu if desired. See benchmarks in video for an idea of what to expect from a 5600G:

My go at a build for just under your budget:
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £493.60 (includes shipping: £11.70)

If you had another few quid could get some 3600mhz ram for £20 more, or go for some more storage (eg £25 more for a bundled 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd, or £33 more for a 1TB SSD) as 512gb might get used up quite quickly with a few modern games installed.

Last edited:
Associate
Not wanting to deviate too far from op's question... I'm wanting to build a pc for my granddaughter and its maybe 15 years since I built my last one... She is mainly a minecraft and roblox player, currently running my old gen 3 i3 3200 with onboard Intel 2500, so I'm thinking the build immediately above would give her a good way into a newer system and some insight into how a pc is built?

Questions- there's no cpu cooler on the list, I assume it'll need one? Similarly, need to add the cost of Win 10? We have an evo 840 ssd in the old pc, but I think I'd buy new as above to give us the chance to build it without decommissioning the old pc.

She is running a two monitor setup (1 via, 1 hdmi hd tv), the monitor will take dvi, but I think we may have to consider a new monitor too?

Thanks, Mark

Man of Honour
Not wanting to deviate too far from op's question... I'm wanting to build a pc for my granddaughter and its maybe 15 years since I built my last one... She is mainly a minecraft and roblox player, currently running my old gen 3 i3 3200 with onboard Intel 2500, so I'm thinking the build immediately above would give her a good way into a newer system and some insight into how a pc is built?

Questions- there's no cpu cooler on the list, I assume it'll need one? Similarly, need to add the cost of Win 10? We have an evo 840 ssd in the old pc, but I think I'd buy new as above to give us the chance to build it without decommissioning the old pc.

She is running a two monitor setup (1 via, 1 hdmi hd tv), the monitor will take dvi, but I think we may have to consider a new monitor too?

Thanks, Mark
5600g comes woth a stock cooler but can always call to verify. Win 10 keys can be got for £10 online you just need to download windows installer andbput it onto a usb drive.

Soldato
A 10400F + used GTX 1060 3gb can be had for around the same price as a 5600G and offers over double the gaming performance.

The 10400F is also faster with a high end GPU if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Screenshot-146.png

Last edited:
Associate
A 10400F + used GTX 1060 3gb can be had for around the same price as a 5600G and offers over double the gaming performance.

The 10400F is also faster with a high end GPU if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Screenshot-146.png

upgrade options in the future do bother me a little, but I'm some way from that just now I think. I'll take a look at a few reviews before buying though, thanks

Soldato
upgrade options in the future do bother me a little, but I'm some way from that just now I think. I'll take a look at a few reviews before buying though, thanks
I wouldn't worry to much about future upgrades when your on a budget, just get the best performance you can for the budget right now.

Screenshot-147.png

Last edited:
Soldato

Thanks, Mark
As above, the 5600G should come with a cooler, and Tbf as pointed out above something like a 10400F with a second hand 1060 would give better performance if you can get hold of one. Either solution would be a significant upgrade on what she's got atm though!

One thing to add if you do go for a 5600G with the mobo in my build is you may have to upgrade the bios to get it to recognise the cpu. That board can update directly from a USB stick without a cpu though, so it's quite simple - no need for a spare cpu or anything.

You can get displayport to DVI (or vga for that matter) adapters (probably need to be 'active' rather than passive), so shouldn't be necessary to get a new monitor.

Associate
That's the best I could do, it's mostly B grade part's though. Fitting both a GPU and CPU into £500 is difficult, as you tend to spend at least £100-£300 on CPU, and £200-£500 on GPU. Even in the best case you're approaching £500. £300 is a no go, look into the used market in such a case, a dell optiplex with a 1050ti thrown in might suit your price range better.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the best I could do, it's mostly B grade part's though. Fitting both a GPU and CPU into £500 is difficult, as you tend to spend at least £100-£300 on CPU, and £200-£500 on GPU. Even in the best case you're approaching £500. £300 is a no go, look into the used market in such a case, a dell optiplex with a 1050ti thrown in might suit your price range better.

Total: £523.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)
That board doesn't support the 10400F, you need either a 400/500 series board.

Associate
I think I'm gonna go with the apu, at least as a start. Thanks for the note around needing a bios update first, looks simple enough to do pre-processor. I'll probably buy the parts over the next couple of months, then we can build it together as an early Christmas gift.

As a nod to her rgb likings, I've put in a slightly different case, but I hope it's suitable.

Please let me know if I've slipped up here, or missed anything (will get an o/s of course)

Total: £517.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Man of Honour
I think I'm gonna go with the apu, at least as a start. Thanks for the note around needing a bios update first, looks simple enough to do pre-processor. I'll probably buy the parts over the next couple of months, then we can build it together as an early Christmas gift.

As a nod to her rgb likings, I've put in a slightly different case, but I hope it's suitable.

Please let me know if I've slipped up here, or missed anything (will get an o/s of course)

Total: £517.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)
All looks good .

An extra £20 will get you double the storage.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...i-e-3.0-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-070-cr.html

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom