BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
The fibre and ONT stays the same, it’s just a provisioning change.

I would say if you get 500 you won’t feel the need to go for 1Gbps, but the option will be there.

Caporegime
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'll get it ordered soon. The only thing I'm wondering now is whether I let BT sort out the change from Sky or I just tell them I don't have an existing line and cancel Sky myself when I'm satisfied the new fibre is up and working right.

Soldato
Going to be moving house next month planning to go from my rubbish broadband to BT's FTTP at my new home.

Whats peoples experiences of how flexible they are with the location for the ONT. Going through some pictures of the new property im pretty sure the current owners have their router in the kitchen where id prefer everything to be located centrally in the home so its easier for cable routing etc.

Do they literally turn up and drill through the closest point to the ducts or is there a bit of flexibility wioth chosing the entry point to the home?

Soldato
Some flexibility but they can only really run it around external or internal walls. It also needs a plug socket.

Getting it cleanly to the middle of the house, without an existing duct will not really be possible.

Caporegime
Hey guys, I'm moving house and will be giving up my lovely Virgin Media fibre connection. Is there any semi reliable way to ascertain when I'll be able to get FTTP / FTTH? The new place is currently limited to a max of 80mbps download via fibre (apparently).

Soldato
Man of Honour
I'm surrounded on 4 sides by "by December 2026" blobs that stop about 1 mile from me - but no sign of anything here :(

Annoys me a bit as to the south of me there is an area where most people can barely get 3MBit/s on ADSL, no FTTC, poor 4G coverage while those areas marked for Ultrafast already have 80/20 FTTC. At least where I am we can get some sort of FTTC and OK 4G.

Going to be moving house next month planning to go from my rubbish broadband to BT's FTTP at my new home.

Whats peoples experiences of how flexible they are with the location for the ONT. Going through some pictures of the new property im pretty sure the current owners have their router in the kitchen where id prefer everything to be located centrally in the home so its easier for cable routing etc.

Do they literally turn up and drill through the closest point to the ducts or is there a bit of flexibility wioth chosing the entry point to the home?

The guy I had out after we moved house was brilliant (previous occupants had done an incredible bodge job and the only realistic solution was to cut it out and start from scratch at the external wall) - but I doubt all are like that.

I was quite surprised actually as he really knew his stuff, came up with the same solution as I was wanting unprompted, did very high quality work and was willing to clean up all the old internal wiring as well (didn't take him up on that as we were gonna pull it out as part of redecorating anyhow).

Not always my experience with them though - at my old house we had to get the head of OR involved once which didn't make the guys called out very happy as she basically stayed on the phone to make sure we got a satisfactory outcome LOL.

Last edited:
Soldato
The guy I had out after we moved house was brilliant (previous occupants had done an incredible bodge job and the only realistic solution was to cut it out and start from scratch at the external wall) - but I doubt all are like that.

I was quite surprised actually as he really knew his stuff, came up with the same solution as I was wanting unprompted, did very high quality work and was willing to clean up all the old internal wiring as well (didn't take him up on that as we were gonna pull it out as part of redecorating anyhow).

It's been years since I had an OR engineer out, but he impressed me too. Went above and beyond to make sure the problem was solved, was happy to show and explain what he was doing and not had an issue since, so clearly did a reasonable job.

Man of Honour
It's been years since I had an OR engineer out, but he impressed me too. Went above and beyond to make sure the problem was solved, was happy to show and explain what he was doing and not had an issue since, so clearly did a reasonable job.

Sadly not always like that. When we had FTTC installed at our old house and had a second line put in at the same time the engineer doing the second line apparently managed to partially severe the original line in the door to the box on the pole and then basically did a runner leaving a big issue for us and the neighbours and frontline support were useless with no apparent ability to escalate to some kind of emergency response and talking of 2-3 weeks to sort it. Eventually under pressure they got an engineer to come in from outside the area who wasn't very happy about that and not very cooperative especially as he had to wait on a cherry picker to clear some branches to be able to re-cable. In the end my brother had to be a bit naughty and use his contacts to get the head of OR involved to sort it.

BT/OR are very good when they are good but very bad when they aren't :(

V F

V F

Soldato
Sadly not always like that. When we had FTTC installed at our old house and had a second line put in at the same time the engineer doing the second line apparently managed to partially severe the original line in the door to the box on the pole and then basically did a runner leaving a big issue for us and the neighbours and frontline support were useless with no apparent ability to escalate to some kind of emergency response and talking of 2-3 weeks to sort it. Eventually under pressure they got an engineer to come in from outside the area who wasn't very happy about that and not very cooperative especially as he had to wait on a cherry picker to clear some branches to be able to re-cable. In the end my brother had to be a bit naughty and use his contacts to get the head of OR involved to sort it.

Aint that the truth. Wish I had an experience as @andy_mk3 as I get BT Openreach engineers out here ALL THE TIME. An ongoing line fault from 2004. Fob you off, very rarely rectify the problem. One time some engineers from London had to come up to Scotland to fix it for a few years until it kicked off again. I could say out of all the engineers that has been in the house out of maybe 50, 4 knew what they were doing. Everybody else was winging it or completely out of their depth.

One recently 3 weeks ago went to try and find the fault, said he'd be back and disappeared. He was the one that said to me: "I'm chasing a ghost here".

Last edited:
Soldato

That sucks! No different to my field of work though (Mechanic), I'm someone that takes pride in my work and take great satisfaction knowing I've done a good thing, others don't give a toss about what they're doing, just do the bare minimum and if they mess up, try and hide it and sent it out.

Back
Top Bottom