• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6800 (XT) Owners Thread.

Soldato
Had my 6800Xt for a few months now. Still having an issue in all game in relation to Freesync/refresh rate etc.
Current specs are:

Sapphire 6800XT
AMD 5800X
MSi X570 Tomahawk Max
Corsair Ram 32Gb
NZXT Z73 cooling.
LG 27GL850-B 144Hz monitor

When running any game, if I don't use VSync or Radeons framerate limiter set to 144Hz, if the framerate goes over 144 fps the game becomes horrifically choppy. For example, running Warzone, I cant get upwards of 180 fps with my current settings, but it is unplayable due to the choppiness of the image, so I have to either turn on Vsync or fps limiter.

Am I doing something wrong , as previously on Nvidia and using GSync, it could run at over 144 fps and be buttery smooth. I feel as though I am missing something blatantly obvious. I have freesync turned on, fresh install of windows, tried different cables etc.

Any ideas or is this how it works?
I had exactly this, I think its just making new shader cache as it goes along. If something happened for the first time (such as a new gun being fired) it would stutter for that action then never again even after cold restarts. Figured this out after spending this morning trouble shooting it. Destiny 2 was unplayable for half an hour until everything got cached, now I don't get a single stutter at all.

Turn off 10 bit display in the radeon setting also, apparently it doesn't play nice with freesync, which is what i was using also.

Edit: I actually misread your post really badly but I'll keep this up in case others wonder why their new 6800xt stutters at first

My guess in your case is that your setup really dislikes leaving freesync range, and you should really be limiting frame rate to just under the freesync limit anyway. Of course if the picture frame rate is exceeding your monitors display refresh rate that's going to look choppy and teary. That's totally normal.

Soldato
Just a 6700k for now, waiting for alder lake or zen 4.

It manages 120fps (my q70a display's refresh with vrr) on destiny 2 at 4k, so not in a rush to upgrade this gen. The 6800xt is still the bottleneck at 4k120

Soldato
Yeah I know :o
I do want to get the cpu replaced, get those minimum framerates up - everything else is top notch, including 3200mhz memory and an nvme drive, just that I've spent a fortune on a new television that has freesync, plus of course the perfect card to drive it :D

Maybe I will give into temptation and buy myself a 5600 + mobo next pay day ;)

Caporegime
Yeah I know :o
I do want to get the cpu replaced, get those minimum framerates up - everything else is top notch, including 3200mhz memory and an nvme drive, just that I've spent a fortune on a new television that has freesync, plus of course the perfect card to drive it :D

Maybe I will give into temptation and buy myself a 5600 + mobo next pay day ;)
Smart Access Memory (needs Ryzen 5000 series) my friend, 5-10% across various games is not to be sniffed at.

Associate
I wanna tweak my 6800xt more but I don’t even know where to start. My last AMD card was a 5700xt. I think this tuf will hit over 2600mhz with some tweaks.

Associate
Smart Access Memory (needs Ryzen 5000 series) my friend, 5-10% across various games is not to be sniffed at.
Hmmmm, I wouldn't be damm sure about that.
Anyway got mine with the 10900K @5.2 and a decent pair of dual rank B-dies @4266 cl17 and it just rocks.
SAM not exactly but the Re-Bar is working or at least the drivers see that on.

Associate
I wanna tweak my 6800xt more but I don’t even know where to start. My last AMD card was a 5700xt. I think this tuf will hit over 2600mhz with some tweaks.

Hi, I'm a newcomer as well (my last Radeon card was a Sapphire 290 X-Trio), anyway I use this manual (saved) profile on my daily gaming, not bad:

Last edited:
Soldato
I seem to be getting a lot of frame drops on games with my new 6800XT, just randomly drops a bunch of frames, all adaptive sync options are off on monitor and on the radeon settings.

Im wondering if its power related, ive got a 750w psu which id have thought would have been spot on for that.

Caporegime
Every fps game ive tried on it. Borderlands 3, Resident Evil 3, Chernoblite etc.
Has to be a local system issue. Have you tried a selective start-up in case you have any background apps causing issues?

To reboot in a selective startup:
Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, enter MSCONFIG and click OK.
Under the General tab, click "Normal startup" if it is not selected already.
Under the Services tab, put a check on "Hide All Microsoft Services" and then click "Disable All."
Under the Startup tab, these will still be disabled in Windows 10 in the Task Manager.
Click OK on the MSCONFIG window, and then click Restart when prompted.

Soldato
I seem to be getting a lot of frame drops on games with my new 6800XT, just randomly drops a bunch of frames, all adaptive sync options are off on monitor and on the radeon settings.

Im wondering if its power related, ive got a 750w psu which id have thought would have been spot on for that.
Psu won’t be a problem as I’m using the same watts psu.

make sure you ain’t daisy changing the cables going into the card.

If your using a 10 bit panel, change it to 8bit with free sync on.

change your min and max clock speed, for example 2400max/2300min. Has to be at least 100mhz difference.

Maldonado, make sure you’ve picked the right pci express gen speed in the motherboard bios as that has caused issues before if your using a riser cable

Back
Top Bottom