Need a recommendation for a quality office chair

Soldato
Yeh, looks like I'll have to cough up for a herman Miller or something. I don't want to end up buying another one in a years time.
I found my Vitra Meda on eBay just by chance. Process is basically - search fancy name, set distance to 5miles, see what comes up. I think I paid £120 - brand new it was £2,499.

E.g. search Vitra, Herman Miller, Humanscale, SteelCase. Essentially office chairs that cost a fortune but have been put into storage for ages because they were surplus/office shut down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294372127943?hash=item4489f234c7:g:EeoAAOSwsOdhMMZ2

Soldato
OP
I found my Vitra Meda on eBay just by chance. Process is basically - search fancy name, set distance to 5miles, see what comes up. I think I paid £120 - brand new it was £2,499.

E.g. search Vitra, Herman Miller, Humanscale, SteelCase. Essentially office chairs that cost a fortune but have been put into storage for ages because they were surplus/office shut down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294372127943?hash=item4489f234c7:g:EeoAAOSwsOdhMMZ2

Good advice, thanks. Should be plenty on the market really as so many offices have shut.

Soldato
If your spending that long in a chair, like me - 10/12 hours a day - 100% spend the money.

Bought herman miller aeron refurbished for £550 at the start of lockdown - fabulous. Coming from a solid Ikea Marcus, which was very good for 6/7 years, but the Marcus is not a patch on the Aeron.....

Spend the money, totally worth it.

Associate
I've tried Aerons, Leaps and Freedoms. The Aerons were poor for me, the Humanscale Freedom is great but the arm rests recline which was a deal breaker for me and the Leap ended up as my favourite.

I've bought three brand new ones to date for home use and when I need another I'll do the same.

Soldato
I have a second hand HAG SoFi -- Had a very old HAG low back before that.

To me they are very good chairs especially after sitting in some at Staples.

Soldato
I don't get on with Aerons...I've never been a able to get them comfortable, and they are massive and heavy.

Been using a Steelcase Please V2 since lockdown started and it ticks every box. The best thing is the articulating lumbar support, so whether you are sat up straight, or reclining, the lower back area is really well supported. Smart looking, small footprint. Best chair I've ever used, and I've worked in a lot of well equipped offices!

Got mine refurbed from corporate spec.com.

Associate
Not sure on the rules for posting external links but there's a contractors forum with an extensive thread on office chairs would be worth a read. To echo what was said before Herman Miller and you cant go wrong. I got an embody back in 2010/2011 still going strong. Sold new they come with fantastic lengthy warranties so buy right buy once. Aeron is a classic go to. When big corp offices go bust or close you get used ones floating around at very affordable prices.

If I was buying now? I dont think the embody would be worth the extra over something like the Mirra 2. You can source them for 300ish used which is a no brainer to me.

Associate
Looks like the Mirra can be had for £399 fully refurbished. Does that sound a good bet?
yeah thats where I'd go with my money. Unless you like the gamer style chairs more hard to see what you'll get better for that money imo. Built to last so no qualms with refurbs. I broke one the arms once in a rage smash about 4 years in. Provided proof of purchase, they sent a guy up from midlands and he swapped it no bother. All fairly modular. Treated it nicer since and no other issues to report.

Soldato
OP
yeah thats where I'd go with my money. Unless you like the gamer style chairs more hard to see what you'll get better for that money imo. Built to last so no qualms with refurbs. I broke one the arms once in a rage smash about 4 years in. Provided proof of purchase, they sent a guy up from midlands and he swapped it no bother. All fairly modular. Treated it nicer since and no other issues to report.

Will probably go with a refurbished herman miller. I'm not a huge fan of gamer style chairs. Wondering what sort of standard they are likely to be refurbished to though.

Soldato
Refurbishment standard really varies. Mine is a simple Vitra Meda and it came "as-is" but has been bullet proof. Almost 20 years old too!

jGHe2lD.jpg

Soldato
no covid shortages, or, the reverse - where are they manufactured

Another home office improvement - especially if the company/chancellor are contributing, split the budget on a standing desk - obviate the chair.

Back
Top Bottom