***Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice***

Soldato
Interesting posts!
I'm not really sure about all the translation differences in Sekiro as I haven't seen that much of the English version but there are quite a few for sure. One notable difference is the Folding Screen Monkeys, which in Japanese are called Miruzaru, Kikuzaru and Iuzaru, it's a wordplay on a proverb "mizaru, kikazaru, iwazaru" - "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" and directly alludes to the Three Wise Monkeys. "Saru" means monkey - "seeing monkey", "hearing monkey" and "speaking monkey". The Three Wise Monkeys were Mizaru - "see not", Kikazaru- "hear not" and Iwazaru- "speak not". When you think about the qualities of each monkey, it makes sense:D There's even a comma after Iuzaru, implying there's one more which... is invisible:D
Thank you very much for that, fascinating stuff. Just another example of how deep Sekiro goes and how much love went into making it.
Did you see anything noteworthy written on flags and banners around the castle? This was bugging me for ages :)
I thought the combat in Nioh was the best I'd experienced, but Sekiro takes it to another level. The best swordfighting mechanics ever, imo.
I agree. Nioh is also my second favourite now, Dark Souls relegated to third. Where Sekiro mechanics are unique is how you not only evade attacks but interact with every strike, attempting to perfect your timing for each every one of them. It feels like actual fencing somehow.

Feel a bit empty now though. Contemplating playing DS remastered or DS2. I have a PS4 (non pro) will that play BloodBourne Ok or is it ?
I felt the same (and still do actually - Sekiro's void is impossible to fill I found. DS3 did ok, and now I'm really enjoying Nioh - after snubbing it for years for how it looked on youtube. It is free on Epic Games store right now, well worth trying if you haven't already. I don't have a PS4 though and can't comment on Bloodborne.

Soldato
Thank you very much for that, fascinating stuff. Just another example of how deep Sekiro goes and how much love went into making it.
Did you see anything noteworthy written on flags and banners around the castle? This was bugging me for ages :)

I don't think I paid enough attention to that at the time:p I recall catching a glimpse of a flag with "lightning" (I think, but the lower radical looked a bit different IIRC) and "dragon" on it. Not much else, maybe I should revisit and look around:p

As for playing Bloodborne on base PS4, I wouldn't. The engine is pretty bad unfortunately and runs poorly, if 30fps wasn't enough of a problem.

EDIT: Sorry, something went wrong and my reply got into the quote and it stays like that even if I edit it, first time that's happened to me:/

Last edited:
Soldato
Happened to me as well when I replied from my phone. I put it down to my phone browser acting up.
I don't think I paid enough attention to that at the time:p I recall catching a glimpse of a flag with "lightning" (I think, but the lower radical looked a bit different IIRC) and "dragon" on it. Not much else, maybe I should revisit and look around:p
Cheers! I have mental picture of these early game generals standing in front of traditional Japanese banners. Like Tenzen Yamauchi after the chained ogre, and even the very first one - Naomori Kawarada - are standing by some flags. Would be weird if they simply said "lightning" or "dragon"... or would it... Not sure :)

Soldato
It was a compound of lightning and dragon if I read it right as I only looked at it for a brief second, I'll look at banners and flags on YT playthroughs to see if there's anything I can make out:p

Soldato
Installing Nioh today to see if it can fill a bit of that Sekiro void. If not, I'll probably try to get all achievements in DS3 out of boredom (covenant items grinding, ugh) or grab DS1 Remastered.

Soldato
NGL, Nioh's combat is good, but it's no Sekiro! :)

Neither is DS1. That one might feel quite slow in comparison.

I'm still feeling a bit of a post-Sekiro gaming void, tbh...

Yeah, I tried it, combat feel pretty nice but a bit awkward and the game is somewhat arcade-y and flashy.

I know DS1 is very slow and methodical (and clunky:p) but I'm somewhat attracted to its simplicity compared to Nioh and its over-the-top nature and menu diving.

Not sure about some of the locations though, but the game is held in such a high regard when it comes to lore and level design that there must be something special about it.

Soldato
If not, I'll probably try to get all achievements in DS3 out of boredom
You've not finished the DS3 DLCs yet, or have you? :eek:
combat feel pretty nice but a bit awkward and the game is somewhat arcade-y and flashy.
This is what put me off Nioh initially - over the top, arcadey, lots of floating numbers with damage stats, flashing lights like people are fencing with xmas trees and not medieval weapons, demon summoning, 5 weapons hanging on the back of the main character, etc ...

Having now got into it properly myself, I now understand that much of the above depends on the player's choice. If one chooses so, Nioh can become an easy game (magic+spirit weapons= easy vs kill all bosses on the first try) with terrible aesthetics and arcadey 30 hit combos (these are still hard to pull off though). The continuum of other choices include a super hard game (Iga ninja level boss killed me with one hit - 100% health to 100% dead), mostly beautiful aesthetics and Sekiro/DS3 like combat.
NGL, Nioh's combat is good, but it's no Sekiro! :)
I was amazed to find that "deplete enemy's stamina to get a brief deathblow chance" was not Sekiro's invention. Being aggressive and not allowing enemies to recover stamina was also in Nioh befroe Sekiro. Same with stealth backstabs, pressing block at the very last moment to parry (Nioh actually has several different parry options with a single katana). Not to say that Sekiro did not do all of that better - it did, on all counts . But, Nioh's combat still ranks high on my "worth playing" list :)

Nioh's big downfall (apart from being inferior to Sekiro lol) is that it does not protect the player from poor gameplay choices. Well, that, and the xmas lights special effects during fights cannot be disabled. But, while some people's Nioh experience can be summed up be the pic below
Nioh-Screenshot-2021-09-19-18-40-59-58.jpg
:D
It can also be like in my quick compilation below:

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I haven't finished the DLCs, got a bit sucked into Yakuza:p I'm in AoA but wanted to try grinding covenant items and it takes so damn long that I don't think I'll bother, especially that I cannot see myself doing some of the blander areas again and rolling through Farron till NG2+:D Maybe I'll have a change of heart later as I'm trying my hardest to convince myself it was better than it was:p

Not regret playing it in the slightest but I bet it's much better if you're a PvP build maniac and I'm not into that. The base game was a bit too easy as well.

From other news, looks like God of War might be headed to PC after U4 so there's something to look forward to. There's an optional boss in that game much harder than anything in base DS3 and the combat is great.

I didn't rate the combat too high at first but when I really started to experiment, it became super fun and visually excellent. Lots of stuff you can pull off. Also, great use of mythology and overall decent storyline.

It was a tad overrated IMO but it's still a strong experience on most accounts, has quite a lot of content and is challenging on higher difficulties.

Soldato
I'd play GoT myself, though it has that air of a Ubisoft open world game with a samurai skin on and I imagine it'll get a bit stale after xx hours.

I don't like axes either but I do like the Leviathan Axe:D Won't post combat compilations due to spoilers:p

Soldato
I'd play GoT myself, though it has that air of a Ubisoft open world game with a samurai skin on and I imagine it'll get a bit stale after xx hours.
I also get that Ubisoft wiff (bleuurgh) from it, and also sure that it will get stale fast, but can't help wanting it still:)

Soldato
It's Sekiro Fan Club thread now - which is cool with me personally :)

On my side, I've tried Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order and given up after about an hour due to the sloppy and unsatisfying (compared to Sekiro of course) light sabre combat mechanics. It could have been amazing, but ended up average at best, and I just don't have the time or the drive to play average games nowadays
Just competed Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, on Grand Master difficulty all the way through. Final boss mopped the floor with me all evening yesterday (cue the usual Sekiro/Souls thoughts "its unfair, its broken, its impossible" ), but the force was strong with me this morning I took her down comfortably. Isshin's schooling on controlled aggression and "Hesitation equals defeat" was very helpful of course. Fantastic game, the only Star Wars game that I ever liked. And imo GM difficulty makes a huge part of the experience - the fear, the doubt, the hesitation, the frustration, the mental overload - exactly the things a Jedi needs to conquer :)

Fight mechanics wise I would rate it below Sekiro, but above DS3 and Nioh - love,love,love the light sabre parries (on GM difficulty again).

Back
Top Bottom